Estimating And Proposal Templates. Critique My Proposal. - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Estimating And Proposal Templates. Critique My Proposal.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Trade: General Engineering
Rewards Points: 2

Estimating And Proposal Templates. Critique My Proposal.

I just started my construction company. I am a licensed "A General Engineering Contractor" in California.

I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations for proposal and estimating templates for our trade. I have used excel in the past as an estimator and project manager. Is there a good place to purchase excel templates? Is there any thing better or new? What do you think of my proposal?

Attached is a pdf proposal I had put together for a reservoir project. Feel free to give me some criticism.

I am trying to set up a good system for my paperwork and estimating.

As of now, I have no employees and no equipment. I am currently working T&M as a water well drill rig operator (3 to 4 months of work) and I have 2 week demolition project coming up and I will be subcontracting with another contractor to do that project.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reservoir Proposal.pdf (60.9 KB, 128 views)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 844

Re: Estimating And Proposal Templates. Critique My Proposal.

Kind of appears you have as many or more exclusions and items not included than you do items in scope of work. I'd detail out that scope of work much more thoroughly so the exclusions look incidental. Speaking for myself, for a $700,000 job, it would not be unusual for a proposal to be 3-6 pages or more. You should have some payment terms in there somewhere also.

Good luck !

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
griz (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,172

agree with fishindude on way too many exclusions, likely due to you not having the capability to perform them.

on your listing of items you are doing, doing them in relation to what?

should reference plans/pages/details/specs.

i expected a sub to do everything required to complete his section.

some of your exclusions may fly if they are a part of a larger scope of work but should be noted that way.

there is also no time line, construction or payment schedule.

as a gc i would not deal with you on this project without your ability to self perform.

i would end up dealing with a sub of a sub, which ain't gonna happen.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

Trade: General Contractor/Excavation
Rewards Points: 38

I agree with what Griz and Finishdude have said.

On a project this size, I would not be putting out a lump sum with less than half a page of details. As others have said, there's no payment schedule, timelines. That wouldn't fly around here.

A lot of your exclusions are what is normal scope of work for excavation contractors around my way. I wouldn't want to have to rely on a someone else controlling basic things like utility locates, erosion and environmental protections, import of soil, or safety fencing. To me those are all things that would screw up my timeline, and thus, I'd want to be in control of them. Charge accordingly.

To me, excavation is all about risk, and performance management. There's insufficient details in the whole scope of work to make me comfortable hiring you. It's perfectly fine to have exclusions, but when there are more of them than the actual scope of work, that indicates to me, you're not equipped, or experienced enough to hand the job.

That's what it appears like on paper - don't take it as a personal attack.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: division twelve
Rewards Points: 1,172

Eric, I'm not in your trade area but if you have a relationship with a local GC or CM ask them if you can stop in to talk. They may be willing to show you a competitors' proposal without the pricing.

Props for throwing your proposal out here for everyone to critique. It appears that the above comments all have merit.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

Totally agree with others... Scope of work would be fine for $7k job, not for a $700k job.

Advertisement

Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations