Soil Density - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Soil Density

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Trade: Materials Testing Tech
Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Soil Density

Has anyone had their nuke gauge give inaccurate readings while testing backfill with AC millings? I've requested a sand cone and Speedy but still waiting on my employer. Also one point gear. There is less than 10% oversize and my proctor has been checked several times.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 638

Re: Soil Density

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuked View Post
Has anyone had their nuke gauge give inaccurate readings while testing backfill with AC millings? I've requested a sand cone and Speedy but still waiting on my employer. Also one point gear. There is less than 10% oversize and my proctor has been checked several times.
Huh?

OMG Nuked, you have got to stop smoking those left handed cigs. Homer?

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Chief outhouse engineer

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 786

Quote:

Well, at least your proctor has been checked out!

I have no idea what you are asking or what your doing, but hope you git-r-done.

How bout an introduction and a warm hello...some of us have been digging out of some much less dense substances the last few days and we could sure use a cup of hot coffee.
2. Repeat as often as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkyle View Post
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakzaag View Post
I have no idea what you are asking or what your doing, but hope you git-r-done.
And here I thought it was just me.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,430

Quote:

This guys is asking about soil/material compaction.
A "Nuke gauge" is a contraption to measure density.
A "Proctor Test" relates to how much, %, moisture is in the soil.
Not sure what is being referred to as a "Sandcone & Speedy".

Several years ago we did an experiment w/AC millings & compaction. While it certainly seemed to get good compaction, There were some problems when tested with the Nuke. Too big a spread in readings. We did about an 8'x8'x2' deep area for the experiment.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Is the proctor for millings? I've never heard of such a thing.
If you mean earth backfill with millings mixed in it then of course the nuke won't read right. As for the sand cone and speedy moisture test, again, I don't see how they'll tell you anything useful if you're talking about soil that's "contaminated" with millings.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
How are you mixing the millings with your backfill? Around here we use RAP in place of crushed sometimes (mostly on private jobs) under asphalt. But I've never tried to mix it with my backfill. Are you including your millings in the material they are testing at the lab for proctor values? I think it would be extremely difficult to mix it consistently on site.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500

I've always heard nuke gauges weren't that accurate anyway. You could get a few readings in the same area with the gauge pointed in different directions and get completely different readings.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 764

i've had very bad experiences with nukes.. only to insist on a cone or balloon, and have tests pass...my experience has been.the techs not "prepping the nuke" to compensate for prevalent air moisture content....soil moisture content...maybe i'm too old school...give me a cone or a balloon any day...i'm sure the nukes are great, i think it's a matter of locally here anyway...the techs being properly trained.

i've been pounding soil particles together for over 40 yrs now..i'm confident i have a pretty good handle what it takes to achieve soil density, and "in my face" problems that may hurt me from accomplishing that goal. BUT, if IMO...things are good, tests are not? i insist they pound a new proctor for each test they take. we've had jobs where soil types going back into an excavation dictate that, they change that much, that quick.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Excavation Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

I would imagine that your proctor would have to be created using an average of many, many, samples in order for your readings to average out and be considered accurate. Due to the mixing of materials, you are likely going to have a sizeable variation in consistency unless you are running the material through a series of sand screws, screens, etc. Sord of like lumpy pancakes.....................it all depends on which bite you take whether or not you get batter or cake!!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by cexcavation View Post
I would imagine that your proctor would have to be created using an average of many, many, samples in order for your readings to average out and be considered accurate. Due to the mixing of materials, you are likely going to have a sizeable variation in consistency unless you are running the material through a series of sand screws, screens, etc. Sord of like lumpy pancakes.....................it all depends on which bite you take whether or not you get batter or cake!!

exactly, and if your tests have been fairly consistent, and all the sudden take a dive, you need to insist they pound a NEW proctor...from the soil taken out of the immediate test area.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #12

Trade: residential construction
Rewards Points: 12

I have a lot of problems in the winter on very cold days where the material is freezing as soon as it compacted. The material almost freeze dries to an extent.
Have also had problems with material that is brought to the site is coming from a different part of the pile than was proctored mainly from inconsistent crushing and mixing
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Renaissance Man

Trade: Civil/Sitework
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
This guys is asking about soil/material compaction.

A "Proctor Test" relates to how much, %, moisture is in the soil.
Not sure what is being referred to as a "Sandcone & Speedy".
Sand cone refers to the density test that was the big thing before nuclear gauges. Takes much longer. We have the materials for one but never run them. I'm guessing Speedy refers to a SM (speedy moisture) gauge. Gives you an accurate moisture reading in the field. Proctor tests give you the maximum dry density at the optimum moisture content. Example, Class 7 base is generally 137 pcf @ 7% around here, depending on the material.

For the OP, you could either have 3-4 proctors run (or more based on job size, I think we run one every 3000 CY), or you could have on-site proctors run, and divide that given wet density by the optimum moisture contents given by previous proctor tests run.

Certain materials in soil will cause a nuclear gauge to go crazy, I know cement-stab. soil will screw with your moisture readings. Also, make sure it's completely clean. Hopefully you've gotten the issue resolved by now since it's been 10 days

Advertisement