GA Residential Basic Contractors License. - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

GA Residential Basic Contractors License.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

GA Residential Basic Contractors License.

I have some questions about qualifying for the contractors license.

Okay, so the requirements state that you need to have worked for a residential contractor for at least 2 years. Also, you need to have successfully completed at least 2 residential-basic projects in the past 2 years.

By Contractor, do they mean GC? 2 Residential projects........do these projects need to be permitted and inspected? Do you think 7 years of commercial experience with a GC would be sufficient? How about a degree in Construction Management? Before all that, I built cabinets for 6 years (and still do on the side).

None of the projects I have done over the past 2 years have been permitted or inspected. Just wondering if anyone had any similar problems. I'd hate to spend the money on GL to find out they won't consider me.

Good luck getting anyone to answer these questions at the SOS. I tried, if you have a connection, I could use it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Re: GA Residential Basic Contractors License.

So, I've found my answer elsewhere by doing a little stalking. But hey, sometimes you've got to do what you have to do right? Apparently, my situation never happens. Usually, it is the other way around. People get the residential basic license because it is the easiest to get. Then, they want to do commercial but they can't.

If you get the residential basic license then you will never be allowed to do a commercial project. And you can't do multifamily projects either. There are many contractors stuck in residential basic unless they hire someone with commercial experiences, let them take the test as an agent, then do a few projects that are commercial in nature.

The bottom line answer is that you absolutely have to residential basic projects as your projects. You cannot substitute commercial for this. Now, if you did, they would reject it. You could appeal and have the actual board review your case and they would make the call. You'd probably win but it would take time and that's not what most of us have a lot of.

So, I'm going for a residential and light commercial license so I still have an avenue to chase commercial projects. I am limited in what I can chase, but, as long as I have a few commercial projects within the 4 years prior, I could apply for a GC limited tier license once my net worth is over 150k.

Hope this post helps someone else.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rdr8887 For This Useful Post:
NL80 (01-05-2013)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 22

Re: GA Residential Basic Contractors License.

Hey I’m moving to GA from FL and I am trying to get a residential basic for roofing ... my brother is a GC in FL can I use him for the experience? Affidavit? Thanks. And roofing needs the residential basic at least correct?