Help Me Out. Complete Bathroom Tiled. - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Help Me Out. Complete Bathroom Tiled.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Trade: Tile Installer

Help Me Out. Complete Bathroom Tiled.

Hey guys! I am im need of advice. Ive been doing tile for the past 4 years and to this day i still have trouble making eatimates, quotes, for my labor and time i spend prefecting my work, and i wanted to hear your opinion/advice on how much this would cost ( attached pics) in a list and its prices.

More info:
·Installed all of the field tile, each piece is 13inx 48in. Really long tile. It took 2x as long with the small bathroom and the pony wall being in the way. ~150sq.ft

·installed the mosaic tile as an accent wall.
~40sq.ft.

· shower pan And tile

· soap niches X2
· windiw wrap
·a wave running along the room.

Another thing I want to know is, after the builder made a decision that he wants the niches, window, and any side to come out 3/8-1/2 for the inside tile to get covered up. However, after I installed everything, he didnt like that the edges didn't look good so he bought aluminum silver schluters... After re doing them with silver schluters, he said he would actually like white schluters better, which I changed again. Don't ask me how I feel about it! Lol. I don't know how much to charge for all this work and labor that I did . I do know I spent close to 2 weeks working on this. Since so many changes anda also had to wait for more tile because the builder oredered exact amount without the extra 15-25%

Side note: pony wall black slab is not set yet since it doesn't over lap tile on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-814b9a6d-3e33-4e98-aa33-945a6f059f0f_1528155184514.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-5fe14fd3-8615-4aaa-abc1-7aa305af87f2_1528155199856.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-997b54d7-cca6-4993-8b44-7bc3ef14bc07_1528155248696.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-563ebb12-8be8-4b38-a648-898e57946203_1528155276580.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-3ad3df0a-cef1-4b57-b395-c5c0d454c27b_1528155309749.jpeg  

Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-8c60a845-193d-4a03-943d-90273c8db277_1528155323470.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-84e6eac4-3243-4c2e-af60-639d7098d5f8_1528155392009.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-f3fb3c7a-f5e2-4e67-82fb-270f2e554e66_1528155403087.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-8c5edbed-6f26-4e76-b00d-c4768e2f5b26_1528155418534.jpeg   Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-836d815b-c2a2-42ed-b243-a64f4c923b99_1528155439238.jpeg  

Help me out. Complete bathroom tiled.-1fc1487a-dd81-4852-94a2-d361d71cd500_1528155465458.jpeg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 202

Re: Help Me Out. Complete Bathroom Tiled.

wtf...you tiled before sheetrock?

we do not do prices here as there are way too many variables.

you might be better off at www.diychatroom.com

Advertisement

Bull Trout (06-04-2018), Caleb1989 (06-04-2018), sunkist (06-05-2018), TNTSERVICES (09-19-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,088

smh

Old 06-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 222

If you’ve been doing this for 4 years, you should have a square footage rate for each type of tile, and application. Subway is more expensive than 12x24 etc. You’ve got to get more money for changes, and also make recommendations when talking about the job to minimize changes. Ie, you could have recommended the white schluter corners to the builder instead of doing his lame idea haha

Last edited by Caleb1989; 06-04-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Lol huh? How do you even tile something without durrock/sheetrock?

I do have prices, but I've been doing most of my jobs for a tile shop where they would set the prices and when there are changes you bill them for it with your own price.

Now, i am starting to work straight with builders, no tile stores/shops as the middle man. So I have most of my prices set, what I am trying to understand is, how would I charge for a change? Do I make a reoccurring charge X3 for each niche, and window?

Also, I have advised many things to him, but he thinks he is always right and does it his way, and in the end I still get some blame on me.... There are people like that in this world 😕 sad truth.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 30,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarikmarar View Post
Hey guys! I am im need of advice. Ive been doing tile for the past 4 years and to this day i still have trouble making eatimates, quotes, for my labor and time i spend prefecting my work, and i wanted to hear your opinion/advice on how much this would cost ( attached pics) in a list and its prices.

More info:
·Installed all of the field tile, each piece is 13inx 48in. Really long tile. It took 2x as long with the small bathroom and the pony wall being in the way. ~150sq.ft

·installed the mosaic tile as an accent wall.
~40sq.ft.

· shower pan And tile

· soap niches X2
· windiw wrap
·a wave running along the room.

Another thing I want to know is, after the builder made a decision that he wants the niches, window, and any side to come out 3/8-1/2 for the inside tile to get covered up. However, after I installed everything, he didnt like that the edges didn't look good so he bought aluminum silver schluters... After re doing them with silver schluters, he said he would actually like white schluters better, which I changed again. Don't ask me how I feel about it! Lol. I don't know how much to charge for all this work and labor that I did . I do know I spent close to 2 weeks working on this. Since so many changes anda also had to wait for more tile because the builder oredered exact amount without the extra 15-25%

Side note: pony wall black slab is not set yet since it doesn't over lap tile on the sides.
So you didn't provide pricing to the builder, for which he agreed to along with terms in writing, BEFORE you started working?...

And what exactly are you going to say to him when he says "oh, I didn't think it would cost THAT much"...

From what you've posted in limited fashion, it sounds like you don't have a contract and thus are relying on a verbal agreement. The challenge is, it doesn't sound like you agreed to anything verbally... whether that's a price for the work being done, Change Order policy/pricing, jobsite delays due to inadequate orders, etc.

I guess a starting point is your two weeks... assuming you know what your actual hourly rate is (and that is NOT just what you personally make per hour), you have a rough estimate of what that is... then you need to add materials plus markup, overhead and then on top of it all, PROFIT...

Labor
Overhead
Material
Profit
THEN you need to add your Change Orders for the added work. From what you posted don't be surprised if he tries to say "I thought that was included" riff, because you didn't post otherwise...

Based on what you've posted, and assuming there is no contract, whatever number you come up with, I'd encourage you to make sure it's all inclusive (incl. CO's and delays) and then multiply it by a factor of 1.25 to get your final number (got a feeling there is a lot you're not taking into consideration)... he may just do you right, but if he balks, the CO's and delays plus 25% value can become your negotiating point and your actual Labor, Overhead, (L/O make up your hourly rate) Materials and Profit for the main will be covered...

At least then, your tuition to the school of hard knocks won't be as expensive...

Last edited by KAP; 06-04-2018 at 07:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

Or could I just charge a completely separate price for all the changes, or another idea, maybe hourly instead? I wanted to know how much you guys would charge/do in my situation. Since I think my set prices are a little too low. For this bathroom, I charged $9 prep and install and grout.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Or could I just charge a completely separate price for all the changes, or another idea, maybe hourly instead? I wanted to know how much you guys would charge/do in my situation. Since I think my set prices are a little too low. For this bathroom, I charged $9 prep and install and grout.
It's irrelevant what we would charge, as it only matters what you charge.... does it cover the cost of being in business and making a profit for your company? Way too many variables... location, business size, employees versus sole proprietor, how much YOU want to make each year (one guy is happy making $50K/year and another $100K/year - that one metric alone makes someone else's pricing irellevant)...

It why it's not discussed... it's a waste of time... how to DETERMINE pricing is another matter...

Last edited by KAP; 06-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Makes sense. I am not worried about the payment. since my brother is a tile Installer who introduced me and he has worked with him for a couple years, also said to charge whatever I feel comfortable with, and as a sole proprietor, and a apprentice working for me in Seattle area, I want to get a fair price that isn't up the a** but a price that would both make him (Builder) and I happy. the info above is very helpful. I will consider all of that. Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #10

So a change order delay is something that would normally get put on the invoice?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
So a change order delay is something that would normally get put on the invoice?
A Change Order is normally that... a Change from the original Order... a jobsite delay due to inadequate material being onsite is another separate item but usually covered in a Change Order or policy provision... policies for both are normally included in your contract... you don't have a contract apparently, and you've listed some additional info that's a little outside the norm, so in your case, he might just be expecting a final all-inclusive number...

Refer to post #6 on ways to address it... but being that you stated "he thinks he is always right and does it his way", you might be better off asking him how he'd prefer it before submitting it... just be prepared to defend your number with facts...
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 108

How the hell does someone not know how much to charge for their time especially if that amount of time is already known? I'm not in business to make my client happy with the final invoice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (06-05-2018), KAP (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,949

You do fine work, which means the right people will pay/reward that kind of work.

That's 5k in labor only, easy, and probably more..but we're not talking about prices, so take it with a grain of salt.

Agree on all the pricing beforehand, and exactly what's entailed (scope of work), and also discuss the cost of making any changes, etc.

Btw, the builder is pushing you around...because he senses weakness. Reset that relationship politely and quickly.

Last edited by MarkJames; 06-04-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Fugetaboutit

Trade: Professional fixer upper
Rewards Points: 428

Nobody is gonna tell him:

Charge 'bout Tree Fitty
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunicy For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (06-05-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #15
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 368

I am still trying to understand how you tile before the ceiling is rocked. How do you tie in your waterproofing?
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunicy View Post
Nobody is gonna tell him:

Charge 'bout Tree Fitty
Lately,
We've been saving that one for the really....

Advertisement