Stonemakers - Landscaping - Contractor Talk

Stonemakers

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: We perform landscape design and construction
Rewards Points: 75

Stonemakers

Has anyone herd of stone makers and the way they construct retaining walls and others concrete structures with their dealer fee's?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Faux Rock Creations
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Stonemakers

I happen to be friends with the guy. I was trained before there was anyone classified as "distributors".

Its a great process. Simple but your entire crew really needs to know what they are doing.

http://www.innovationlandscaping.com for more pictures.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: stonemakers
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you Justin... I also consider you my friend.. and yes thats why we have training...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #4

Trade: Natural landscape enhancer

I'm sorry maybe I'm a purist but I cannot stand this technique. There are a couple walls around the Hudson area which I've seen and they just look down right fake, like im in an episode of the "Flintstones" or something. In my opinion there is no substitute for the real thing, you get what you pay for. I am also curious to see what these creations look like 20 years down the road as I can already see efflorescence on some of the ones done locally. Just my .02.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
J Meloche

Trade: Landscape Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma71t View Post
I'm sorry maybe I'm a purist but I cannot stand this technique. There are a couple walls around the Hudson area which I've seen and they just look down right fake, like im in an episode of the "Flintstones" or something. In my opinion there is no substitute for the real thing, you get what you pay for. I am also curious to see what these creations look like 20 years down the road as I can already see efflorescence on some of the ones done locally. Just my .02.
yeah i'm with you. not sure where this look would b appropriate in the landscape.

i especially like this line from the website: "Our concrete walls are far superior to block walls. Block walls are flexible walls and will sag overtime."

properly constructed SRW walls with geogrid SAG? really? amusing.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: stonemakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma71t View Post
Yeah and block looks real too right??? I have been a real rock mason all of my life.. the problem you have now mr. purist is that people couldnt pay my prices and it took so long to install my walls and fireplaces..
This product was developed to not only be structural but attractive..
If you have time i can show you some of the new products and walls that you would not even be able to tell the difference.. Price wise you cannot compete with a wall that is installed without forms and installed in a day not a week or a month.. with the American middle class being removed by our political system and the banks there the money is not going to get any better right now so this system is out of the box and not only durable but attractive and best of all AFFORDABLE. I know a lot of purist back west who are purist out of work.... and that you cannot take to the bank...
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #7

Trade: Natural landscape enhancer

fair enough on the affordable aspect of this technique, but price is not always #1. Unfortunately in this economy it has become the primary thought on most consumers mind and i guess the customer is always right. however just because they are "right" doesn't mean they have any taste, i hear people all the time saying that crappy stone work looks good. I guess for me it comes back to one point, INSTANT GRATIFICATION its just the American way. Not only does the customer want something they cannot afford so badly that they will settle for an inferior substitute rather than "save up" to get the real thing, but the contractors play right along with it and want to "take it to the bank" rather than put in some sweat equity and build a reputation which will keep you busy no matter what the economy looks like............. Basically Its just depressing to see the demise of the true craftsman because of instant gratification.....oh and one more thing "team empowerment" I can see two running vertical joints and one running horizontal joint in your avitar, just FYI
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,494

While I'll agree with both of you.....the demise of the craftsman, and people's desire to have stonework (even if it is.......fake) I was sent to this link http://www.boulderscape.com And it seems like a natural for these types of jobs.......huge retaining walls, zoos, sound walls, etc. Still, I would like to see it in person.....

Advertisement