Demo - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Demo

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 41

Demo

I have another project coming up which consists of demoing a small old barn(40by 80')within the city. Wooden structure with metal on sides and roof. Floor is wooden as well. Foundation doesn't appear to be much. What is the best way to determine how many loads it will take to haul away( I currently use a 16' with 4' sides dump trailer). Also the inside of structure is completely open including trusses which look to be on 4' centers. Thanks again

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,300

Re: Demo

The best way is experience at having done it before. If you haven't, then walk through and measure stuff up. Convert to cubic yards and add a percentage. Depends how it is packed. No way you are loading it with a machine into a dump trailer. Dumpster would be better then it can be packed with an ex.
Metal can be recycled.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
Gld700 (08-12-2012), griz (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Rewards Points: 504

I think you'll be amazed how many trips you'll do with that little trailer.

Consider renting the 30-40 yard bins for the wood and rubbish, and smaller for the crete foundations. It's more money up front but a real labour saver in the end.

Any salvage in the barn? Old posts/beams or otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

There are a few posts and beams but not much. I will try to get some Picts shortly. How many loads would you think it would take?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 890

small old wood barn, old lead paint?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gld700 View Post
... What is the best way to determine how many loads it will take to haul away
"Morning Wood" is dead on with his observation. There are many, many, reasons a 20 yard can will leave the job with less than 20 yards in it and only experience can tell you what you'll get in a can (or trailer) given the material you expect to handle.

As a means of cross-checking volume estimates I deveoped a spreadsheet that would give me a pretty fair idea of a structure's weight based on roofing material, roof structure, floor structure and coverings, wall structure, interior and exterior finish, foundation/footing design, and miscellaneous items like doors, equipment and casework. It seemed to estimate disposal weights within 10 or 20% on at least a couple large (multi-family / institutional) demo jobs and I just liked being able to look at a problem from a couple different angles; both volume and weight that is. The more tools you have in your box the better - experience being the best.
Gld700 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

You should be bidding by tonage. Landfills charge by the ton, not the yard. I have formulas that I use, to figure up tonage. What machine will you be demoing and loading with ??

I agree, that you little dump trailer is out of the question. I ran an excavator, demoing an old school house for guy. Got me a little side work. The building was about the same size as you described and was 2 story. I loaded his tri-axles and he told me that he figured he can do it in 6 loads. I said, good luck. 20 loads later.....

I use a landfill that has 100 yd walking floor trailers. They come in, I load them up and they stand on top directing me. I lightly press in the debris to compact and make room. I get on avg. 18 ton in those 100 yd trailers. Usually you get more on the last trailer since you are cleaning up and you may get dirt and concrete mixed in.

If you do not have access to these type of trailers, then look into a company that has 40yd roll offs. If you are using a smaller machine, then get smaller dumpsters because 40yd dumpsters are high.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
Gld700 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

I will be using a 160 jd exc with hydraulic thumb. The old barn is just one story, completely empty on inside( no Sheetrock or interior covering of any kind ) , metal roof and sides on exterior. Does have a wooden floor on a small 2 block foundation
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #9

No paint. Was going to recycle the metal and haul the rest to our property 7 miles away to burn
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gld700 View Post
No paint. Was going to recycle the metal and haul the rest to our property 7 miles away to burn
Just don't get caught.

Advertisement

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH