Ditra SET ...no Slake Needed - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Ditra SET ...no Slake Needed

Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 809

Ditra SET ...no Slake Needed

I picked up a couple bags of ditra set from my supplier the other day and it was in new packaging. After i mixed a bucket i was letting it slake and as i was sitting there i started to read the back of the bag and under the mixing instructions it said " not necessary to slake". Just to be sure i called my supplier and she called there ditra rep who told her that they said that bostic was talking a bout doing the no slake but he did not know that they did it yet. any way that saves me ten or fifteen minutes of time each mix.

nicko

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: Ditra SET ...no Slake Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
I picked up a couple bags of ditra set from my supplier the other day and it was in new packaging. After i mixed a bucket i was letting it slake and as i was sitting there i started to read the back of the bag and under the mixing instructions it said " not necessary to slake". Just to be sure i called my supplier and she called there ditra rep who told her that they said that bostic was talking a bout doing the no slake but he did not know that they did it yet. any way that saves me ten or fifteen minutes of time each mix.

nicko
The core concept of slaking if I understand correctly is it gives time to hydrate the polymers, then the re-mix helps them bond together. With unmodified it just the hydration of portland.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
The core concept of slaking if I understand correctly is it gives time to hydrate the polymers, then the re-mix helps them bond together. With unmodified it just the hydration of portland.
yes but the all ditra set i have used in the past said to let it slake for fifteen minutes. now all of the sudden no slake. Just wondering why the change

nicko
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
yes but the all ditra set i have used in the past said to let it slake for fifteen minutes. now all of the sudden no slake. Just wondering why the change

nicko
No idea.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 852

I was also taught that crystals form in the thinset (cement). And the slake time allows crystals to begin forming, then remixing breaks those up so there are more individual crystals and they mesh together stronger as they continue to form.

I used a Laticrete thinset on a job a few months ago that also did not call for slake time. Guessing they've reformulated the mix?
The Following User Says Thank You to dsconstructs For This Useful Post:
Golden view (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Slake.....I am the only one around here I have ever seen let the mix slake. One guy even accused me of phucking the dog because I was letting it slake. Kudos to you guys.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Slake.....I am the only one around here I have ever seen let the mix slake. One guy even accused me of phucking the dog because I was letting it slake. Kudos to you guys.
Says it right there on the bag. Tell that guy to eff off.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
CrpntrFrk (08-20-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
I slake when called for by the instructions.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Hydration is the goal.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
Hair Splitter

Ardex does not need slaking. They can also be reconstituted. I am switching to Ardex. Rep is meeting me Wednesday on site to go over their products. They have some pretty bad arse products.

EDIT: I will also add that you need to follow all of the directions on the bag, that includes proper mix proportions.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,522

The reason they changed that is because with Ditra tile is not adhered to the substrate, instead its mortared to the DITRA underlayment, which in turn, is mortared to the subfloor. This is the most important factor in this system to prevent the transmission of movement which in turn the main cause for tiled floors to crack.
As some of us know, sand been used for 100 and more years as a non-rigid layer of material between the substrate and the tile to prevent cracking, so Ditra is pretty much does the same function but its a bit more advanced system than using a sand sand layer and provides waterproofing on top of that. Therefore they changing that slaking is not required with Ditra.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
The reason they changed that is because with Ditra tile is not adhered to the substrate, instead its mortared to the DITRA underlayment, which in turn, is mortared to the subfloor. This is the most important factor in this system to prevent the transmission of movement which in turn the main cause for tiled floors to crack.
As some of us know, sand been used for 100 and more years as a non-rigid layer of material between the substrate and the tile to prevent cracking, so Ditra is pretty much does the same function but its a bit more advanced system than using a sand sand layer and provides waterproofing on top of that. Therefore they changing that slaking is not required with Ditra.
Is this post suppose to make sense?
TNTRenovate (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,056

I notice many thinsets firm up a lot when slaking, then you mix them smooth and they stay smooth much longer. I think some early quick hydration happens in that first 10 minutes, maybe from finer particles. If slaking wasn't a step, it might encourage mixing too loose to compensate.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I notice many thinsets firm up a lot when slaking, then you mix them smooth and they stay smooth much longer. I think some early quick hydration happens in that first 10 minutes, maybe from finer particles. If slaking wasn't a step, it might encourage mixing too loose to compensate.
I would stick to the instructions on the bag. Much smarter people than us (chemists) spent a lot of time and money coming up with the correct formulas. Ardex stresses using their measuring cup and mixing to there spec. If you are too thick then you might not have the right thinset for the project. That's why I love my reps.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Is this post suppose to make sense?
Leave him alone he went to Schluter 1 training. At least I think that was where I heard it.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I would stick to the instructions on the bag. Much smarter people than us (chemists) spent a lot of time and money coming up with the correct formulas. Ardex stresses using their measuring cup and mixing to there spec. If you are too thick then you might not have the right thinset for the project. That's why I love my reps.
I was just commenting on what I think slaking is and is good for, when the instructions call for it. I've never really seen a technical explanation.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by charimon View Post
Leave him alone he went to Schluter 1 training. At least I think that was where I heard it.
Oh man he must be an expert if he's got his Schluter 1!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
DITRA underlayment...this system to prevent the transmission of movement which in turn the main cause for tiled floors to crack.
When ditra first came out--OK and the next 8 years...and probably still to this day, it wasn't an "anti-fracture membrane", it was an "uncoupling membrane". Get your propaganda straight.

There were/are many anti-fracture membranes, but only one "uncoupling membrane". Truly majik....whatever that is....
Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
When ditra first came out--OK and the next 8 years...and probably still to this day, it wasn't an "anti-fracture membrane", it was an "uncoupling membrane". Get your propaganda straight.

There were/are many anti-fracture membranes, but only one "uncoupling membrane". Truly majik....whatever that is....
I didn't come up with that, Ditra did, so you need to get your facts straight

With that said,there is no magic in it as you put it, simple concept when you understand how different forces work between tile movement and substrate movement bellow, maybe you get the basics, you will stop wondering what makes ditra perform as it does... Not to mention that before Ditra hit the market in USA, waterproof composite sheet membrane for stone or tile been used since the early 80's, at least when I started using that in every tile installation.
So uncoupling or not it makes no difference, and as long as you use isolation system or now days it's called "Crack Isolation system" which used in concrete, stucco, etc you will never have a single installation failure.

Happy learning my friend, it's always fun, always new and that's why we here one happy CT family
Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
General Contractor

Quote:
Oh man he must be an expert if he's got his Schluter 1!
It's Schluter 101, you try try it to understand better... I'm just saying

Advertisement