General Home Improvement License In Hillsborough County, Florida - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

General Home Improvement License In Hillsborough County, Florida

Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Majeztic

Trade: Home Improvement Professional
Rewards Points: 10

General Home Improvement License In Hillsborough County, Florida

Hello everyone. I am looking for clarification on contractor licensing in Hillsborough County, Florida.

I have looked into licensing in the past and unfortunately I am not eligible because I do not have 4 years experience working under a licensed contractor. I have 16 years experience, 7 working for others and 9 working for myself, unfortunately my prior experience was not working for a "licensed" contractor.

On the DBPR website, it clearly states that "Paint, install cabinets, wood or tile flooring, and insulation regardless of compensation." does not require a license. In addition, my Hillsborough County business tax is for cabinet installation, tile work, painting, drywall, and trim carpentry which, according to the tax collector, does not require county licensing.

So...

1.) What types of jobs am I legally allowed to do without being licensed?

2.) With the exception of having a licensed contractor qualify my business and/or going back to work for a licensed contractor for 4 years to gain the experience, are there any other methods available to be eligible to obtain a contractor's license?

I appreciate your time in reading this and I thank you in advance for any responses.

Last edited by Majeztic; 02-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

Re: General Home Improvement License In Hillsborough County, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeztic View Post
In addition, my Hillsborough County business tax is for cabinet installation, tile work, painting, drywall, and trim carpentry which, according to the tax collector, does not require county licensing.
From what I'm seeing from your counties website, you need to be licensed for Drywall, Painting and Tile.

http://fl-hillsboroughcounty.civicpl.../Home/View/379
Attached Thumbnails
General Home Improvement License in Hillsborough County, Florida-capture-hillsburough-licensing.jpg  

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Trade: Hotel Interior Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 31

Off subject but... Where in Hillsborough County are you located? I grew up North of Plant City. My Father owned a cabinet shop and construction company there for 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Majeztic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
From what I'm seeing from your counties website, you need to be licensed for Drywall, Painting and Tile.
...I guess I am looking for something more concrete, like a law or statute.

When I applied for my business tax, there were a few categories that they would not allow me to get because I did not possess a competency card or license for that type of work (if I remember correctly, they were related to remodeling in general). Thus, I assumed that since a competency card or license was not required for the business tax that I did purchase, that I was allowed to perform those services (cabinetry, painting, drywall, etc.) without a license.

I guess I need to contact the licensing department tomorrow.

Last edited by Majeztic; 02-18-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Majeztic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigW View Post
Off subject but... Where in Hillsborough County are you located? I grew up North of Plant City. My Father owned a cabinet shop and construction company there for 40 years.
Tampa.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Trade: GENERAL CONTRACTOR

Have you considered using a general contractor qualifier to qualify your business with the DBPR? If this is a possibility let me know as I am a certified general contractor located in the Tampa area. Thanks for your time. Additionally I can advise you that the services you are offering if they were offered anywhere in the Pinellas county area the PCCLB which covers that area would consider it contracting without a license and they do pursue their cases very aggressively.

http://www.pcclb.com/meetings.htm

Last edited by billw1874; 01-15-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: link added
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Majeztic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw1874 View Post
Have you considered using a general contractor qualifier to qualify your business with the DBPR? If this is a possibility let me know as I am a certified general contractor located in the Tampa area.
Yes, I have considered this option and would be interested in talking to you about it. What is your business name and how do I get in touch with you?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Majeztic

I spoke with the county contractor licensing department and confirmed which trades are and are not regulated by the county.

They informed me that the following are not regulated and do not require a license at the county level:

Trim Carpentry
Cabinetry Installation
Decorative Metals (?)
Waterproofing
Countertop Installation
Floorcovering - Wood, Laminate, Carpet, Vinyl (no tile or marble)

I do not believe that any of those are regulated by the state either.

I guess to be legal, I need to stay away from tile, paint, and drywall. This is fine because I want to focus on the finish carpentry work and custom cabinet and built-in work anyway - this just forces me to!

Last edited by Majeztic; 02-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

Trade: GENERAL CONTRACTOR

Just sent you a private message with my contact info.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw1874 View Post
Have you considered using a general contractor qualifier to qualify your business with the DBPR? If this is a possibility let me know as I am a certified general contractor located in the Tampa area. Thanks for your time. Additionally I can advise you that the services you are offering if they were offered anywhere in the Pinellas county area the PCCLB which covers that area would consider it contracting without a license and they do pursue their cases very aggressively.

http://www.pcclb.com/meetings.htm
Hi guys, I have been a painting contractor for over 20 years. My licensed GC partner has moved away and i am left without a license to perform painting work in Hillsborough County (Tampa). I was hoping to find a licensed GC/BC, that i could partner with in some agreeable way so i can perform a paint job i have scheduled to do in a couple of weeks. I have never been in this position before so i don't know exactly what to do. I live in Manatee County where licenses are exempt. Help me please.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Calif Licensing Expert

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board
Rewards Points: 1,714

Contact www.licensesetc.com They might be able to help you.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to License Guru For This Useful Post:
LisaAdams (04-09-2013)