Digging Holes - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Digging Holes

Old 07-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 8

Digging Holes

Howdy,

I need to dig 9' holes for light pole bases. The deepest I've ever gone was 4'. I would use an auger with an extension but whoever did demo to the building that this lot stands on did not completely demo the building underground. There's a lot of bricks and concrete mixed in the dirt. I feel like the auger wont work.

Has anyone excavated a larger hole, inserted the sonotube then back filled while compacting?

Thanks,

Woj

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Digging Holes

Yes. All the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,946

Cali pointed out that some seismic zones may not allow it - other than that, tamping and filling is done all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 19,964

Even in seismic zones that's allowed as long as it's compacted properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-26-2016)
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

Trade: excavation
Rewards Points: 6

I have a very similar question, but mine is in ultra rock thick soil on the side of a mountain in Colorado. I need 20, 7' foot holes filled with sonotubes. I am afraid that I will break the auger bit on the skid steer at that length in this terreain. what kind of rock blasting equipment exists to take some of the strain off the bit? is there such a thing? I am starting to think I just need to tamp and backfill the entire area. thanks.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatholedigger View Post
I have a very similar question, but mine is in ultra rock thick soil on the side of a mountain in Colorado. I need 20, 7' foot holes filled with sonotubes. I am afraid that I will break the auger bit on the skid steer at that length in this terreain. what kind of rock blasting equipment exists to take some of the strain off the bit? is there such a thing? I am starting to think I just need to tamp and backfill the entire area. thanks.

Dexpan?

Mike.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAbrothers View Post
Howdy,

I need to dig 9' holes for light pole bases. The deepest I've ever gone was 4'. I would use an auger with an extension but whoever did demo to the building that this lot stands on did not completely demo the building underground. There's a lot of bricks and concrete mixed in the dirt. I feel like the auger wont work.

Has anyone excavated a larger hole, inserted the sonotube then back filled while compacting?

Thanks,

Woj
You should check with the Engineer that spec'd the 9' holes how they would like to proceed. To over excavate and insert a form & backfill/compact is called sleeving. Sonotube may not be an acceptable material due to the likelihood of it being damaged. I've done it several times with well casing.

Good Luck....

Quote:
If you are trying to dig say 2' dia holes in a very rocky terrain you will soon find yourself with a hole 6-7 feet in diameter. You are correct about breaking an auger. You would be doing a lot of drilling into rock and using a lot of dexpan or ecobust. Same as above check with the engineer that spec'd the holes
Calidecks (08-05-2019), Fouthgeneration (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,820

Quote:
Micro piles an option?

Call Straightline,

https://www.straightlinepier.com/pro...w/solana-solar

Never heard of these things until I got to Colorado. The builders super explain them to me, seeing them go in is interesting.

Tom
Old 08-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Micro piles an option?

Call Straightline,

https://www.straightlinepier.com/pro...w/solana-solar

Never heard of these things until I got to Colorado. The builders super explain them to me, seeing them go in is interesting.

Tom

Nice!

Mike.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,583

Why not get rock driller to drill the holes

Hammer drill core drill rig?

rotary diamond oil field style bit?

Hill side fill and only 7' deep is enough?

Call a rock miner.....

BOOM-BOOM?

Rotary pneumatic/Hydraulic rock drills and rock cracking chemicals?

Buy the POCO pole installer lunch/beers and ask a Pro how they do it in the same area...... Why reinvent the wheel, steal it like a ChiCOM.

Erect the poles, back-fill 7' plus with self compacting fill...

Will the poles last inside a steel pipe poured into 3- 4 yard lump of concrete 7' tall about in side a 3-4' wide tube form (old 500/1000 gasoline tank) don't forget the Ufer ground wires/rods.

There are 110 year old power poles and towers in California land, it can't be Too tough.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 08-07-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Maybe you could get an engineer to sign off on tying directly to the rock. It's probably been there for a gazillion years.

Mike.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (08-07-2019), Rio (08-07-2019)