Underground Fiber Optic Licensing Requirements? - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

Underground Fiber Optic Licensing Requirements?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #1

Trade: Underground Fiber Optics
Rewards Points: 10

Underground Fiber Optic Licensing Requirements?

Hello,

I am currently serving in the US Navy, but I am getting out in a year. I am trying to take the steps necessary to open a small family owned fiber-optics underground utilities company. I have been looking into the requirements for this type of work and am having a hard time finding what I am looking for. I will be based out of NC so if anyone has any info. please respond.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Underground Fiber Optic Licensing Requirements?

What do you mean when you say "underground fiber optics utility company"? Do you mean you want to be a Utility Company like Con Ed or you want to be a Local Exchange Carrier like AT&T or Verizon where you lease fiber to people or do you want to run private fiber underground for companies? Each is going to require a different set of licensing et al. For the LEC you will want to look into getting yourself certified as an ILEC and would go to the FCC and PUC. If you want to be like Con Ed then its off to the PUC. If you just want to lay fiber runs then its going to be at least a specialty license and possibly a commercial GC one and I would talk to NC's licensing board for those requirements.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to tbronson For This Useful Post:
Bulkeley84 (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 752

Installing underground fiber is commonly done by Electrical Contractors both High & Low voltage. It is somewhat a specialty mainly due to the terminations. For you to be successful you will have to incorporate at the minimum other low voltage wiring/devices. Depending on where you want to set up shop will determine what kind of license you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
MattMatt

Trade: Remodeling/Renovation
Rewards Points: 75

If you are looking to do "outside plant" fiber installations, then I would question how successful you can be. FO requires a lot of specialized (and expensive) equipment to do properly. Fusion splicers and OTDR will set you back a lot of coin. There are also a lot of areas that have existing fiber capacity that is not currently being utilized.

If you really want to explore opportunities in this field, I would look at PON.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhafner View Post
If you are looking to do "outside plant" fiber installations, then I would question how successful you can be. FO requires a lot of specialized (and expensive) equipment to do properly. Fusion splicers and OTDR will set you back a lot of coin. There are also a lot of areas that have existing fiber capacity that is not currently being utilized.

If you really want to explore opportunities in this field, I would look at PON.
Yep. Its quite expensive in terms of startup and the profit potential has shrunk over the last 10 years.