Mosaic Tile Border Tips? - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Mosaic Tile Border Tips?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General contractor specializing in kitchen and bath remodeling and design
Rewards Points: 415

Mosaic Tile Border Tips?

I have been running into issues with mosaic bands in showers. As you know often the tile on the walls is thick and the mosaic that is chosen as an accent band is usually thinner. To take care of the thickness issues I have shimmed the space out with ditra but that doesn't do a lot to help with variation in the wall. By the time you install 12x24 tile horizontally and level it out the space between the face of the tile and the wall can vary from 1/2" to 3/4" to 1" depending on how wavy the wall is.

Any tricks to get your mosaic to set smooth and flush without spending hours trying to get it to lay perfectly flat and flush?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

Re: Mosaic Tile Border Tips?

I have very recently started spending time before installing my substrate, using levels as straight edges and planning studs and shimming as needed to get a surface that is within a 1/16" of flat. It takes too long to get better than a 1/16" but it is well worth your time to get it within a 1/16". Average shower is taking me about 30 - 45 minutes if it's bad to start with (last two were).

That will take care of the issue you have with a wavy wall. If you have a 1/2" variance on the wall, that's a big issue in my opinion that needs correcting before you tile.

A 12x24 will have some crown in the tile, at least all the ones I've laid have. But usually no more than a 1/16" total. I use a grout float for a quick set of them, and then go back with my hand and fine tune as needed.

Then you can use Ditra, or Kerdi, or whatever thickness material you need to bring the mosaic out flush with the tile.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General contractor specializing in kitchen and bath remodeling and design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
I have very recently started spending time before installing my substrate, using levels as straight edges and planning studs and shimming as needed to get a surface that is within a 1/16" of flat. It takes too long to get better than a 1/16" but it is well worth your time to get it within a 1/16". Average shower is taking me about 30 - 45 minutes if it's bad to start with (last two were).

That will take care of the issue you have with a wavy wall. If you have a 1/2" variance on the wall, that's a big issue in my opinion that needs correcting before you tile.

A 12x24 will have some crown in the tile, at least all the ones I've laid have. But usually no more than a 1/16" total. I use a grout float for a quick set of them, and then go back with my hand and fine tune as needed.

Then you can use Ditra, or Kerdi, or whatever thickness material you need to bring the mosaic out flush with the tile.

That is really good advice. I have been running into this issue mainly as of late with showers doing for a builder so when I arrive there is already drywall so I can't make any adjustments for a wavy wall. On my remodel jobs where I am the one framing and boarding I never have that kind of variance. To make the matter harder the builder is super picky on the slightest variation in the mosaic. I have pretty high standards so I want it pretty flat and flush but when you have a thin 1x1" mosaic against 12x24s how perfect is just unreasonable?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevarino For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (06-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 408

Have you tried applying the mosiac to kerdi and then installing that whole piece over thinset? It will allow you to adjust the height quite a bit without having lots of squeeze out around the mosaic tiles. It also makes for a smoother surface of the mosaic tiles.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Have you tried applying the mosiac to kerdi and then installing that whole piece over thinset? It will allow you to adjust the height quite a bit without having lots of squeeze out around the mosaic tiles. It also makes for a smoother surface of the mosaic tiles.

Not yet, I was thinking about a way to secure them together so you could mount them as a unit. I hadn't thought of Kerdi but yeah that would eliminate squeeze out which is a pain in the neck especially on really small tile.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
That is really good advice. I have been running into this issue mainly as of late with showers doing for a builder so when I arrive there is already drywall so I can't make any adjustments for a wavy wall. On my remodel jobs where I am the one framing and boarding I never have that kind of variance. To make the matter harder the builder is super picky on the slightest variation in the mosaic. I have pretty high standards so I want it pretty flat and flush but when you have a thin 1x1" mosaic against 12x24s how perfect is just unreasonable?
How do you prep and tile over this drywall that you mention?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Pro

Unmodified thin set and Kerdi.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
Unmodified thin set and Kerdi.
Kerdi. Ok, gotcha.

So how plumb are the corners you're working with (that's my pet peeve)?

Not too often, but I have successfully mounted mosaic on a band of kerdi (as mentioned), then installed. The trick is making sure it will fit the space the way you want it to. For me it was best to not have any excess membrane past the edges, then shim it up and in.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

Fill mosaic band area with thinset, notch a tile to slip in the thickness of mosaic and setting material and and screed it. It will then be evenly trenched out.let harden overnight and set tile..
Old 07-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

You can also lay them face down, thinset the back and let harden ..way easier to handle . we also pregrout some with epoxy sometime.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #11

Trade: Tiles
Rewards Points: 28

Kerdi or thinset. Any will do.

Advertisement