Getting A Contractor's License Without Taking The Test - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

Getting A Contractor's License Without Taking The Test

Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

Getting A Contractor's License Without Taking The Test

This is a message for the License Guru, who can probably answer it best. The has to do with a C-10 electrical license in California. My questions stem from guy who runs a low voltage company, that often needs high voltage work. We used to be friends, until he started losing touch with reality and got mean and nasty.

I was the RMO for his corporation in the beginning for about 6 years, then I had to start questioning his sanity and the decisions he was making. I quit, he then got an out of state guy (another slimy character that I happen to know) who still had a CA C-10 license, to be his RMO (apparently for a nice monthly price).

Well then, Mr. Slimy disappears, and my former pal, then gets another C10 to be the RMO for his firm. I happen to know this guy too. This C10 swore he would NEVER work for my ex-pal. Well, I guess money can really smooth things over.

The latest is that the C10 RMO quit in June. The same day, my ex-pal is listed as the C10 holder. How does this happen?

The mystery, how did this complete idiot get a C10 license? He doesn't know wiring from spaghetti, AC from DC current, Volts-Amps-Watts are totally foreign to him. He never worked on anything electrical in his life.
But apparently, someone has signed off on experience for him......so how did he do it???

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Design/Build

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 716

Re: Getting A Contractor's License Without Taking The Test

Money talks...

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Contractor View Post
Money talks...
Yes it does. But if he got the license the normal way, he had to take the business and law part, then, the trade part. I understand that the test has got harder over the years since I took it.

Business and Law, I can kinda see him getting through that if he's been studying since I left (about 7 years). But the trade test and having electrical knowledge.....I just don't see it. He's had others take tests for him, but that is pretty tough when it comes to the contractors test.

I doubt that the C10 RMO that he had would be able to take the test and pass it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
Design/Build

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 716

I hold a NJ electrical license and had some employees whom I thought would never pass able to pass after taking a review course, so either he passed or had someone go in for him. My guess is he passed.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Calif Licensing Expert

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board
Rewards Points: 1,816

If you're sure he didn't take the exams, then he must have requested and was given a "listed on license" waiver.

If the classification had been on the license for at least 5 good standing years out of the previous 7, he could qualify for the waiver. And receive the waiver if his application was submitted properly.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 50

I used to have a boss with his B license... thing was, he knew *nothing*. I always assumed he crammed for the test and somehow snuck by.

Advertisement