PVC Pipe Tool Box - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

PVC Pipe Tool Box

Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

PVC Pipe Tool Box

I am thinking of making up a tool box to be carried to the trench with everything needed to lay plastic pipe. We do everything from 1" water line with hose clamps, glued conduit and sewer pipe to 8" gasketed SDR. Anybody already have one you think works. Any tool adaptations or suggestions.

Nick

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: PVC Pipe Tool Box

Somehow quite a few of my clients found out that I can do sprinkler repairs. I set myself up with a box for each size of pipe, 1/2", 3/4" and 1". Granted that's gonna get hard to do once you pass 2" or so but you get the idea. A tote for each size pipe and a single tote for the tools and glue.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by denick
I am thinking of making up a tool box to be carried to the trench with everything needed to lay plastic pipe. We do everything from 1" water line with hose clamps, glued conduit and sewer pipe to 8" gasketed SDR. Anybody already have one you think works. Any tool adaptations or suggestions.

Nick
Nick,
I'm surprised in you, usually you give more information to go on.Are you talking using one of your old lunch pails for a qt. of pvc glue with a few hose clamps and a assortment of barbed plastic fittings for your water linesor we talking the mega 20' shipping containers which is probably the size you would need to carryall this stuff.
1) Electrical Conduit Supplies
A. 1" Sched 40..... couplings, 45's, 90's ( for running to pump chambers)
B. 2" Sched 40.... couplings, 30's, 45's, 90's, caps, mouse
C. 3" Sched 40... couplings, 30's, 45's, 90's, caps, mouse
D. 4" Sched 40... couplings, 30's, 45's, 90's, caps, mouse
E. 1/4" pull rope, string, marking tape, duct tape, BTW you can never have enough couplings, get plenty! PVC cement, get a case.

2) Hancor Pipe Fittings / SDR 35 non gasketed
A. 4" ..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, dwn .spt. caps
B. 6" ..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps

3) SDR 35 Gasketed
A. 4"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, lube
B. 6"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, lube
C. 8'......22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, lube
Note: Now don't forget to get a couple some 4"-6" reducers, 6"-8" reducers and various size configurations of t's and t wye's for #2 and #3

4) Sched. 40
A. 4"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, primer and glue
B) 6"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, primer and glue
C) 8"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, t's, t wye's, caps, primer and glue
D) 2"..... 22's, 45's, 90's, couplings, primer and glue ( for pump force mains, I know out of sequence )

Quit a list and I'm sure you're going to tell me I forgot something On the jobs we do 95% of them I'd say are copper water lines, 3/4", 1", and 1 1/4" so there's a whole nutter big list of fittings, valves, nipples , and other doo dads flare and compression. I try to keep an inventory of what I usually use in the truck as far as the water goes. The other stuff mentioned above even though I try to keep a few in the truck I just order and send out a few extra. We do have a pretty good selection in the bin behind our Model.
I don't know Nick sounds like a pretty big box, post some pics when you get her made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Pro

Now how about Tools?

Nick
Old 04-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Pro

OMG............you better get a 40 footer! No wait you have that big war wagon, you ought to be able to get every thing in there. Whats with the box idea?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

When doing sewer jobs, we use a milk crate to carry a few rags, pipe grease, screwdriver, file and the target.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
Pro

The IDEA is that lately I've watched alot of people lay pipe and I started to look at how we lay pipe. There is one or two guys in the trench with glue and primer. Then someone drops something and there is someone walking to the truck for a rag. Next a pipe doesn't go together for some reason? out of the trench to get something to scrape the pipe of the hardened glue. Then a cut has got a bur and the end of the pipe is hanging up on the gasket, go get??? etc. etc.

I'm watching experienced people go back and forth for things all morning. Then a guy goes to lunch. First he picks up his tools. Then all afternoon he does the same thing he did that morning. This is a very competent guy.

There aren't alot of tools but there are some little things I thought of to put in a box. With the benefit of the intelligent people of this forum to bounce it off (yes Joe I'm talking about you). I thought there may be some gadgets or tricks people are using. How are people cutting pipe? How do people treat the cut end of 6" SDR on a cold morning to get it past the gasket?

Like anything ANYBODY can lay PVC pipe. Some people do it very well! Some people don't know and don't care! I have been asked dig up more than one persons electric conduit that was not able to have a string thru it. And we found pipe that had separated where the pipe was glued improperly and under the weight of backfill had pulled apart.

I also thought if the tools were all together the training of new people would be easier.

Nick

Thanks Joe I just come in from Church and you have to get me going. Good thing I'm going to vist a daughter today.

Last edited by denick; 04-09-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Pro

I don't think it's a trick, but on a cold morning shucks any for that matter you juct keep a screwdriver in your back pocket and when no one is looking flip that pesky old gasket the hell outta there
No seriously for sdr or most pipe we'll cut off with a cordless sawzall, or if we're talking BBBBBBBBBiger pipe then gas cut off saw. I'll take a 4' grinder with a braisive wheel and put the chamfer back around the pipe, lube it up ( just love it ) and shover home.
As far as electrical conduit, it's gotta be on solid ground man, you can't leave 3-6" voids under it then backfill it and not expect things to pull apart or break ( Nick I'm not saying that you would do that , But some of the meatballs out there you gotta wonder ) Hey nice chatting with ya all, but I'm trying to work on my ductwork so c ya later.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Vagitarian

For pvc, ductile iron and CMP, we use a gas powered cut off saw. For storm drain pipe, we use a chainsaw. For a cut piece of SDR, I use a handfile to bevel it. Up to 6" I can twist it and pull it in by hand. For 8" I use a bar.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: excavating
Rewards Points: 75

Here's a good Idea,,You say that when your laying pipe the guys spend half the day walking back and forth to the truck,,,,ok,,now that the job is done and the tools you used for that job are laying all round...pick up those tools,,put them in a toobox and you have your tool kit,,,,,,good idea huh??
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 220

we use our stihl chop saw to bevel all our pipes, works good!. on our lube pail, (typically plastic), we take a razor knife, make a 1" long slit in center of the lid, slide a 2" paint brush handle through the slit, that way we're not getting all greased up with our hands when we're lubing joints, and keeps the dirt out of our lube pail, and off the paint brush. works for us! we don't keep many tools in our pickups. we pull a 20' cargo van where we keep all our fittings,pipe, tools, etc. we use the old style carpenters wood tool boxes. for services, it will have our pipe wrenches, flaring tools, joint compound, glue/cleaner, vise grips, pliers, etc. one for mainline work, that doesn't take too much. lube pail and the laser target. tools pertinent to that phase of the operation in each box. by the way, what brand sewer lasers you guys running? always ran laser alignment, just bought a new topcon, have yet to use it, looks like a good unit. how do you guys handle your air in sewer lines? we used to have problems with hot sun warmed pipe, going into cold ground, being covered with cold bedding material rock, and having the beam refract on us. typically making the laser want to run on the flat side. now we just take a furnace fan set at it's slowest speed, mounted to a piece of treated plywood, set it over the manhole and let it go. don't have to dink around with the hoses that come with laser, or the chance of the hose bumping your laser unit.

Last edited by dayexco; 04-09-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Vagitarian

We do the same thing with the paint brush through the slit in the lid for the lube. We use a AGL pipe laser. That is a good idea with the fan. We've run into problems with the dot moving back and forth from the cold air.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
Pro

Joe, Rino, Day, jojo and Robert,

Thanks for the ideas. Every exchange of info helps and stimulates thought.

Day, I wish there was enough pipe work around here to have a pipe laser.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick
Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Pro

I bought an AGL back when I was doing some road work, but then sold it when I scaled back. Like Nick says ( dam this is getting old ) for the little bit of pipe work we do that requires the accuracy of an instrument I'll use the transit on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 AM   #15
New Guy

Trade: excavation/landscaping
Rewards Points: 10

i keep one of those battery operated dremel tools and a couple different bits, youre not going to chamfer pipe all day with it but it beats running back to the truck for the cutoff saw to do just one .... all our guys laughed at it at first ..... now they all want to borrow it it comes in handy for alot of odd ball tasks .... installing inlet pipes on pump tanks just little things that we'd normally end up running back to the truck for a generator ... ext cord and what not for a two minute task
Old 04-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #16
Pro

Old 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #17
Pro

A few to many diesel fumes today Joe?

Nick
Old 04-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #18
Pro

Never to much!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #19
Pro

Nick,
How are you making out with this box? Any more thought to it?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #20
Pro

I have a lot of notes that I am going to put together. I want to lay it all out on the shop floor and see how it goes together. I like the idea of Day's about the tool carrier. I am still thinking about how to cut the pipe. I have never used cordless tools for anything and I might put something cordless in the box.

Nick

Advertisement