Bidding My First Bigger Job In Kansas City Missouri Area - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Bidding My First Bigger Job In Kansas City Missouri Area

Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Trade: excavation
Rewards Points: 8

Bidding My First Bigger Job In Kansas City Missouri Area

Hey fellas, I'm new to the site. Im a small excavating/ bobcat business. 2 guy operation. I've mainly been doing smaller jobs such as above ground pool site prep, yard grading, trench digging etc.... I got my first foundation we're working right now and just had a call for 1200 sq ft house demo and haul off. I'm just kind of curious, how would you guys bid something like that?

I understand there are factors to include such as fuel, disposal of the house etc.... Just kind of wondering is there maybe a industry standard sort of pricing on things like this? Sorry guys I hope I don't get flamed to hard, like I said I'm pretty new in this field as far as pricing goes but not new at operation of equipment lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,623

Re: Bidding My First Bigger Job In Kansas City Missouri Area

Industry standard seems to be under bid all jobs, drive the price down and eventually go out of business. So I would stay away from that.
So sit down and figure out as close as you can what it will take, add your O&P and go for it. Hopefully you have enough $$$ in the bank to absorb any losses you might encounter.... other than that you canít grow if you donít step out of your comfort zone.

Good luck!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,106

Estimating tons of debris could be difficult, if you haven't done this before. One option would be to contract with a end-dump outfit. They might be able to give you an idea of how much product is there, and also, at least in my area, sometimes haul by volume, not weight, which is easier to estimate. Ish.

Remember to charge for your machine. It costs more than fuel to run that thing. Charging at rental rates, or some percentage of it, plus an operator, is one way to go.

Remember taxes, licenses, insurance. Who is doing the utility disconnects? Any encroachment permits needed for blocking off streets, dumpsters, etc?

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (10-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,870

make sure the structure is clear of asbestos & lead.

most residential demo i've seen involves a excavator rolling over and munching up the structure pretty good then just load it in to dump trucks and make it go away.

seven delta has some good points...

you need a demo permit in your area?
Caleb1989 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Trade: excavation
Rewards Points: 8

Awesome points guys.

Yes permits are needed.

Utilities are already disconnected.

I've got a lot of figuring to do this evening. You guys brought up a lot of good points. I always usually ad in 50% of rental rates in my area for whatever machine I bring out, and add in a bit for fuel and insurance plus price to do job. Im always worried I'm to low though. But there have been several I haven't got, and several I have. So I'm guessing I'm probably somewhere in the middle of what guys are charging around me.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstreetracer View Post

. So I'm guessing I'm probably somewhere in the middle of what guys are charging around me.

Do you know what their costs are in comparison to yours? Do you know what their profit desires compared to yours?

Get your costs figured out, don't be that guy who under bids everyone, every time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 808

House Demo and haul away prices around here are 50% or more less than we did them for 15 or so years ago.

I don't know how they make any money, but they are getting the jobs...

www.gebcon.com
Old 10-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #8
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,564

Never bid a job by what the other guy could be bidding them for. I never consider what my competition is charging.

Mike.

Advertisement