Options For Upgrading The Wall Of An Existing Foundation ( No Structure ) - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Options For Upgrading The Wall Of An Existing Foundation ( No Structure )

Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4

Options For Upgrading The Wall Of An Existing Foundation ( No Structure )

Looking at a propoerty that has the existing foundation of a burned down house. The existing foundation is partially below grade and built with cinderblock ( poorly I might add ). In contemplation of purchasing the property, I'm trying to figure my options for rebuilding within the existing footprint.

Should I remove the existing cinderblock foundation, and pour a new foundation on the existing footings?

Is it an option to pour a new foundation wall within the current wall?

Ideally I would like to prevent as much moisture coming from the uphill end of the foundation, perhaps by adding a waterproofing embrace or a French drain, would this effect my approach?

Are there any other options that I have not considered?

https://imgur.com/a/eXbGerv

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 576

Re: Options For Upgrading The Wall Of An Existing Foundation ( No Structure )

Why are you restricting yourself to the existing footprint?

The looks of what you have left there, I would not expect a suitable footing for a modern house. Tear it out and put in a solid foundation.

You don't want to have headaches down the road.

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
AJobDunWell (11-06-2018), greg24k (01-02-2019), Morning Wood (10-30-2018), TheConstruct (10-29-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,689

The "new" House must meet TODAY'S codes. What public servant would let you build anything that was to shelter people use that old manure?

1: What about insulation behind existing CMUs ????
2: What about damproofing and tile for a DRY usable basement.
3: ? Vapour Barriers under floor and footings????
4. In wall wiring and plumbing....

5 Out of level.....

6. Un grouted?? can the old style CMUs take Grout to the footing level?
7. decade(s) of frost damage to the "basement" destroying its structural integrity...

You might be able to "save" the sanitary sewer connection, if there was one.... tiny chance the old water stop is in working order, saving a couple of thousands in Sewer and Water hook ups.

The old basement is just an speed bump IMHO.

The footings are almost guaranteed to be frost broken, thus just nasty rubble.

Two skilled men with one large rented mini-hoe or skidder could demo and load that rubble in a long day, a demo saw to cut any long rebars if present..haul clean rubble to a concrete crusher

If You can't afford to build a new basement, and demo this c=rraapp, You need to save/borrow MORE $

Are you a "real" GC?

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 10-30-2018 at 04:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-02-2019), tgeb (10-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post
Why are you restricting yourself to the existing footprint?

The looks of what you have left there, I would not expect a suitable footing for a modern house. Tear it out and put in a solid foundation.

You don't want to have headaches down the road.
There could be a zoning restriction in place. Lot might be nonconforming but they let you rebuild existing footprint.
I have seen this to an extreme in the town next to me. Run down house and they let them tear it all down except....they hade to leave the front street wall as it was. Roof and everything else was gone. Just a one story wall about 18' wide.
Fouthgeneration (11-06-2018), greg24k (01-02-2019), hdavis (11-05-2018), rrk (01-01-2019), tgeb (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeb View Post

I agree

That foundation is junk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,504

For purchase figures, plan on tearing it all out..
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
greg24k (01-02-2019)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
Labor

Trade: General Res, Carpentry, Painting, Tile
Rewards Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
There could be a zoning restriction in place. Lot might be nonconforming but they let you rebuild existing footprint.
I have seen this to an extreme in the town next to me. Run down house and they let them tear it all down except....they hade to leave the front street wall as it was. Roof and everything else was gone. Just a one story wall about 18' wide.
The code thing might be an issue I know where I am a demo permit on a granddaddy property zoning gives u a clean slate to rebuild any footprint so long as you don't try to develop any part of the lot. Have to meet current codes when you rebuild (wetland is a big one here, road access as well), but who doesn't do that already.
One county over they let you get away with not permitting if you leave on wall standing, even if you tear that wall down once the rest of them are up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJobDunWell For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (11-06-2018), hdavis (11-06-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #8

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4

It is a non conforming lot, and I must build with the existing footprint. That being said my plan would be to demo the retaining wall, pout a new footing, then pout the walls using ICFs, water proof membrane, french drain, the works. As absurd as it may sound I would jut like to try and salvage any portions of the old slab as I can. It appears to be a 6" slab with no vapor barrier below. it's a walkout basement ... so i suppose I should demo everything and start from scratch ( minus a little bit of excavation )
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,504

You're going to be building a tight house, do not leave slab with no vapor barrier in the basement. Demo it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 182

It will cost you more to do the project with your hands tied. Not to mention the quality of the end product.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Hartmann For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-01-2019), tgeb (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,820

You should take this question to the zoning department and make sure the new structure be in compliance with all local zoning.
Keep in mind that most likely the structure was built before any of the zoning ordinances and restrictions were adopted, and in many jurisdictions when it comes to fire damage and when you plan to make a certain % of structure repair, being this a demo, etc can nullify grandfather status.

I was dealing with a customer a few years back whos 2 family house partially burned down 50% of it so the logical thing was to do is take the house down to a foundation and rebuilt... But due to the zoning restriction that was placed 10 or so years ago if he was taking the house down to a foundation he could only rebuild a single family home.
To remain as a 2 family house he had to take all the burned part of the structure out and connect to existing none damaged part.

So you better go to the zoning department and find out for sure before you do anything.

Good luck

Advertisement

dereckd2 (01-14-2019), TimNJ (01-02-2019)