Kerdi Over Painted Walls - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Kerdi Over Painted Walls

Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: general, remodeling specialty
Rewards Points: 183

Kerdi Over Painted Walls

Hi guys, I just finished my first kerdi shower upstairs, It was a 5x7 with a couple stub walls and steam also. I've done dozens of showers the old way, with vapor barrier and cub. i really like the kerdi system and everything went well, even the 60 feet of rondec bull nose i installed. It took awhile to get the hang of that.
The bath in the basement, an after thought by the homeowner, has a tub with painted drywall. The paint has cured for a good 2 months. Can I install kerdi membrane over this? I'm using unmodified ditraset for thin set. I plan on roughing up the paint and proceeding as normal. Any problems with doing this?

Thanks, Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 614

Re: Kerdi Over Painted Walls

My two cents......wall side of kerdi......sand and a wall paper scoring tool (light use) with a high quality modified thinset. Whatever you can get in your area. Silicone between tub and kerdi.

The un-mod on the tile side (if the tile are large format). Silicone between tub and tile.

Advertisement

Last edited by JackP23; 05-11-2014 at 06:20 AM.