While Waiting To Become Licensed - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

While Waiting To Become Licensed

Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Trade: c-27
Rewards Points: 82

While Waiting To Become Licensed

I just dropped my California landscaping contractors license application in the mail yesterday. This morning I received an offer for doing a job that's larger than I am legally allowed to do until I am licensed. I recall reading somewhere (but can't find it now) that if you are in the process of becoming licensed that its okay to take on a larger project. This doesn't seem correct, but I remember reading it. Am I missing something?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 134

Re: While Waiting To Become Licensed

You aren't allowed to do anything over 500 without a license. If you don't have a number you are not licenced. Imo I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize your application.

I started framing my first home before my number was issued. I was accepted, passed the tests, and was bonded. Just didn't recieve my number yet. I was told I wasn't officially licensed even then. It was a gamble but I would at least wait until you are accepted. Jmpov.

Advertisement

Last edited by Calidecks; 06-02-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

No, you cannot accept that job until your license number is issued. If problems occur you could loose it before you get it.
Calidecks (06-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
School Director

Trade: CA Contractor's Exam Preparation
Rewards Points: 170

Californiadecks is correct with one small correction. You must be licensed if the job you are bidding on is $500.00 or more. So, greater than $499.99. Once you know your number you are legal to bid. Applicants can get their number online before actually receiving it in the mail.