Foundation/septic - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Foundation/septic

Old 01-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #1

Trade: excavating/water treatment
Rewards Points: 10

Foundation/septic

what are some of the average prices some of you guys out their are getting to dig a foundation and septic tank with trenches for septic and electric?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Foundation/septic

Mud,
This is such a hard question to answer, prices from people could be all over the chart. All our jobs require site engineered plans, a septic system can vary so much 6K to 100k. Foundation holes.......how big, how deep, what are the soil conditions, ledge, boulders??????????????? The list goes on. If you are not sure just try to estimate the amount of time you figure it will take you and multiply it by your rates and add for overhead and profit. Let's see what the other guys come up with. Good Luck!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 634

jmic, 100k for a septic system? i know i'm a hayseed from south dakota, but good gawd, is there such a thing? what factors make it that expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
jmic, 100k for a septic system?...what factors make it that expensive?
Someone with enough money has really "got to go".
Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyMike View Post
what are some of the average prices some of you guys out their are getting to dig a foundation and septic tank with trenches for septic and electric?
3, 17, 31 and 50. But those are just averages.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Pro

Hiya Day,
Septic Fill (select sandy fill) some places we've paid up to 36.00/cu.yd. , now sometimes around here the leaching site can be up on a hill side where you have to bucket the fill to the location. Berm fill to surround the perimeter of the septic fill. Tanks, pump chambers,concrete gallies,living filters,.
For the most part they top off at around in the 30 - 40K althought I've had one in the 80's range and know of compeditors and friends in the bussiness that have gone over the 100k mark. Just trying to say around here there really is no avg. system. These lots are just getting worse every year, bldg. on the bogus lots that have been ignored all these years, another words " scraping the bottom of the barrel".
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Like Joe said, too many variables to give a good answer.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Pro

Slightly OFF TOPIC but I can't believe what these crap lots are going for............250K and up scary.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Mud,

If you have a particular job that has specific's you can present these guy's can help you by comparing it to the work they do. Examples...
.. Are these developed lots? Are they cleared already? Are they flat? Hilly? A lot of rocks? All clean fill? Are they wet? They are ????big? 1/2 acre, 2 acre? The soil is??? and so on.

As Joe said septics are what ever it takes. The one we just did it was $15,000 for the sand thats at cost! Will you be doing engineered systems? Do they require sand brought in.

The guys who post here are pretty smart guys but they aren't mind readers. And one thing we have found out is that the differences in each guys geographical area makes it a disservice to quote prices to some one who might use it to make a living tomorrow.

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein
Old 01-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by denick View Post
Mud,

If you have a particular job that has specific's you can present these guy's can help you by comparing it to the work they do. Examples...
.. Are these developed lots? Are they cleared already? Are they flat? Hilly? A lot of rocks? All clean fill? Are they wet? They are ????big? 1/2 acre, 2 acre? The soil is??? and so on.

As Joe said septics are what ever it takes. The one we just did it was $15,000 for the sand thats at cost! Will you be doing engineered systems? Do they require sand brought in.

The guys who post here are pretty smart guys but they aren't mind readers. And one thing we have found out is that the differences in each guys geographical area makes it a disservice to quote prices to some one who might use it to make a living tomorrow.
Very well put Nick!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Pro

jmic, this is where veriables come in and why it scares me when i see posts here asking what systems should cost. sounds like you have a lot more to contend with than we do. you know what they say about south dakota..."nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles"....where i'm at, it's relatively flat and no rocks to speak of to contend with. what i'd consider a mountain, you'd consider a knob. we do very few septic systems, but i know that for the average home out here, a new system will very seldom hit $10k.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
jmic, this is where veriables come in and why it scares me when i see posts here asking what systems should cost. sounds like you have a lot more to contend with than we do. you know what they say about south dakota..."nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles"....where i'm at, it's relatively flat and no rocks to speak of to contend with. what i'd consider a mountain, you'd consider a knob. we do very few septic systems, but i know that for the average home out here, a new system will very seldom hit $10k.

You would commit suicide if you saw the material that we have to work with. Surface rock runs 3-4 feet thick thanks to the glaciers many many years ago. I have to get some pics up.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Pro

the average 1800 sq foot house in the city where the water/sewer lines are stubbed behind the curbline....strip topsoil from lot, excavate basement and garage footings, run the 40-50' of water sewer service, backfill, rough grade "furnish no aggregate, drain tile" ....will run under $9k here
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #14

Hi Guys,

I have a question on septic installation costs for a site in CT that has ledge buy is pretty clear for the tank/pump chamber and the galleys:

2 bedroom house:
1000 gal septic tank
375 sq ft galleys (4'x8'x12")

6 bedroom house:
2000 gal tank
1000 gal pump chanber
3 hp gould pump 230 volt 1 cycle
400 ft 2" PVC
860 sq ft galleys (4'x8'x12")
Septic fill (screened) for around the galleys
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
Pro

These 2 seperate jobs or on the same property ? What's the plan calling for quanity of septic fill? What part of Conn. are you at ?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 AM   #16

Here in WV on average 3 bedroom house septic will run you about $5 to $10 thousand. Well I mean it should except for the fact that you have guys running around throwing them in for $3k. Maybe thats why its slow for me.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #17

Trade: Excavation

avg price for septic 'round on a level lot with room to work is $2500. That is what everyone charges.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton82 View Post
avg price for septic 'round on a level lot with room to work is $2500. That is what everyone charges.
Sutton, Where you located for them prices ? I haven't done a septic system for that price in at least 20 years.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton82 View Post

I wouldn't even run the sewer pipe and let it dump ontop of the ground for that little amount of money.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmic View Post
These 2 seperate jobs or on the same property ? What's the plan calling for quanity of septic fill? What part of Conn. are you at ?
These two systems are adjacent on the same property. Its a tricky site.

Advertisement