Trying To Decide Which Test To Take - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

Trying To Decide Which Test To Take

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Trying To Decide Which Test To Take

I'm in WV and I've got my business and law test complete and am studying for the trades test now. I'm in the flipping home business, buying foreclosures and doing the work myself and selling. I know that I don't need a contractors license to do work on a house I own but it's been a goal of mine to be licensed. I am thinking of testing for the remodeling and repair contractors license. Any upsides or downsides to having this license? Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

Re: Trying To Decide Which Test To Take

I know we are in two different states but here you do need a license to do what you are doing. You are making a profit so it is a business thing and that is how they view it.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,040

CrpntrFrk (love your avatar)

If he is doing this as an investment, as long as he is not doing anything that requires a permit (hence a trade license is needed), he can do anything he wants. Painting, flooring, trim-work, landscaping, etc...

If he is full-time, that's all he does, depending on how many he does a year, he would be classified as a dealer. He should be using licensed trades anyway, as he still needs them for the permits. A contractors license is not required in this instance because he is not working for someone else, but himself. He has no idea who he is selling it to and there is no contract for the work being performed...

The license he is looking to get would mean he would be doing remodels for others on a contract basis. It's not necessary for what he is doing, but if he has it, he can do projects for customers between flips or GC them...

Last edited by KAP; 02-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

KAP, you're spot on. That's what I'm doing. Getting the license for side jobs and what not. I'm selling 4-6 houses per year so it'll just be in between jobs here and there. I guess my question was should I take the Remodeling and Repair Contractors test or the Residential Contractors test?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemike View Post
I guess my question was should I take the Remodeling and Repair Contractors test or the Residential Contractors test?
Based on your stated goal, I would think the Residential Contractors test...