Basement Excavations For New Home Construction - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Basement Excavations For New Home Construction

Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 131

Basement Excavations For New Home Construction

How do you do your basement or foundation excavations? Im interested in hearing from people who DONT own an excavator or crawler loader.

The basements i will be digging will be roughly 8-9' deep on flat building lots. In loose, sandy soil, i would do this with my CAT 247B Multi-Terrain Loader. It would take a 2-3 days to do it, but i own the machine and after figuring cost of fuel and a couple hundred dollars toward future maintanence of the machine, i would still have about $800 or so to pay myself or my operator and have a nice sum left over for profit.

Since the lots are not on loose sandy soil, I need to either hire someone to dig it or rent a machine and do it. After machine rental, fuel and labor cost, i would only profit a few hundred dollars. As somebody just starting out, this could be a big addition to making the job profitable. On the other hand, hiring it done would be quicker and more efficient, and I wouldn't have to worry about something happening to the rental equipment and potentially being liable for the repair costs.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 420

Re: Basement Excavations For New Home Construction

I have excavated basements with skid steer loader and backhoe. If that is what you have and time is not an issue, go for it.

Why are you digging 8-9' deep, will these have 10' walls?

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
greg24k (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,478

For the same money you can get someone to dig if got you using excavator and be done in a few hours... not to mention with an excavator you can be at the right footing debth and keep the rest of the basement elevation higher, it will save you time to bring fill back in to bring the height for the stone under the slab.

Like Tom said, why are you going so deep...even with a 10' wall, did you accounted for the windows...?

On the general note, your basement should be staked out by a surveyor and it should have your finished basement or first floor elevation and you should calculate your depth based on that number and be high enough not to end up with window wells.

Last edited by greg24k; 12-05-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 532

i'm 3 hrs north of you, sounds mighty cheap to me
Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Rewards Points: 504

Owning a loader doesn't make you an excavator....

Hire it out and be on the ground to set grades, supervise, run your loader to stockpile topsoil, load trucks. Lots of work to do besides sitting in the seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sar-Con For This Useful Post:
skcolo (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
i'm 3 hrs north of you, sounds mighty cheap to me
I pay about 1,000-1,200 to dig a basement approximately 3,000 SF house 5- 6' deep and about the same to backfill... My guy starts at 7-8 and with layout he usually done by 2-3pm. Of course removing dirt, etc is extra, for that about 50-75 pet load depends how far the dirt is going, and sometimes I find someone who needs dirt so I will break even on that.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Precision 10

Trade: Excavation, site work, demolition and, trenching
Rewards Points: 81

2-3 days to dig a basement is a long time and your using the most expensive machine to up keep to do it. I guess if you have nothing to do go for it. This would be my very last option though. You would be better off renting an excavator and getting it done in a day . You can then spend the other 1-2 days being more productive.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 182

Seems kind of silly to dig it with a skid loader, you'll have to have a backhoe or excavator there to dig water and sewer right? It takes us 1 day to dig water/sewer and basement. If I'm only doing the utilities, chances are you're still paying for the rest of the day anyway.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: excavating contractor
Rewards Points: 182

To answer your question, in the town where I grew up there were no excavators. The local gravel guys dug most all basements with a wheel loader. They just started back aways and dug a ramp down and backed out. It can be done.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,154

One of our excavation crews use two big ass track driven skid steers and a mini excavator. They will have the cleanest, neatest hole you have ever seen. They dig a normal simple basement in a half day or so. It's cool to see it done that way...different...but it works for them. It's costs us somewhere around $1800-$2500 depending on the size of the hole. They are actually cheaper than our other excavation crew that uses a track hoe.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Pro

Thanks for the replys!

my basements will have 9' walls with window wells. The excavation depth will certainly vary in accordance with the finish floor height, which is typically built about 2.5'-3' higher than the Street Curb elevation. The sewer lateral could make the finish floor higher as well.

The question i posted here isnt project specific, but looking for advice prior to putting my cost estimates together. My 1900sf house, 3 car garage and rear frost wall(walk out basement) was going to cost me $1500 for excavation. I ended up doing it with a skid loader in about 1/2 a day, but it was into a hill and all sand. The houses i will be doing will only be 1100-1300sf. I havent talked to any excavation companies, but most are hungry for work right now and can probably get pretty competetive prices, maybe under $1000.

I was a surveyor for 10 years so i will be doing all of my own staking and grade chasing.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Holder of hands

Trade: Custom builder/remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Basement excavation should be left to excavators. You need good hard virgin soil to set the footings on, assuming they are footings. If you over-excavate, then you are filling an area and putting footings on top of it. Leave stuff like that to pros who do it everyday.

And with all due respect, if you can dig a 1900 sf basement and garage with a skid in half a day, even a walkout, you should be giving advice instead of asking questions.

As for the depth of the hole to the other posters, we put in 10' walls here all the time. Minimum of 9' on any custom. If you are in an existing neighborhood with small lots and needing piers, it gets even deeper, depending on a structural floor.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by black95gt View Post
Thanks for the replys!

my basements will have 9' walls with window wells. The excavation depth will certainly vary in accordance with the finish floor height, which is typically built about 2.5'-3' higher than the Street Curb elevation. The sewer lateral could make the finish floor higher as well.

The question i posted here isnt project specific, but looking for advice prior to putting my cost estimates together. My 1900sf house, 3 car garage and rear frost wall(walk out basement) was going to cost me $1500 for excavation. I ended up doing it with a skid loader in about 1/2 a day, but it was into a hill and all sand. The houses i will be doing will only be 1100-1300sf. I havent talked to any excavation companies, but most are hungry for work right now and can probably get pretty competetive prices, maybe under $1000.

I was a surveyor for 10 years so i will be doing all of my own staking and grade chasing.

were that hole approx 8' deep, 2' overdig...that's approx 700 cubic yards. you get the done for $1500? man, that's what? $2.15-$2.35 a yard? up here, they're running anywhere from $3.50-$4.00. they doing them by the hour there? day in, day out a 200 size hoe by the time you figure mobe in and out, set up, trim passes...you're going to average about 60-70 yds an hr....that's giving him about $115-$130 an hr....which isn't too bad....but still, quite a bit cheaper than what we get here per cubic yard. i won't dig a hole by the hour for just that reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Joasis (12-16-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
were that hole approx 8' deep, 2' overdig...that's approx 700 cubic yards. you get the done for $1500? man, that's what? $2.15-$2.35 a yard? up here, they're running anywhere from $3.50-$4.00. they doing them by the hour there? day in, day out a 200 size hoe by the time you figure mobe in and out, set up, trim passes...you're going to average about 60-70 yds an hr....that's giving him about $115-$130 an hr....which isn't too bad....but still, quite a bit cheaper than what we get here per cubic yard. i won't dig a hole by the hour for just that reason.
I wasnt given a per yard or hourly price, just a job price. $1k-1.5k seems to be about the going rate for digging a basement in my area. Any more than that i find that to be pretty expensive for digging a hole in less than a day. At $4/yd here, your machines wouldnt get many hours put on them and you'd probably be pretty hungry.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcolo View Post
Basement excavation should be left to excavators. You need good hard virgin soil to set the footings on, assuming they are footings. If you over-excavate, then you are filling an area and putting footings on top of it. Leave stuff like that to pros who do it everyday.

And with all due respect, if you can dig a 1900 sf basement and garage with a skid in half a day, even a walkout, you should be giving advice instead of asking questions.

As for the depth of the hole to the other posters, we put in 10' walls here all the time. Minimum of 9' on any custom. If you are in an existing neighborhood with small lots and needing piers, it gets even deeper, depending on a structural floor.
In all fairness, the garage footings were only excavated down 2-3' and the basement excavated from 1' in the back to about 6' in the front, then 60' of frost wall. It was all sand and was basically cut into the slope and pull it back out. After the walls were placed and the structure built, I had about 3 days worth of back filling around the house to build up a yard. Since this was my house, i did that during my off time
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
terrafirma relocator

Trade: excavating
Rewards Points: 150

We still use loaders for large walkout homes, and have dug additions with skidders when you can't get in with a excavator. If ya have time why not
Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by black95gt View Post
$1k-1.5k seems to be about the going rate for digging a basement in my area. Any more than that i find that to be pretty expensive for digging a hole in less than a day.
Pretty expensive? b Really?

If a guy running a small excavating business can hustle enough to bill five days a week every week week of the year at $1500 a day he wouldn't even BILL $400K a year. Call me jaded. I just don't characterize that as "expensive" when it demands 24x7 attention and at least $50K cash on hand at any given time just to be able to sleep well at night. But I guess someone, somewhere's, getting it done for $280K or so (75% of 6 days a week at $1200 / day). More power to'em.
Joasis (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy View Post

If a guy running a small excavating business can hustle enough to bill five days a week every week week of the year at $1500 a day he wouldn't even BILL $400K a year. Call me jaded. I just don't characterize that as "expensive" when it demands 24x7 attention and at least $50K cash on hand at any given time just to be able to sleep well at night. But I guess someone, somewhere's, getting it done for $280K or so (75% of 6 days a week at $1200 / day). More power to'em.
Great way to put it into perspective

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy View Post

I've heard guys say "I'm happy making x per day" no matter what they are doing. I just shake my head. It's like they don't have a clue how to figure a job.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
Pro

Rewards Points: 834

I will give you another perspective. This again goes back to my schedule, my bank account, and that I have the equipment. If I have one house to do, I bring out the 580 and Bobcat, and go after it. If we are busy, then it makes all the economic sense to sub it out. But I will maintain the ability to do it in house if we are slow.....ain't steak, but a hamburger will feed you.

Yeah, I know, what does a GC know? I know what it is like to be at either end, and we don't do enough basements to matter, but I have 2 on the books as of today to do.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page