Lube Truck? - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Lube Truck?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Lube Truck?

How much equipment do you have to own to make purchasing a lube truck a good idea? I see several of these running around in my area, with the name of different excavating firms on the side. Others are just plain. I suppose smaller operators must hire these guys to do their equipment.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Lube Truck?

I've never run the numbers or worked for a company that operated a dedicated fuel/lube truck. I suspect it'll have as much to do with the mobility of the workforce and how geographically spread out your eqipment and supervision is as it does with the number of pieces running daily.
At the largest firm I worked for we ran about 20 total pieces daily on 4 or 5 jobsites across a couple of counties. Daily fuel and lube was provided out of our foremens' trucks with regular servicing being performed by a mechanic towing a service trailer. It was manageable only because every site had an assigned foreman daily, and that foreman was required to pick-u fuel daily. IMO, that company was on the cusp of needing a lube truck.
I've never seen a company running more than 25 or 30 pieces daily that didn't have a lube truck.

Advertisement

Last edited by PipeGuy; 01-13-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy
I've never seen a company running more than 25 or 30 pieces daily that didn't have a lube truck.

Totally agree with ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Lube truck?

Never mind, I had a completely different image in my mind when I opened this thread. I was imagining a new business by Larry Flynt of something.

Carry on.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
Lube truck?

Never mind, I had a completely different image in my mind when I opened this thread. I was imagining a new business by Larry Flynt of something.

Carry on.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Bob

Trade: Truck driver / Equipment operator
Rewards Points: 75

About 10 years ago I set up a service truck for my own use, but there was only one thing wrong with my thinking. I SHOULDA had one ten years before that. I didnt realize just how handy it would be to have one, it was set up like a mini lube truck with 150 gal of fuel and a good selection of other products and some parts. It sure saved a bunch running around the countryside going home to pick up stuff.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

We are a small company with 12 pieces of equipment. We have a service truck with all of our tools, laser, transit, fittings, shovels, and a fuel tank. We also have a compartment with some anti-freeze, motor oil, transmission oil, hydraulic oil and grease. For us, it wouldn't be worth it to pay the insurances and payments for just a lube truck. We do all of our own maintenance and repairs.

Advertisement

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH