Burning - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Burning

Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
New Guy

Rewards Points: 10

Burning

This is in the general excavating category,

After sight clearing what is the best method for burning the large debris. Trees, trunks, etc..

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Burning

In my area that would be illegal.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

In my area it is pretty common and most of the trees are junk. You may want to evaluate what you have, a 20 ft. section of black walnut can go $5K+. That's an expensive fire. Pecan, Hickory and even Oaks aren't worth burning in most places.

Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: underground

Around here, burn pits are a thing of the past. Permits became next to impossible to get and liability became to expensive to insure.

Everything around here is logged, ground, shredded, chipped, etc. and hauled off.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division

No burning here either. Tree cutter cuts trees, hauls out the good wood, chips the smaller stuff, covering all the stumps that he flush cuts, then we find them, pull them and then load them out in 30 yd. dumpsters and send them away!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
Pro

Jeremy, Let me tell ya how I use to do it in my younger day. Cut up all the firewood. Stack all the brush in the middle of the lot on about 8-10 old tires and whatever else you had to get rid of Then pour 5 - 10 gallons of fuel over it ( fuel was cheap back then ) throw a match and RUN LIKE HELL Nice to keep warm in the winter, hotter than Hadies in the summer. I'm sure this is still done , but not around here anymore. Stumps I've buried before, not a good thing to do, to many potential problems to come back and haunt you.
Joe
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Carpe Diem

Trade: Remodeling/ General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmic
Stumps I've buried before, not a good thing to do, to many potential problems to come back and haunt you.
Joe
We had a guy do this to us. 8 yrs and 800 sink holes later.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Pro

Nor,
It's nasty specialy if there's a high water table when they start to decompose after being in the ground for a while then they start to leach out what you would think was sewage. It really is a
Joe
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

I know this is a old thread, but I find it interesting. In my area, burning is pretty much done with. You can get permits to burn in some townships. If we are doing a development, we'll put the brush and stumps in haul trucks and take them somewhere in the back to burn. I'll stack the brush first and throw some tires with diesel soaked rags and light them up. I'll keep piling brush on to get it nice and hot. After a little bit, i'll start throwing the stumps on. With stumps, you gotta keep rolling them around and knocking the dirt off. When doing house work on small lots, we'll chip the brush and haul out the stumps to our shale pit and burn them in the winter. If i get a stump that is too big to put in the truck, then i'll bury it somewhere on the lot that hopefully will never be disturbed in the future. It would be hell if 10 years down the road, the homeowner decides to put in a in-ground pool and they find a stump burial ground......lol. As far as the logs go, we give them to our buddy who has a sawmill and in return, he gives us side boards and planks for the trailors.

Last edited by rino1494; 01-31-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

I've seen farmers burn there fields after they took the corn out of it around where i live. I don't understand the purpose of that though. So its definately legal in the rural areas around where i live. The whole field was on fire. Like i said this was after picking and rite before he was ready to plow for a replant. Meaning the other farmers were plowing there fields getting ready to plant for growing season when i see this. The guy did plant in that field. I still don't get the purpose of that.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,468

In NJ you can't burn if you are clearing land. But, you can burn if you are a farmer and you are clearing out hedgerows and you get the permits.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Landscape/Hardscape Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I live in the wonderfull and beautiful state of West Virginia ad I say let er BURN..........DONT NEED NO STINKIN PERMIT.............BURN BABY BURN

Advertisement