Has The CSLB Dropped The Ball By Not Beefing Up Enforcement? - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk
View Poll Results: Are you interested in protesting at a media event in front of the CSLB next year?
Yes, keep me informed on the date. 2 100.00%
No, it's pointless. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Has The CSLB Dropped The Ball By Not Beefing Up Enforcement?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,024

Has The CSLB Dropped The Ball By Not Beefing Up Enforcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortscott View Post
Competing against the hordes of unlicensed hacks in advertising is OUT OF
CONTROL.
The CSLB has NO idea how to deal with the problem due to the sheer number of
operators in every California city. Day labor fills Home Depot parking lots,
specialized posters create professional ads for these thieves and fill
electronic and print media with illegal postings.

ENOUGH! We intend to put CSLB on notice. Tackle this problem NOW, before it
becomes irreversible and our license is worth nothing. If we go out of
business, they will.

For more info about the UCA and what we are doing, visit our website:
gouca.org

Link to the UCA video:
gouca.org/uncon/ucv

You can help move our agenda forward by sending this e-mail to as many
contractors as you can.
You can become a member of the UCA for $55.00 a year. We are non profit, all
dues collected keep the fight going, and fund a suit against publishers that
allow illegal advertising.
Send to:

UCA
P.O.Box 13416
Sacramento, Ca. 95813

(916) 749-5333
e-mail [email protected]
I'm in. I have been bitching about this for years. I've been inderbid on jobs and had them taken away by unlicensed mopes and I've turned them in via the "hotline". NOTHING has ever happened as a result. The CSLB takes NO action regarding this problem. Occasionally they will, as you know, set up a sting operation where they advertise a job and then bust the unlicensed guys who come and submit proposals. Wasting the time of licensed contractors in the bargain when they also show up to bid.
I'm looking at tlink right now.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Has The CSLB Dropped The Ball By Not Beefing Up Enforcement?

Nothing is going to change in CA. The state legislature has been run by the left for decades. They're too busy trying to give drivers licenses to illegal aliens and now trying to drive businesses and jobs out of the state by passing that illegal $10 Billion tax increase.

Non licensed contractors and illegals are rampant and there's no enforcement. There's hundreds of illegals lined up in front of HD everyday and the police can't even arrest them. In places like LA county they have special order 40 which prohibits the police from arresting known illegal alien gang members even if the police know they've been deported before. It's a joke!

The only enforcement is maybe once a year they pull one of those undercover stings and arrest a few people. That's it. Most of the time they get jobs by word of mouth or referrals so the people they're getting work from is someone who knows someone. Many contractors don't care cause they just want the cheapest price. I've seen a bunch of contractors that are originally from south of the border and were either given amnesty back in the 80's, or have become citizens after being here from many years and they are sympathetic to illegals so they hire them.

Before anyone starts thinking I'm some racist I'll let you all know that I am married to an immigrant from Mexico who came here legally and believe me the process of becoming a citizen takes years. My wife thinks it's a total slap in the face that she did it the right way and many others didn't and the government does practically nothing about it. There's all these freebies just handed to illegals and my wife got nothing. She worked hard to learn English on her own. She speaks French, English, and Spanish. She works for a fortune 500 company as a financial analyst and works for two gym's as a personal trainer and teaches aerobics classes. She's also building her own personal clientele so that she can eventual work solely for herself doing only that. Her and I alsorun a few days a week and run marathons together.

Craigslist is post after post of unlicensed people offering services. I took a look at LA County today and it's just unbelievable that people can advertise for work and even get hired by a home owner. I'm starting to think CA is the bizarro world where everything is the opposite. Up is down and left is right, and wrong is right. I'm about a inch away of moving out of this state.

Advertisement

Last edited by BKFranks; 12-20-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFranks View Post
Nothing is going to change in CA. The state legislature has been run by the left for decades. They're too busy trying to give drivers licenses to illegal aliens and now trying to drive businesses and jobs out of the state by passing that illegal $10 Billion tax increase.

Non licensed contractors and illegals are rampant and there's no enforcement. There's hundreds of illegals lined up in front of HD everyday and the police can't even arrest them. In places like LA county they have special order 40 which prohibits the police from arresting known illegal alien gang members even if the police know they've been deported before. It's a joke!

The only enforcement is maybe once a year they pull one of those undercover stings and arrest a few people. That's it. Most of the time they get jobs by word of mouth or referrals so the people they're getting work from is someone who knows someone. Many contractors don't care cause they just want the cheapest price. I've seen a bunch of contractors that are originally from south of the border and were either given amnesty back in the 80's, or have become citizens after being here from many years and they are sympathetic to illegals so they hire them.

Before anyone starts thinking I'm some racist I'll let you all know that I am married to an immigrant from Mexico who came here legally and believe me the process of becoming a citizen takes years. My wife thinks it's a total slap in the face that she did it the right way and many others didn't and the government does practically nothing about it. There's all these freebies just handed to illegals and my wife got nothing. She worked hard to learn English on her own. She speaks French, English, and Spanish. She works for a fortune 500 company as a financial analyst and works for two gym's as a personal trainer and teaches aerobics classes. She's also building her own personal clientele so that she can eventual work solely for herself doing only that. Her and I alsorun a few days a week and run marathons together.

Craigslist is post after post of unlicensed people offering services. I took a look at LA County today and it's just unbelievable that people can advertise for work and even get hired by a home owner. I'm starting to think CA is the bizarro world where everything is the opposite. Up is down and left is right, and wrong is right. I'm about a inch away of moving out of this state.
Standing Order 40 is a slap in the face to every law enforcement officer in Los Angeles. And just another example of how this state has become a sanctuary for illegals.
And I'm not to be consiodered a racist either, I have a son whose mother is 100% Mexican. Her parents came here legally and also went through the lengthy process of becoming citizens and learning English. They came here to assimilate into this society, and not be a burden on the system. As it should be.
I am close to leaving this state myself. It has become beyond bizarre. Seems like the less these unlicensed types want to comply with the laws of the land, the more profitable their illegal businesses become.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Calif Licensing Expert

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board
Rewards Points: 1,624

It's only going to get worse come February when the Gov puts us on furlough two days a month!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Calif Licensing Expert

Let me just add that even though the cslb is self funded, they will not spend more on enforcement. Whatcha see is whatcha get. They believe they are top of the heap and will really only do what they feel is best for them, not the industry. Did I just say that out loud?
Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortscott View Post

Contractors Complain About New Job Center
By Matea Gold
December 20, 1997 in print edition B-3
A newly opened job center in Hollywood where day laborers wait for work is under fire from local contractors, who complain that the center is unfairly promoting the services of unlicensed workers.

Citing a flier for the center that advertises roofers, painters and plumbers, contractors complained that the city-funded center gives an advantage to the laborers, most of whom are not licensed by the state.

“We’re not against these people working, but we definitely think the contractors are being nailed by this,” said Andy Stewart, who owns a plumbing and heating company near the center. “We pay every single little fee, and it’s hard for us to compete when they don’t have to comply with anything.”

However, city building and safety officials said that providing a place for unlicensed workers to wait for employers does not violate city codes.

Homeowners can hire anyone to work on their property as long as they have the proper permits, said Luke Zamperini, an inspector with the city’s Department of Building and Safety.

“You can hire the guy next door and supervise his work if you want,” Zamperini said. “However, we do recommend that homeowners hire reputable, licensed contractors.”

Located on a parking lot behind a Sears, the Virginia Avenue center opened in October as a place for day laborers to wait for work. It is the first city-funded labor exchange to open in seven years.

Center coordinators, who withdrew the fliers after contractors complained, said people realize that they are employing unskilled laborers, not professional plumbers and carpenters.

“I think the flier was misunderstood,” said Nancy Cervantes, an aide to Councilwoman Jackie Goldberg, who helped set up the site. “These are low-skilled workers helping on jobs. They are not competing with licensed contractors. No one there holds himself out as someone who can complete a job on his own.”

In response to contractors’ concerns, coordinators will provide information at the center about when employers need to hire licensed workers, worker’s compensation and other labor issues.

But the state contractor’s license board, alerted by the complaints, has launched an investigation and last week sent an inspector to the center.

“If it’s a job labor center acting truly in that capacity, then we don’t have a problem with it,” said Dennis Bishop, supervising deputy of the board’s enforcement unit. “But if they’re out there contracting jobs on their own, then that would be a problem.”

Bishop said that if the center is violating state law, it could be cited and fined up to $500.

When it opened, the workers and local businesses praised the project as an example of successful collaboration between day workers and domestic workers.

Dozens of men who had crowded the corners along Santa Monica Boulevard looking for work now gather at the center before dawn. Domestic workers have organized a co-op based at the center to help them get jobs. Organizers also plan job skills and English classes.

The city is spending about $100,000 a year for the program, which includes salaries of three coordinators.

Many workers said they are now able to protect themselves against employer abuses with the help of information about state labor law available at the center.

But the contractors’ concerns have put a snag in the center’s progress, illustrating the difficulties in trying to find a way to organize the massive, mostly immigrant labor pool in Southern California.

Even if the work done by laborers is legal, contractors said they worry that unlicensed workers hired at the center do not have the skills necessary to complete a job.

Cervantes said it is clear that the center is not an employment agency with responsibility for the workers, but simply a safe place where people can hire laborers.

“The center is a solution, not a problem,” she said.
And right down the street from that center, where I have an account and buy lots of materials, is a Stock Building Supply, and you can hardly get into the parking lot in the morning because of all the day laborers loitering around the gate. Same with Pennysylvania Builder's next door.
I nearly had to fistfight one of these "day laborers" once for teasing my dog as she sat in my parked truck.
The government won't touch this problem. It's replaced Social Security as the third rail of American politics. We might see some tightening up along the Mexican border if, God forbid, the next terrorist attack on American soil originates with perpetrators that have entered through Mexico.
Otherwise, we are on our own here. The truth is, you don't need a contractor's license to operate in the State of California anymore. It's unpoliced, and everyone knows the odds of getting caught are slim to none.
Sometimes I feel like a complete idiot for complying and having all proper insurance and licensing in place at all times. It's expensive peace of mind, but it sure as hell isn't something to worry about anymore if you don't have it.
The unlicensed illegal aliens are coddled by the government, and supported by the ACLU to the point where it's unthinkable for the authorities to arrest
them because of all the political ramifications. Maybe all unlicensed contractors are not illegals, but my guess is that in Southern California, the bulk of them are.

Last edited by Bodger; 12-21-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #7

Trade: cabinet sales and installation/ Interior trim inst
Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Like the rest of you, I too am tired of sitting at home twittleing my thumbs, while every unlicensed carpenter in the state and every illegal person is working every day as if nothing is wrong with the economy. I also feel that we must do something to make the CSLB take care of this ridiculous situation that the state of California has allowed to take place here in our state. .
Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Calif Licensing Expert

Quote:
We met with Senator Cox and Senator Steinburg, we are very clear that nothing can change without support from constituents, hence the squeaky wheel.
Excellent!! The cslb does bow to political pressure. I've seen it first hand. Keep going in that direction.

Here's a story to give you a hint at the board's mindset...

I went to board meeting here in sac. I brought up the issue of bringing the "school" into the fold because we can help cut back the amount of poorly submitted apps. Thus cutting back on back logs and streamlining the process. Mr. Sands spoke up quickly trying to shut me down (you see, he and I have history. I worked for him at the architects board before he followed me to the cslb) but I refused to be hushed. I told the entire board that they were doing the construction industry a disservice but shutting out people like me who are here to help contractors get thru the system with minimal stress. At that point, the board chair moved on to another agenda item. I left!

The bottom line... they could care less about me, my service, others in the licensing industry. Basically what they are saying is that they dont care about the contractor himself. Why back an industry that helps the 40,000 plus applicants a year? There is nothing in it for them, the board.

Now you did it Fortscott... I'm fired up!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #9

Trade: Sales and Marketing
Rewards Points: 25

This is a problem here as well. Starting the first of the year we will be pressuring state and local officials to change some of the requirements to get licensed, and to crack down on the unlicensed. This is becoming a huge problem all over the place and it"s time people take a stand.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Pro

I just lost work to an unlicensed hack so I'm a little short of funds. Can I just deduct that from my CA state income taxes this year and ask the CSLB to get of their ass and go bust the guy who took my work?
Happy to supply the address where the illegal activity is occuring.

Advertisement

Tags
craigslist , license , pennysaver , unlicensed , video