Cat Or Deere - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Cat Or Deere

Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 6,486

Cat Or Deere

What equipment manufacturer do you prefer and why?

Just general heavy equipment.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cat Or Deere

Cole, My preference for a rubber tire back hoe is J.D, just a great reliable machine. For excavator's ( track machines ) I've had Mitsubishi's, Komatsu's,
and presently have 2 Kobelco's which are zero clearance so with the tight lot's we work on in Greenwich, Stamford, ect. gives us a little more movement around the site and can be close to buildings, tree's ect. Dozer's I like Cat., good starting in cold weather, good power, they've done their homework. But I think the name is overated ( pricey) I know they hold thier value better but when it comes to the track hoe's I think dollar for dollar the Jap machines are great. Oh yea, I have a Gehl skid steer that I couldn't live without.
Joe

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: excavating
Rewards Points: 75

like anything I buy,,,I give great consideration to the equipment that has a dealer or at least a parts dealer close to home....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
...I give great consideration to the equipment that has a dealer or at least a parts dealer close to home....
That's my #1 consideration - service and parts availability. The rest of the purchase process is an exercise in determining value by weighing factors such as purchase price, anticipated resale price, financing options, and performance specifications.

Cole, to address your question specifically, I prefer CAT crawler excavators and loaders, and their large dozers, over DEERE's. I wouldn't own anything but a CAT crawler loader. I prefer Deere's wheeled products and small dozers over CAT's. I think both CAT and DEERE make good mini-excators.

Last edited by PipeGuy; 01-11-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Ehhh......never owned a JD and never will. In todays market, bascially every company is very competitive. Like stated above, what it really comes down to is parts and service. When something breaks, you can't afford downtime and you need to know that you can count on your dealer to get you the parts ASAP.

We deal with Clevland Brothers here in PA and they have the best parts department out of anybody. They have most parts in stock and if not, they will have it for you the very next day. We own several older Cat machines (955k, 977L) that work almost daily. As far as dozers are concerned, we are pretty big on Case dozers. We have a old case 450 from the 60's that has prolly around 30,000 hrs on it and it gets used daily for finish grading.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Bob

Trade: Truck driver / Equipment operator
Rewards Points: 75
Cool

I have to agree with Joe on a number of points. Overall though it doesnt really matter how good the machine is, at some point it will break down and will require parts and if your dealer system sucks then you will have downtime. Around here both Deere and Cat have good support systems, Case is iffy at best and the offshore brands are catching up to the big dogs with leaps and bounds. Here Hitachi track hoes are just as popular as Deere and Cat. In a lot of cases it boils down to how much bang for a buck, and the offshore brands are delivering.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Changing the world....One tree hugger at a time.....
Rewards Points: 250

Simple...if it has tracks, it's gotta be a CAT no question. Tires...a Deere, no questions! I only know in depth, tractor backhoes, but I've run enough excavators and dozers to know that CAT will LAST LONGER than the competition. Backhoes, Deere's last longer hands down. I mean, they all break down at certain points in time. Though Deeres may be a bit tricky to work on at times, their power plants keep goin and goin! I am certain about one other thing....DO NOT EVER RENT,BUY,LEASE,.....A JCB!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: backhoe operator/Trencher Operator
Rewards Points: 10

I prefer CAT because i had some bad times with the deere Dealer in the area he was just a backwoods idiot that should never own a dealership or even work at a sewage plant for that matter.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: demolition
Rewards Points: 150

The power of the Deere machines is just awesome for doing demolition.

Love that crashing and crunching in a JD loader.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
The power of the Deere machines is just awesome for doing demolition.

Love that crashing and crunching in a JD loader.

Hey Wolf,
You ought to find something that you really like doing, just doesn't seem like you have your heart in demolition.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmic
Cole, My preference for a rubber tire back hoe is J.D, just a great reliable machine. For excavator's ( track machines ) I've had Mitsubishi's, Komatsu's
Joe
Rock on with the Komatsu, I like Hitachi track hoes. And I like case with j.d control for a backhoe
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy
That's my #1 consideration - service and parts availability. The rest of the purchase process is an exercise in determining value by weighing factors such as purchase price, anticipated resale price, financing options, and performance specifications.

Cole, to address your question specifically, I prefer CAT crawler excavators and loaders, and their large dozers, over DEERE's. I wouldn't own anything but a CAT crawler loader. I prefer Deere's wheeled products and small dozers over CAT's. I think both CAT and DEERE make good mini-excators.
you like the 650's?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

I run cat and will only run cat! My dealer takes great care of me so i have no interest in any other machine!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 220

the pencil i'm pushing says i can't afford cat
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Pro

Wether you drive a Mercedes or a VW, at the end of the ride they both cover the same ground.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #16

Trade: Utility Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

We try to keep our fleet (approx. 18 pieces) relatively low hour as we don't run a repair shop. That means we look to trade-in around 6500 hours for excavators and loaders, and around 5000 hours for rubber-tired backhoes. With those parameters, we've used alot of different brands. Most equipment manufacturers these days produce a reliable machine in these hour ranges.

I will say that I've lately been mildly disappointed with the CAT product. It doesn't seem to hold up as well as their older products. I use to love their 225s and 235s, but feel like our 325s and 330s just aren't holding up as well. I would say our repair costs are actually highest on our CAT machines. That being said, their support and resale are great.

So I would say at this time that I lean toward Komatsu and Volvo for excavators and loaders, and CASE for rubber-tired backhoes.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #17
Pro

Gm,
Have you had any Kobelco excavators in your fleet and if so whats your take on them? What do you run for skid steers?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #18

Trade: Utility Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I haven't ever owned a Kobelco b/c of issues with the Kobelco dealer here in town. But I have run their machines before and I was impressed. I thought they were extremely "quick" and seemed to have alot of power. It's a shame I don't like the dealer b/c I like the machine. On a side note, Kobelco is now building New Holland's excavators and that may be something to look into in the future.

I don't own any skidsteers b/c we rarely use them. If we need them we rent. I do like the way the CAT skidsteers run, but I don't know anything about the day-to-day ownership of one or its longevity.

Advertisement