What Happens To Home Sites? - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

What Happens To Home Sites?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #1

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 2

What Happens To Home Sites?

Hey all, thx for reading. I'm wondering what happens to home sites that are demoed before further development? Homes were regularly destroyed to make room for the freeway system, neighborhoods are leveled to make room for parks, old businesses and homes are destroyed to make room for new or otherwise. What I would like to know is what happens to the "stuff" that is left behind? Reason for the inquiry is that I metal detect as a hobby when I'm not remodeling. I've been blown away at how few items are left in areas where homes once stood. Logic would tell me that a building that is leveled and hauled away will leave a bunch of small objects behind that settled out of the larger demo rubble. But the evidence is contrary to that. Detectors can sense down to about a foot Max so really that top layer is what we hunt. Where does that top layer under a house go? Do they scrape it off and take it somewhere? Is it sifted? Is it just covered over with new sand and top? Is this stuff lost to land fills? It there no hope of finding that top 12" that used to lay under the floor boards of an old no-basement home? I've detected farm fields and plotted my finds only to see that the tractors had spread the home site all over the place over years of plowing.

I have the same question for roads. History has shown that many roads are placed right over old wagon trails. Do they scrape off these top layers that would contain coins or jewelry and dump it next to the road? Or is it broken up, packed down, and paved over? Are tops returned to gravel companies for sorting and reuse?

Perhaps this is something that has changed over the decades as we became more environmentally conscious?

Ultimately I'm hoping for a better understanding of where I would statistically have the best luck when detecting an old home site or road. Or find out if there is a concentration somewhere.

Thanks guys.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,146

Re: What Happens To Home Sites?

I know a guy who found a Rolex on the beach.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,978

There's no one-size-fits-all answer. Some ex-home sites are left untouched. Some may be completely dug up to several feet down, even below the footings. Others may be buried under additional fill.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,972

If it's a demo site, we'll pull all the soil that has been disturbed, and fill with engineered backfill.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #5

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 2

Seven delta so what do you do with the disturbed that you remove? Does it get sifted or thrown in a home somewhere or what?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,026

Usually what's cheapest that fits the bill is what happens.

A lot of topsoil and like material taken off a site goes to a storage area and gets sold to someone else. It may or may not get screened.

If a building burns or collapses, there is a lot of junk on the ground, so the top layer of soil may get pushed into the foundation hole, and the whole area covered over with topsoil from somewhere. A lot of times, that's done as part if regrading the site. I just left a official OSHA mine operation, and I bet the topsoil they're screening today was hauled in from a jobsite 5 or more years ago.

Last edited by hdavis; 07-09-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Usually what's cheapest that fits the bill is what happens.

A lot of topsoil and like material taken off a site goes to a storage area and gets sold to someone else. It may or may not get screened.

If a building burns or collapses, there is a lot of junk on the ground, so the top layer of soil may get pushed into the foundation hole, and the whole area covered over with topsoil from somewhere. A lot of times, that's done as part if regrading the site. I just left a official OSHA mine operation, and I bet the topsoil they're screening today was hauled in from a jobsite 5 or more years ago.
You mean MSHA? they oversee mining operations

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
You mean MSHA? they oversee mining operations

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yup, either autocorrect got me or I spazed it.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 342

Back in the days, when the wagons road the trails, people didn’t have a lot of coins (Which were very valuable back then) and jewelry to lose.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Adamthebuilder For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-09-2020)