Concrete Labor (Austin,TX) - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Concrete Labor (Austin,TX)

Old 02-06-2020, 02:07 PM  

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14

Concrete Labor (Austin,TX)

I just started a GC in the Central Texas area (Hays county) and I'm wondering if some other GC's could chime in. I come from a commercial GC background and I've found good, reasonably priced labor for nearly all trades but concrete. The project I'm building is a 720 sq ft 5" slab on grade foundation with 2 #4's running top and bottom in the grade beam (12" wide x 18" deep) and #4 mat 12" OC EW. The 4" Driveway/sidewalk is 700 sq ft and will be reinforced with #4's 12" OC EW. My calculated costs for conc+rebar+poly+small equpiment rental = ~$5,700.
I expect the conc guy I'm talking to provide the equipment he owns/forms and labor. My partner knows this gentleman and got us in contact but I'm the money guy and my partner said he talked to the conc guy and the number I threw out $2,850 was too low. I'm waiting to have the conversation with the gentleman.
So am I asking too low? I calculated 3 workers for 3 days at $150 a day and 1 foreman for 3 days at $500 a day. I know the guys at my old job didn't make $150 a day nor did the foreman touch anywhere near $500 a day.
The first concrete guy I talked to wanted just shy of 13k to supply all material and labor, this was abosultely ludacris and not even a consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CentralTxGC; 02-06-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 03:56 PM  
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,240

Re: Concrete Labor (Austin,TX)

How are you a GC and not able to understand that what a worker makes is not what a worker costs? $150 a day?!!!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
How are you a GC and not able to understand that what a worker makes is not what a worker costs? $150 a day?!!!
Golden, It's all relative dependent on the trade. My electrical labor by a licensed electrician was almost 1/3 the price of the concrete labor. This guy has to get certified, know how to read plans, know code requirements. I can control the concrete work via foundation design, mix design and gallons added. I rely on the electrician to make sound connections as I can't be there to inspect every wire nut. So there's a lot more value added to this trade unless the conc guys are doing next level finishes.
The subs also didn't have to do any legwork to get the job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 06:02 PM  
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 698

Wait...

You calculated $5700 and then threw out a number of $2850? Maybe I just worked too hard/long today and my reading skills broke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (02-09-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:09 PM  
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Wait...

You calculated $5700 and then threw out a number of $2850? Maybe I just worked too hard/long today and my reading skills broke.

I think that was labor for the job, the $5700 material/equipment

Last edited by Golden view; 02-06-2020 at 06:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:56 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Wait...

That’s my material/equipment cost, but I see what you did there haha
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 AM  
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,406

The best part of being self employed is being able to turn down work from guys who think they know what you should make.

I usually supply everything and I typically pay $1.50 to 2.00 a sq ft for flat work, plus up charge for footings. I don't tell my guys what they can make. Unless concrete is really high in your area, then why do you have $8 a sq ft in your cost with no labor already?

By the way, if my guys set it up, lay the steel, and my concrete guy only shows up to pour and finish, I get flat work down for .50 to a buck. 6,000 sq ft at .50 cents makes the guy $3,000 and he is paying 3 laborers....he is happy, I am happy, and he has insurance too. I doubt he would do it for less.

Get the picture?

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page

Last edited by Joasis; 02-07-2020 at 05:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:43 PM  
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralTxGC View Post
The first concrete guy I talked to wanted just shy of 13k to supply all material and labor, this was abosultely ludacris and not even a consideration.

Thanks in advance.
The successful GC thing isn't a plug n play operation based on the pencil pushing numbers. The numbers are based on what available subs will charge you and knowledge of going rates in your area. Yup 13K is high for subcontract work, but I bet they get those rates all day long selling to home owners. So you'd be the one who has ludicrous expectations in his eyes.

Hit the pavement and start calling to you find a sub who'll do it for your budget. Last slab I had poured outside of Dallas at a fair price would put your project about 9k. Anything less than that, might see what I mean by not plug n play, money man.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:03 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
The successful GC thing isn't a plug n play operation based on the pencil pushing numbers. The numbers are based on what available subs will charge you and knowledge of going rates in your area. Yup 13K is high for subcontract work, but I bet they get those rates all day long selling to home owners. So you'd be the one who has ludicrous expectations in his eyes.

Hit the pavement and start calling to you find a sub who'll do it for your budget. Last slab I had poured outside of Dallas at a fair price would put your project about 9k. Anything less than that, might see what I mean by not plug n play, money man.
Thanks, got someone lined out.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:57 PM  
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 624

And, sometimes you get what you pay for.

That job is so small, I probably would just decline. Especially if you are going to beat up your subs over a couple of bucks.

Have you ever heard of mobilization?

Good Luck. You're going to need it.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 AM  
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction
Rewards Points: 624

Plus, you probably expect the sub to wait on his money.

Guys like you are what gives GC's a bad name. And go and post it on a public forum. Unbelievable. Obviously a rookie.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: