Getting Tired Of Bidding - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Getting Tired Of Bidding

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: the tough jobs
Rewards Points: 25

Getting Tired Of Bidding

Got a set of prints from someone with no computer, 15 helical piers, grade beams, keystone wall's and some fill. Got all my numbers together,turned in my bid. Well before I turned my bid in found a page full of problems on the print. turned that in also. Get a phone call break down your bid, so I did that. Got the phone call what ia what is wrong with the print. Son takes over the job another trip to the site, go over the print. Got the phone call have to break my bid down more, well the way the job is designed it will not work due to the fact there is a 6' fill were the stairs go down to walk into the finished porch. He still what's the bid broke down to the print. No one has shot grades besides me. I have 3 trips to the site, 35 hours into the bid, now I think my numbers are being shopped around, found this out from a supplier. I have not given him the last break down he asked for. I don't to lose the job. The job will take me 2 days to due, in the field. Should I give him the last break down or weight till the prints are done right ? Digger

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Getting Tired Of Bidding

Sounds like its time to start charging for your time. Design-Build.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 190

ever hear of the expression..."getting banged like a screen door in a hurricane"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

If the guy is bid shopping I would give him the finger, but in todays economy its hard to let a job slip by. If this is a hard bid i'd wait til i recieved an adenda and then proceed. You've put alot of work into this. I would have a sit down with him and straighten it out quickly and civilly.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: the tough jobs
Rewards Points: 25

To top it off I am bidding on another job/ Taco Bell, the engineer put a 12 concrete pipe 16" od in a manhole that has a rim to invert that is 1.5 feet and he won't return phone calls. The good thing I got a brand new getico board today for free ! Digger

Last edited by pce; 02-16-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 190

gee, i coulda had a V8!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Let's see:

1. Bid a elevator addition (rate job). I bid through 4 of 7 gc's, none of which
got the job.
2. Bid a 3 acre shopping center. I was lowest bidder, but owner realized that
it is gonna cost too much to construct since it requires a 35,000 yd
import. Now he is trying to sell the property.
3. Bid some demo work of concrete steps and digging for a new ramp at a bank. GC didn't get the job.
4. Bid demo of a commercial building that was attached to an existing building. While looking at the job, the roofer working on the existing building was asking us how we were gonna cut down the beams that attached the 2 buildings. Needless to say, this roofer has a 580E backhoe and used the owners telescoping forklift to do it. Lesson learned there.
5. Bid the sitework for a new Sonic. Came in at #2 bidder.
6. Bid a police station (rate job). Bid through 3 gc's, needless to say, there were 11 gc's bidding.

Now I am working on the sitework for a new Holiday Inn Express. Bidding though 2 of 4 gc's.....so far. We'll see how that goes. Needless to say..........this crap is getting old.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH

Last edited by rino1494; 02-17-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pce View Post
The job will take me 2 days to due, in the field. Should I give him the last break down or weight till the prints are done right ? Digger
Something is wrong here. You are spending this much time on a 2 day job. What will you come out with profit on the job, couple hundred bucks ?? Doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are that desperate.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

I haven't seen a "plan" since last May. The phone hasn't rung to look at new work since Sept.

Hmmmmmm???

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
Something is wrong here. You are spending this much time on a 2 day job. What will you come out with profit on the job, couple hundred bucks ?? Doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are that desperate.
Helical piers being a structural job, seems to me this is more of a specialty job rather than a little job.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 182

Rino-
Why is it that you're not bidding to the other GC's? If I put together numbers, I send it to any one that would be bidding Prime.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 660

Quote:
Posted by Denick
I haven't seen a "plan" since last May. The phone hasn't rung to look at new work since Sept.

Hmmmmmm???
I hear that. Bid a subdivision in December. Clown must have been price shopping because he didn't return calls or emails about my proposal.
Have a perc test to dig tomorrow. First job since Dec. 23rd. besides what little plowing we've done.

Not to optimistic about this year.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavis21835 View Post
Helical piers being a structural job, seems to me this is more of a specialty job rather than a little job.
His post said that it will take 2 days to do in the field. If it takes you more time to bid the job then to do the actual work, it is not worth dealing with.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoe1 View Post
Rino-
Why is it that you're not bidding to the other GC's? If I put together numbers, I send it to any one that would be bidding Prime.
You are asking to get burned. You need to know who you are submitting bids to. There are many GC's going out of business and sticking their subs. One local GC just went out a few months ago and got some subs for around $250,000 total. One GC bidding on this hotel job is out of state and rumor is, he burns his subs on final payment. Claims that owner didn't pay, so he settles with the subs for half.

I would rather lose the job because of not bidding to a particular sub, than taking the chance of getting burned on thousands of dollars. Stick with the guys you know.

Jason

Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 250

It is insane how much free work contractors have to do in the hopes of getting paid.

Here's a typical lead for us:

We drive out and consult with the client, bringing them brochures for products we can install and referring them to various manufacturers.
We head back to the office and research any specialty items we'd have to order or subs we'd have to line up.
We combine all of that information along with our own labor and general material estimates.
We contact the client with the estimate.
Client might change a few things.
We update our estimate.

Then, IF and only if we can close the sale do we get paid.

When a friend asked how I could justify expecting to make at least $50 an hour when working in the field, I explained that because for every hour in the field, I'm spending at least one in the office.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuildersII For This Useful Post:
cexcavation (02-17-2010), Multi-Tasker (02-19-2010)
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 386

Hey Rino, I just looked a set of plans for a Holiday Inn Express. I wonder if it is the same GC or same job.

Is the HI going up in Up State New York?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 10

It is tight all around. Where is the money? I think I am going to head to Haiti for some rebuild work I heard the US Is sending 5000000000000 Kagillion dollars. Head for the Beach...
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #18
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
Hey Rino, I just looked a set of plans for a Holiday Inn Express. I wonder if it is the same GC or same job.

Is the HI going up in Up State New York?
No, it is in Dickson City, Pa........near Scranton. I can't remember the GC from NY that is bidding.

Who is the owner of the building ??

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoe1 View Post
Rino-
And if a sub did that to me, he needs to hope the other GC will keep him busy, because he won't ever get any work from me again.

It is another matter if a sub is contacted by a competing GC, and asked for a bid.....but to seek out the GC's is a sure way to ruin your relationships.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,294

I have not landed a commercial job in a year. I used to get nearly every building and project in my area...no longer. While this is not an excavation topic, it fits to this point: Reasonable bids are not the norm now, starvation bids are, and virtually everyone is taking advantage of it. This happens every so often, and for the survivors, this is like a continuing education course.....save for the bad times, and diversify.

I have several new homes under construction currently, and hope for more in the ICF arena.....I have no steel erections right now, and won't at $2 a sq/ft....the going "rate" .

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page