Case 580 Packings - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Case 580 Packings

Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

Trade: excavation
Rewards Points: 10

Case 580 Packings

I have a Case 580sk and need a packing done on my clam bucket. I've tried to do it myself and did a number on my back. My efforts were a failure and need to find somebody I can send my ram to and have it packed. I've asked all the mechanics around my town and they all say they send them off so I figure I can send it off myself and not pay them to do it for me.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,966

Re: Case 580 Packings

Start here:

http://www.casece.com/wps/portal/cas...andsite_geo=NA

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Must be someone around your area who specializes in hydrolics. Ask around some other companies of where they get there rams repaired. Do you have any guys who come around to jobsites who do equipment repair, welding, fabricating that may have some experience in this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

If you asked "mechanics" and told you they send them off, they are either, not a mechanic or yanking your chain. It is a 20 minute job.

Do you have a gladhand tool ?

You can probably find a mechanic that works for the dealer to do it on the side or a mechanic that works for a site contractor that can do it on the weekend. Ask around.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH

Last edited by rino1494; 12-08-2011 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
backhoe1 (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

I agree with Rhino, i have taken rams apart with no issue. The last one was bent and i pulled the piston with the ram still on the machine "mini-ex". I just put the main boom down, pulled the pins, stood the ram up and strapped it to the boom, unthreaded the collar "packing nut" and used the machines hydrolics to push the piston out. The guy who owned the machine picked the piston up out when it came to the top. I made sure the valves were centered and we never lost any oil when the machine shut off. We pulled the nut off the back and slid the packing nut off the rear. The piston was bent about 6" from the eye so we had to have the packing nut off so it could be pressed straight. Seemed easy to me. The owner went ahead and rebuilt the packing nut and re-installed everything. Piston is now straight and no leaks.