Fat Clay 5' Beam, Help Settle Debate!!! - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Fat Clay 5' Beam, Help Settle Debate!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Txdiamond

Trade: General Contractor, Certified Road & Bridge, Civil
Rewards Points: 10

Fat Clay 5' Beam, Help Settle Debate!!!

My Partner & I are bidding a large flood control project. 8' wide concrete bottom with 4'10" side walls 2 to 1 slope paving above. Issue is a 5' deep toe beam is to be under each wall (not typical in our area). The site is 17 feet above sea level in live channel. Toe beam & wall 8" thick. Control of live channel we understand and experianced in all other aspects. Problem for ya'll where I need help, toe beam excavation, shore or not - will fat moist clay walls hold long enought to drop double mat steel & pour OR Shore (what method- plate-speed shore-box). Production will get job. Now you see our debate. Borings show water @ 13' so pumping, wells etc enter the picture. Consider risk, attempt to be low bidder and not go broke. My first thread so if I need to do someting other let me know!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

Re: Fat Clay 5' Beam, Help Settle Debate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdiamond View Post
My Partner & I are bidding a large flood control project. 8' wide concrete bottom with 4'10" side walls 2 to 1 slope paving above. Issue is a 5' deep toe beam is to be under each wall (not typical in our area). The site is 17 feet above sea level in live channel. Toe beam & wall 8" thick. Control of live channel we understand and experianced in all other aspects. Problem for ya'll where I need help, toe beam excavation, shore or not - will fat moist clay walls hold long enought to drop double mat steel & pour OR Shore (what method- plate-speed shore-box). Production will get job. Now you see our debate. Borings show water @ 13' so pumping, wells etc enter the picture. Consider risk, attempt to be low bidder and not go broke. My first thread so if I need to do someting other let me know!
Sheet pile and leave it in.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Txdiamond

I may can bid at risk to get the engineer to alter design after, have done this before. Sheet pile material cost has gotten so $$$ last 2 months, You must be a driver! There are a couple of drop structures on this project. Think now if you had to bid as engineer design, now what do you think?? Besides NO BID!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdiamond View Post
I may can bid at risk to get the engineer to alter design after, have done this before. Sheet pile material cost has gotten so $$$ last 2 months, You must be a driver! There are a couple of drop structures on this project. Think now if you had to bid as engineer design, now what do you think?? Besides NO BID!!!
Nope not a driver, just seems like the best way to accomplish the task.
Does it have to be poured in place or can you use precast beams?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Txdiamond

Details show beams to be poured monolithic to 8' wide bottom. Joint allowed from floor to wall. Believe can get joint o.k. on beam with extra rebar tie etc. Yes must be poured, no precast of beam- they are concerned about rotation failure + upheaval. total 1500 L.F (3,000 lf of beam for both sides), What is your opinion within our debate criteria. Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 386

If you have people in the hole, and you are in water, you have a class c ditch according to osha no mater what. That being said, clay in this area can stand like you want, or it can fall apart. Got to know your soils in the area. What are you going to dig with, as this will affect how you would shore it if needed. My personal choice would be a few trench boxes if you have a big enough machine. A lot easier to place, work in, and move than any other system I have worked with.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Txdiamond

If we trench or dig, no one will be in hole.Steel reinforcementcan be hung and aligned from top. Any clean out or sluff can be reached with a mini excavator. Main dig run if excavated fit undersized bucket to Hitachi 160 and if trenched Vermeer with side mount to get spoils away from top of hole. I have trench boxes, plates etc. Black fat clay with high moisture creates interesting conversation, every bid is so low and tight, I don't book losers. I believe I'll bid right but tight today.... and probably come in next to last! Texas market is if your willing to pay 5 to 10% to build the job you might get low.

Advertisement