Pile Driver - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Pile Driver

Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Trade: Excavation

Pile Driver

Was wondering if anyone on here has experience driving sheet piling? I have some. We have a mkt driver on our excavator it works ok butwas wondering what else is out there. The side grip ones look handy and was wondering what one costs? Any help would be appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,023

Re: Pile Driver

Hiring a Temp worker that has teaching skills to get you and your crew up to speed, spend a few k$ to save a really high tuition bill?

Call the local dealers for training videos etc... classes, seminars?

Watch a pro for a day or two....

Utub videos, many in seconds of Gooogling......

Advertisement

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-05-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 194

I've driven quite a bit for lakeshore sea walls. We just used an allied vibe plate on a 210 hyundai. Worked great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Pro

You learn quick and the hard way the first panel installed has to be perfectly plumb.

Don't ask me how I know this. Your joints have only about an 1/8" play per panel. Once you use that up and you have leaners, you're problem gets progessively worse.

If it takes a half a day to drive, pull, redrive that first one to make sure it's plumb, it's worth the time.

I've probably installed 20 or so walls on the lake I live on, not counting other area lakes. We're on our boat probably 3 nights a week and see them all.

Some of the crooked train wrecks that some people have paid for is a shame. I always thought my wall was a part of their landscaping plan, and should look as such.

We bought our panels from hammer and steel. Very helpful, great people to work with.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
You learn quick and the hard way the first panel installed has to be perfectly plumb.

Don't ask me how I know this. Your joints have only about an 1/8" play per panel. Once you use that up and you have leaners, you're problem gets progessively worse.

If it takes a half a day to drive, pull, redrive that first one to make sure it's plumb, it's worth the time.

I've probably installed 20 or so walls on the lake I live on, not counting other area lakes. We're on our boat probably 3 nights a week and see them all.

Some of the crooked train wrecks that some people have paid for is a shame. I always thought my wall was a part of their landscaping plan, and should look as such.

We bought our panels from hammer and steel. Very helpful, great people to work with.
This is good advice above.

We never owned one, always rented. Have used an excavator mounted vibratory as well as one suspended from a crane. Both worked fine, but I probably prefer the crane suspended rig.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
This is good advice above.

We never owned one, always rented. Have used an excavator mounted vibratory as well as one suspended from a crane. Both worked fine, but I probably prefer the crane suspended rig.
longest panels we've ever worked with were 16 footers and that was the max with my sized hoe i wanted to handle.

i can see longer ones where a crane would be slick, but on our lake, unless on some type of barge, would be impossible to get cranes in place.

we had to wait until docks and lifts were out of the lake, and get on the beaches and track down to our destination so we didn't tear up their yards. some homes, there wasn't enough room to track excavator between homes.

depending on winter, sometimes we could work year around. had a couple years we got so much snow it wasn't worth trying to fight our way down to the site.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

We do allot of 10 footers but also allot of 20 footers all with an excavator mounted driver. What other drivers have you fellas used and why do you prefer a crane suspended driver?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet31266 View Post
We do allot of 10 footers but also allot of 20 footers all with an excavator mounted driver. What other drivers have you fellas used and why do you prefer a crane suspended driver?
Never used a crane, do I can't address that.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 486

We were always doing deep excavations, not lake work.
Wasn't unusual to drive 30' or 40' sheets. I think the crane is easier to get things plumb because things naturally want to hang plumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
dayexco (02-06-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Pro

here's a few pics of walls we've installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Pile driver-crawford2.jpg   Pile driver-austin8.jpg   Pile driver-crawford4.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Pro

couple more
Attached Thumbnails
Pile driver-austin9.jpg   Pile driver-austin4.jpg   Pile driver-austin1.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

Very nice work