CRC Exams Florida (contract And Project Management) - Contractor Licensing - Contractor Talk

CRC Exams Florida (contract And Project Management)

Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 16

CRC Exams Florida (contract And Project Management)

I've recently took the Business and Finance portion of this exam and passed with an 85%. I may have poured 100 hours into just those three books alone.

My questions are only in regards to the next two exams Project Management and Contract management (contract law?):

1. The exam material can come from any of these 14 or so books, including the ones that were used in the Business and Finance portion?

2. Are these two tests different in any way? Is certain material stigmatized on one exam more so than the other? If not how do both tests use the same 14 or so books?

3. How much study time should I allocate for these two exams?

I'm over all just curious to see how these two tests are different or whether they're more like one big exam cut in two sections.

Last edited by Nebular; 12-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Re: CRC Exams Florida (contract And Project Management)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular View Post
I've recently took the Business and Finance portion of this exam and passed with an 85%. I may have poured 100 hours into just those three books alone.

My questions are only in regards to the next two exams Project Management and Contract management (contract law?):

1. The exam material can come from any of these 14 or so books, including the ones that were used in the Business and Finance portion?

2. Are these two tests different in any way? Is certain material stigmatized on one exam more so than the other? If not how do both tests use the same 14 or so books?

3. How much study time should I allocate for these two exams?

I'm over all just curious to see how these two tests are different or whether they're more like one big exam cut in two sections.
If you haven't taken the Project management and Contract administration exams yet I may be able to provide some guidance..

1. Books for the exams - I would strongly suggest taking in ALL of the books you purchased and studied from, even the books you used for the Business and Finance test (contractors manual and principals
of accounting for contractors). HOWEVER! you will not be answering the same type of questions for the "trade knowledge exams"

2. The two "trade knowledge exams" are organized completely different than the financial test is. first thing is they are taken in different environments. The last time I took the trade exams was mid 2018. This time, instead of spreading the 2 trade knowledge exams out over 2 different days, we took both of the exams in the same day. They administered the first one in the AM, we took lunch and went right back into taking the second exam. I arrived for testing at 6 AM and left the facility at 8PM
-The trade exam is given in a different environment. it is administered in a very large gymnasium with hundreds of other people taking the same trade knowledge exams for their particular trades. In contrast, for the finance exam, you were probably in a small room , alone at a computer.

-The trade exams are 45?? questions each. the questions are more targeted at safety, best practices, and the information in the rest of the books you have been studying.

-The trade exams are not as challenging as the finance exam for MOST people. HOWEVER, you need to study those books inside and out, highlight information you feel is important and take a TON of practice tests. I would suggest to spend the extra money and take a 4 weekend course like CAMTECH to have their professional staff teach you how to take the exam. You already have so much emotion and money invested in passing these exams, do it right the first time and it will be easy and you will have a license to make as much money as you want.

DOn't be intimidated. It is challenging for a reason and is a major accomplishment when complete. If you don't get it the first time, you can take it again and again.........Good luck

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Trade: FL General
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular View Post
Project Management and Contract management (contract law?)
@leftcoastconst had some good feedback, but my experience differs.

As far as I'm aware, there are only CBT's now days (Computer Based Tests) and they are scheduled individually whenever the local Pearson VUE office can take you, at least one month from your app being approved.

However, that wasn't your question ;-)

If it were me, I'd take the Contracts exam first, because it requires less books. The Project Management exam requires the most books, and most diverse content, by far.

By order of priority, the Contracts exam is weighted about like this (this is entirely my opinion, others may disagree, there is no definitive list)
  • Walkers Estimating
  • P&P Commercial Const (this and next three are tied)
  • Contractors Manual
  • AIA Contracts
  • FBC (std commercial)
  • OSHA OSHA Safety
  • BCSI (for trusses)
  • Design of Concrete
  • FBC (residential)
  • Rebar

I also don't agree that Business & Finance is more difficult. I think it's probably different for everyone. I only studied one day for Contracts and Business & Finance (although I majored in accounting in college).

However, I studied a few days for Project Management because of the diversity and number of books required to cycle.

You really want to have your test-taking methodology down by the time you get to that test. You want to be at the point where you've worked-out your personal strategy, time-management, etc.

I hope that helps, good luck on the exams!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Trade: GC

I’m on the same boat, just passed B&F and not sure what to expect on the two trade exams, I heard there is a lot of math involved but some of the formulas are on the back of walkers.

BTW next year they are removing 3 or 4 or the books for the trade exam and walkers is one of them, HOWEVER you will still be tested on the content based on those books.