Footers - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Footers

Old 06-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Trade: Excavating

Footers

Alright guys I’m new on here I farm and run my own excavation business and recently started doing a lot more footers for a housing company I always dabbled in footers but never poured them these are are in ditch pours. I was wondering if anyone has found a pad or plate or something to attach to your grade rod so why I’m running stick I could also be pushing and moving crete. I thought about a second rod and drilling piece of plywood to end but I’d really like something alittle bit better and that would last. Thanx for any help

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 1,490

Re: Footers

Ernest Hemmingway did the whole run-on sentence thing very well. You, not so much.

You "grade" concrete while pouring it?

No forms?

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 768

Canoe paddle
The Following User Says Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (07-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pole Barns, Residential Framing
Rewards Points: 338

So if I read correctly, (if in fact you are using a laser transit), what you want to do is screw your reader onto the handle of your comealong, that way you can move concrete and check your grade all in one fell swoop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,820

You can attach what is called "a good old fashion workforce" not only you help the economy moving by providing jobs, you will Make America Great Again!
Attached Thumbnails
Footers-pour.jpg  
Fouthgeneration (07-01-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #6

Lol couple my friends was right when they said people in this forum will be more mouthy then helpful. Alright well thank you for all help. 😂 You guys come from way different back ground then where I am from but if it gets you far I’m glad “America” has became this way. Come work on farm for day see if your work force last. Also I try to hire help no one wants to work I’m not paying guy to stand round. Yes we do in ditch footers no forms just grade stakes and chase it with a transit
Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 690

Stick some nails in the side of bank at the level you want concrete poured to, or drive some rebar stakes with tops at top of footing level. Having the visual reference make sit much easier.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
Goin' Down in Flames....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianafarmer View Post
Lol couple my friends was right when they said people in this forum will be more mouthy then helpful. Alright well thank you for all help. 😂 You guys come from way different back ground then where I am from but if it gets you far Iím glad ďAmericaĒ has became this way. Come work on farm for day see if your work force last. Also I try to hire help no one wants to work Iím not paying guy to stand round. Yes we do in ditch footers no forms just grade stakes and chase it with a transit
Well, I happen to own a ranch and live on it, along with being a State Licensed General Contractor. So I have more than a passing knowledge of both activities.

What you're doing with your footings is not a standard or best practice method anywhere I have ever worked, nor anywhere that I am familiar with, except perhaps on your farm. I can only advise you how to do things properly and professionally, but I'm not interested in assisting in Jed Klampet construction techniques.

I can, however, educate you on proper practices.

If you hang around, you might learn a trick or two, maybe even something you can use. You might not even change the way you do things, but hopefully you can understand why most of the professionals here don't really have an answer for non-standard practices.

Welcome to the Forum.
Fouthgeneration (07-01-2018), tgeb (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

Well maybe it’s different in your state, but in Indiana I have worked for 3 guys on side and was a union operator for 3 years. In every slab home I have done this is way house builder instructs you to do them. So maybe it is different in your place of work but when the GC tells you to do them that way that is way you do them. I do drive rebar stakes to establish a visual grade I was more just wanting a way to flatten and check grade at same time to help my 2 follow guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indianafarmer For This Useful Post:
Jay hole (06-26-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,434

Slab footings always had foam board on inside, snap grade line on that. Never used anything other than a come a long to get them close. Cut key way, drop in bar, put string lines back up and set wood stakes.

Crawl space spread footers just got grade pins and flattened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpenter/joiner
Rewards Points: 372

All our footings are poured "in ground" only formwork is on steps, for heights we put a tie wire around the starter at finished height and pour to that. Typically use 10mm pump mix that will more or less self level and a wipe with the float finishes it off.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
Goin' Down in Flames....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianafarmer View Post
Well maybe itís different in your state, but in Indiana I have worked for 3 guys on side and was a union operator for 3 years. In every slab home I have done this is way house builder instructs you to do them. So maybe it is different in your place of work but when the GC tells you to do them that way that is way you do them. I do drive rebar stakes to establish a visual grade I was more just wanting a way to flatten and check grade at same time to help my 2 follow guys.
Well, I learn something new everyday.

I can't say I would ever want to do it like that.

If you're pouring a slab on top, why does it have to be within an 1/8"? But if you're forming a wall on top..... I wouldn't want to do that. I'd start with formed footings.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 7,687

The way GCs want stuff, not = to doing it "right" or many times to code(s)

GCs business model is less of everything for MORE $.... leads to Subs asked to perform shady acts or questionable omissions. IMHO

Guess what? some times GCs know less them You....Almost always they have fewer Morals than any one else in the room......

Morals = ethics, shared standards of behavior that forward civilization over barbarian behavior based on might makes right, and the strong & informed feed on the weak, ignorant, and misguided.

Jay Hole: it is like being color blind or tone deaf, Sociopaths never know what they lack, while most evil persons KNOW they act so IMHO.

In a lifeboat situation, I'd eat the salesmen first, then any General Contractors, saving the architects for last. Any lawyers, would be used to bait sharks....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 07-01-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
The way GCs want stuff, not = to doing it "right" or many times to code(s)

Guess what? some times GCs know less them You....Almost always they have fewer Morals than any one else in the room......

Morals????????

Advertisement