How You Deal With Washing Buckets And Tools On Jobs - Tiling - Contractor Talk

How You Deal With Washing Buckets And Tools On Jobs

Old 07-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 346

How You Deal With Washing Buckets And Tools On Jobs

We usually try to scrape the solids out and then rinse and use a green scrub pad and then find a place to dump the dirty water. All depends if its a small job or large job. Small jobs I just throw the buckets away so I don't leave any mess. But larger jobs that would get expensive quick not reusing buckets for mixing multiple times. Just wondering how others do it. I hate leaving a mess and try to make it look like I was never there. But that can be hard when you have to mix multiple buckets and keep washing them out.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,525

Re: How You Deal With Washing Buckets And Tools On Jobs

I move some mulch in a safe place (no fancy plants), dig a little bit, and pour the dirty water in there. Cover it up when done. Slop goes into a bag.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
EthanB (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 916

Just a thought, bring your own large waste drum (55 gal. with sealing lid) to site. Leave it on truck/trailer and empty when you get back to shop.
98crewcab (07-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
If my PO asks,I set tile

Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Rewards Points: 1,160

Washing buckets? What is this task you speak of? Havent needed to do that for years.
Attached Thumbnails
How you deal with washing buckets and tools on jobs-100media36imag0260.jpg  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Evan1968 For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-12-2015), mikeswoods (07-10-2015), platinumLLC (07-11-2015), rrk (07-12-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,092

I usually have a dumpster on big jobs. Small jobs I bring several buckets. We use a few for wash buckets. Next day we dump the water and scrape out the solid waste.

The wash buckets get washed in the starting wash bucket.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 290

We're relatively rural so I usually just scrape them out well and then pour the water in the woods or under a big evergreen bush. I've done the mulch scraping trick many times as well. It's one of those things that I've found is good to just include in the "here's what we're gonna do" talk with the HO before the project starts. That way it doesn't look like you're trying to bury toxic waste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-11-2015), Rio (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

The whole bucket situation.

Get some totes to dump grout/thin set/empty bags/scrap tile etc.

Efficiency in your mixing station. I have a tarp @ 5x8', heavy duty, everything sits on top. 5 gal buckets for mixer, thin set. I brush out with little water after each mix, you don't want hardened chunks of thinset getting under tile.

I dump the small amount of water into my mixer bucket.

The waste water can kill plants, so I pour wherever plants shouldn't grow, underneath and then cover with surrounding material(leaves,mulch,stone) A good nozzle with jet opening to minimize water use.

I won't buy 4$ buckets unless necessary. I bought about 30 that were in the sun for 25 cent each but they ended up cracking. A painter will have buckets they can give or sell you. I've taken some out of dumpster, I asked sherwin Williams for a contact.

Here's the brush I use, it works well for everything, patch trowels, adhesives to keep teeth open, thinset, etc. just a little dawn soap for adhesives. Keeps trowels clean and a joy to start next project.How you deal with washing buckets and tools on jobs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436613915.798820.jpg

Last edited by MIKE ANTONETTI; 07-11-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,092

$4 buckets, that would suck. They are only $2 here and my SW shop gives them to me for free.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
Pro

That's at Home Depot or Lowes, vicinity shopping I think it was Porters? Orange paint store I paid 6 and change each. I will never go there AGAIN.

I know a couple of painters and I've asked, when they get a bunch accumulated, call me and I'll buy em. They smoke pot though, and that system doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by MIKE ANTONETTI; 07-11-2015 at 06:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKE ANTONETTI For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
If my PO asks,I set tile

Check out some local hot dog and burger joints. Pickles come in the 5 gal pails and they usually keep them to sell to contractors. I know guys that buy them for .50-$1.00 each.
I get my buckets from a large food manufacture here locally. I did the plant managers bathroom floor at cost in trade for all the buckets whenever i need them. I give him a call to tell him im coming down and a guy with a forklift meets me to load a pallet right on the truck. Sometimes its even shrink wrapped!
Im spoiled!
Attached Thumbnails
How you deal with washing buckets and tools on jobs-0423100938.jpg   How you deal with washing buckets and tools on jobs-1221111355.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

I used to get mine from a Burger King. My father in law knew the manager so I get the free hookup. They were pickle buckets so they stunk but were the right price. At one time I had several hundred.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,898

When in the city with no really good place to dump, if one is careful, the toilet has a minimum of a 3" waste line. Obviously one has to pay attention and don't dump a bunch of half set mortar down the line but with that caveat it's a practical way to get rid of clean up water.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

For most jobs the only water waste I produce is grout wash water. Tools get scraped off and cleaned with the diamond grinder. mixer gets smacked with a hammer every now and again. I use rubbermaid totes to mix in you can break out hard mortar and grout.
I do not use a wetsaw unless it is stone or the tile will not score strait.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 240

I throw away thinset buckets all the time.. I get stacks of paint buckets for free from the guy who stripes all the soccer fields around here.

Wash water buckets get reused. I let them sit for a day to settle, pour off the liquid wherever and scrape the funk into the garbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Splinter For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
If my PO asks,I set tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio
When in the city with no really good place to dump, if one is careful, the toilet has a minimum of a 3" waste line. Obviously one has to pay attention and don't dump a bunch of half set mortar down the line but with that caveat it's a practical way to get rid of clean up water.
You are playing with fire.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evan1968 For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (07-12-2015), rrk (07-12-2015), TNTRenovate (07-12-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
Designer/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan1968 View Post
You are playing with fire.
Thanks for the heads up, haven't really been involved with it for quite a while on a commercial basis. If I may ask, what is the danger of pouring diluted tile work water down the sewer? Is this a problem with sewage plants?

On the property we have that's on a septic system we have a washout area, don't really do much work with cement products but occasionally wash out buckets and tools. I've kept an eye on the weeds there and they seem quite healthy, indeed with the water they're growing really well.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

At one of our current jobs we have a garden plot about 3 x 5 feet. Except for a few small planting areas, most of the property is covered with concrete, and any spills flow onto the sidewalk or the street, which is unacceptable. With the owner's permission we dug a 2-foot hole in the garden plot. We have 5 or 6 cleanup buckets going at all times, settling out various sediments. After a bucket has settled out some we dump the clearish stuff into the hole in the garden, and the sediment gets scraped and rinsed into another bucket reserved for that purpose. Once every few days the sludge in the garden hole gets shoveled into a bucket to go to the dump, and at the end of the job we'll dig it out a little more, then fill with topsoil.

All this leads to a lot of care with cleaning before getting to the water stage. All the tools and mixing containers for drywall, plaster, thinset, etc., get scraped very carefully, and end-of-day cleanup looks like a dishwashing setup more than job site cleanup, with scrubbies used more than a spray nozzle.

We go through a fair number of buckets.

Once the employees get used to it it's not difficult. We clean paint brushes but my employees are forbidden to clean rollers - between the water and the time, it doesn't make sense.

Some of the local cities have a zero-tolerance attitude about clean-up and spills, and the ready mix trucks and pump subs lay tarps, boards, etc. on the road and sidewalks. After a pour there is no evidence that they were there.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 07-12-2015 at 04:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:07 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,910

We have laws here to protect the environment..........Too bad no one enforces it.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:13 AM   #19
Pro

Well I've not tested dump water with a pool ph test strip, but since it's mostly from Portland I'm assuming it's high (alkaline) PH, I wonder if neutralizing it with some acid prior to dumping on ground would help for sensitive areas. I kind of consider it weed control.

Two things, companies I've worked for, one had to pay for big palm tree they killed from dumping wastewater, the other someone rinsed out epoxy buckets in grocery store or plant and it clogged drain line, I think they had to bust through slab, the owner said it was expensive.

Last edited by MIKE ANTONETTI; 07-12-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #20
Designer/Contractor

Quote:

Some of the local cities have a zero-tolerance attitude about clean-up and spills, and the ready mix trucks and pump subs lay tarps, boards, etc. on the road and sidewalks. After a pour there is no evidence that they were there.
In California any runoff of construction material is against the law. We're governed by the California State Water Quality Control Board and they have imposed some of the most draconian penalties in the country.

Usually on every permit that has plans the plans have to list the BMP's (Better Management Practices) that will be used to manage and prevent any runoff of anything from the site, including dirt, big fines for that if your silt fence or straw wattles fail.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-12-2015)