Demo Recommendation - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Demo Recommendation

Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Paint and Floors
Rewards Points: 54

Demo Recommendation

Putting a bid in for a GC for demo and removal of 4400 sq feet of tile. It is 18'' on concrete. Just saw the blueprints and haven't looked at it in person yet. Won't come up with the final bid until I actually see the place.
Most of my tile removals are small remodels, 300-400 sq ft at a time. I usually use hammer drill, prybar and hammer to start and prep the floor as appropriate.
I never have removed this much at one time before. What are some suggestions on tools to rent, techniques, things to consider. The floor has to be taken down to concrete and ready for tenant finish when leased. My plan was to have a 3 man crew chip of the tile and thinset then grind the floor smooth with a floor grinder.
Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: GC, remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Demo Recommendation

Hey, I am no expert at this, but I have done it the same way as you have just described. I have had great success with this in most cased, but once in a 10 x 10 bathroom it took me an entire day to get the tile off the floor and grind the entire floor as none of the mortor broke loose from the concrete slab. Will never underbid this type of work again.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Tile Contractor

Trade: Ceramic and Natural Stone Tile Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

There are companies that specialize in this for a reasonable price. I would find one and tack on a buck per foot for my troubles.

I know of one in Louisville, don't know if they travel to Indy. I'll see if I can get a number.

Last edited by HS345; 03-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HS345 For This Useful Post:
dan_s (03-08-2012), TNTRenovate (03-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Paint and Floors
Rewards Points: 54

Thanks Greg, ill give them a call, have to look at it before I decide to sub out or give it a try. I have used the walk behind models before, never this large. Figure I will take up some tiles at the door in the middle and at the far corner to see how it will be. And of course bid with some wiggle room for hours.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: hardwood floors
Rewards Points: 250

That hurts my back thinking about it. We always use the Hilti 908 hammer. Chisel but then the flex bit. Have someone spray it with water as your using it to keep the dust down and keep the bits cool. Pump up sprayer works really good! Then grind it clean with diamond cup wheel.

Demo recommendation-image-862566787.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Demo recommendation-image-3605093600.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams,b View Post
That hurts my back thinking about it. We always use the Hilti 908 hammer. Chisel but then the flex bit. Have someone spray it with water as your using it to keep the dust down and keep the bits cool. Pump up sprayer works really good! Then grind it clean with diamond cup wheel.

Attachment 67523
That's the way to do it...be ready for numb fingers, hands and fore arms...you will be shaking till the next day!
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Mad Italian

Trade: Licensed Mason/Owner of small business
Rewards Points: 2,004

I would probably also just jack-hammer it...if you put some small holes in concrete,you can just pour self leveling over floo or patching compound over dents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Master View Post
I hate when a profitable job becomes a charitable write off.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Mad Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
That's the way to do it...be ready for numb fingers, hands and fore arms...you will be shaking till the next day!
He works out

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #9

Trade: tile installer
Rewards Points: 25

I do all my own tear outs two people if its under 1000 can usally get it done in a day I did a couple of 6000 feet tear outs with a crew of six in a day I just rent a couple of stand up hiltis with the 8 in flat blade they definately work the best on the thinset for popping the tile ip I just use a one inch bit to pop it up as long as the tile is 12x12 or bigger its always pretty simple also the long stand up 4inch.scrapers are awsome for thinset removal dont hire someone else and lose money you could be making just put some elbow grease and time into it a couple if 8$an hour helpers and youll be good to go besides every tilesetter needs big tear out experience itll help you learn for the future id charge at least 2.50 sq ft
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heathwwilson For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (03-10-2012), TNTRenovate (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Mad Italian

pricing questions are sort of frowned upon here...information you provide is valuable but i would not say how much i would charge.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Tile Contractor

Trade: Ceramic and Natural Stone Tile Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathwwilson View Post
I do all my own tear outs two people if its under 1000 can usally get it done in a day I did a couple of 6000 feet tear outs with a crew of six in a day I just rent a couple of stand up hiltis with the 8 in flat blade they definately work the best on the thinset for popping the tile ip I just use a one inch bit to pop it up as long as the tile is 12x12 or bigger its always pretty simple also the long stand up 4inch.scrapers are awsome for thinset removal dont hire someone else and lose money you could be making just put some elbow grease and time into it a couple if 8$an hour helpers and youll be good to go besides every tilesetter needs big tear out experience itll help you learn for the future id charge at least 2.50 sq ft
Companies that do demo charge far less than that. You could hire it out, save your back, still make a buck, and let the illegal aliens go back to where they came from.

Eight bucks an hour? Really?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathwwilson View Post
If you can get $2.5/sf, that's pretty good. Down here the going rate is a bit less.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSaustin View Post
If you can get $2.5/sf, that's pretty good.
According to whom? Numbers are so arbitrary across the board, it doesn't really matter what your opinion is about another's situation. Some people need to make a certain dollar amount just to drive to a site and not lose their ass...even if you could make a buck with that price.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Trade: tile installer
Rewards Points: 25

I dont always get that asking that every time would be robbery especially on somthing over 1000 but if I can tell its going to be alot of trouble move furniture drop clothes dust barriers etc. that's a good number to try to be at or,around for tile tearout imo

Advertisement