Thanks California Gov. For Nothing - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

Thanks California Gov. For Nothing

Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
huntington beach, ca.

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 250

Thanks California Gov. For Nothing

A friend of mine wants to build a 20,000sq ft restaurant/hall and some more condos etc.. on property he has owned for 20 years. He already has built up condos on the property but many years back.

This is a city that most likly doesn't get 1 new building permit every 10 years and houses are going from 400k to 130k. So anyway the city was very excited, that he wanted to come build.

So this last visit, they have told him for every unit he builds, the permit fee will be $35,000 and the commercial building they want atleast $150,000. They figured the fees could literally be half million before they even start building.

Everyone is pretty stunned, obviously I was planning on this work for my guy's, which would of been atleast a year project. Now he says its impossible to build. They are taking this to city council, but I doubt anything will come of it.

Doe's anybody know who we should contact and try to come to an understanding? maybe the govenor and congressman?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,380

Re: Thanks California Gov. For Nothing

An attorney experienced in construction law, that also knows civil government. Outside of that, move to a sane state.

I am doing a 70 acre tract development. 24 building lots, basic road. Want to know how many "fees" I have to deal with? ZERO. I have to submit my plat to out country commissioners, ensure there are no water issues, like flooding, not disturbing any natural wetlands.....and that is it. my expenses are for the legal fees for the title, and surveyor's costs.

Granted, this is Oklahoma.....I can't even begin to imagine what this would entail in Oregon, or California....

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (03-13-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,319

Would this be the city of Bell perhaps?? After the city council fiasco that occured there, I'm sure they want as much $$$ as they can wring out of us!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,600

. So anyway the city was very excited, that he wanted to come build.

I bet they were
Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Calif Licensing Expert

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board
Rewards Points: 1,624

This is in Orange County??? nuff said. lol

City and State agencys always bow down to political pressure. They should go to their assembly member of congressman for help. Talk about how they will bring jobs and money to the area, etc etc.