FL Exam - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

FL Exam

Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 2

FL Exam

I am waiting for my books to arrive for my exam I am taking next month. I wanted to know which of the books pertain to the business portion of the exam as I wanted to get a head start

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 606

Re: FL Exam

Builders guide to accounting, also the Florida Contractors Manual, and all the AIA info,. You may get a better response in the License thread may be a mod can move this,. I also suggest you contact Lisa Adams she is a service provider on CT

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #3

Trade: FL General
Rewards Points: 10

Re: FL Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky McShort View Post
I wanted to know which of the books pertain to the business portion of the exam as I wanted to get a head start
You're in luck because the accounting book is inexpensive and you can get it overnight from Amazon ahead of your other books. In fact, you can often get it for less than $15 used on Amazon.

Believe it or not, the "Florida Contractors Manual (2017)" is going to be the most important book for that exam (not the accounting book as you'd expect).

In fact, over all three exams, the FL Contactor's Manual is the most used book. Sort of a bummer it has a horrible index and TOC's are set at each chapter (rather than in the front of the book).

Also, use your separate Chapter 455 attachment, rather than the 455 statutes that come in the Contractor's Manual.

Here's my best "weighted" summary for you, so that you can see which books are most important -to- least important.
  • FL Contractors Manual (most)
  • Builders Guide to Acct (about 1/2 to 2/3 of the CM)
  • AIA Contracts 201/401/701 (about 1/3 of CM)
  • Florida Statutes Ch.455 (about 1/4)
Good luck with your exam!

And don't forget that's a 7-hour test, so eat just before and take care of any bathroom breaks!

Last edited by FLsun; 07-13-2019 at 06:34 AM.