Florida Painting License? - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

Florida Painting License?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Florida Painting License?

hey just joined glad to be here my question is i have a painting license in arizona and california and soon will have my roofing lic in az but id like to later next year apply for a painting license in florida i checked out there website but didnt see any specialty license for it so do i even need one in florida? my next q is what is the license that just says residential? is that a building license? and last q does anyone know how hard the testing there is if i would have to take one for painting and if they would reconize my other licenses in anyway there website is kinda confusing so if anyone knows please help a brother out thanks...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Florida Painting License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert eagle View Post
hey just joined glad to be here my question is i have a painting license in arizona and california and soon will have my roofing lic in az but id like to later next year apply for a painting license in florida i checked out there website but didnt see any specialty license for it so do i even need one in florida? my next q is what is the license that just says residential? is that a building license? and last q does anyone know how hard the testing there is if i would have to take one for painting and if they would reconize my other licenses in anyway there website is kinda confusing so if anyone knows please help a brother out thanks...
A Certified building Contractors license, is a state license that allows you to build any residential structure and a commercial building up to 3 stories, or 5o' tall max. you can do any non structural work lime a buildout in any height building.

There is not a state painting license, those are county licenses.

A Certified or Registered Division 1 license, General, Building and Residential contractor can do painting as part of the scope of their work.

The state of Florida does not recognize out of state licenses.

All licenses either State Certified, or County, Registered require a test and proven work experience.

A Certified license is valid statewide, while a registered is recognized in the county it was issued in and most other counties will recognize it, but not all of them will.

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have 1 extra q the residential license what exactly does it cover? is it a building license only for residential? You seem to know a lot so when you get a chance let me know thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert eagle View Post
I have 1 extra q the residential license what exactly does it cover? is it a building license only for residential? You seem to know a lot so when you get a chance let me know thanks
The Residential license, either Certified (State) or Registered (County) allows you to do only residential work, it is a division 1 license and it covers painting.

Since there is no state license for painting, the residential contractors license is good for painting, even in commercial jobs.