Old 08-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,145

Backhoe Archeology

Cool story. Enjoy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...eology/535827/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (08-06-2017), Robie (08-06-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-06-2017), Tinstaafl (08-05-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,182

Re: Backhoe Archeology

Thanks. I scan this page nearly every day for archaeology news:
http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm

How did I miss that one?

signing his name with the backhoe was purdy neat:

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 484

Cool story. Interesting that they brought in military trackers.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,348

Quote:
Thanks. I scan this page nearly every day for archaeology news:
http://www.archaeologica.org/NewsPage.htm
I bookmarked that...thanks.

Archaeology fascinates me.

My latest fascination is Hadrian's Wall and all they are finding there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
I bookmarked that...thanks.

Archaeology fascinates me.

My latest fascination is Hadrian's Wall and all they are finding there.
yup. Fascinates me too.

Here's another daily news site:

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/

when I lived in the southwest, we literally stumbled on native artifacts daily. The guy in charge of our geoseismic field crew - his dad was an archaeologist for the University of New Mexico & he knew what each point & pottery shard & meal grinding tool came from.

Me - I'm still trying to grasp the enormity of a place in Turkey called "Gobekli Tepe". It's 12,000 yo, and already they had formal stone structures & permanent communities.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Radical Basement Dweller

Something I found interesting...and telling...

Watched a video the other night about the Neanderthals....

When one of the first skeletons was found of a Neander, it showed what appeared to be a walking specimen, all bent over.

That is where all the depictions in all the books and movies throughout modern times came from...that they were a hunched over and clumsy beasts.

Just fairly recently, they have examined those same bones with modern scientific technology and found....the skeleton found had severe arthritis. Hence, the shape of the skeleton and what we have always believed they looked like.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Pro

Where we camp every year (upper central PA) was once a sea that predated humans, dinosaurs, etc., The shale in the fields has fossils of primitive sea stuff. I forget the details. (trilobites, I think)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Where we camp every year (upper central PA) was once a sea that predated humans, dinosaurs, etc., The shale in the fields has fossils of primitive sea stuff. I forget the details. (trilobites, I think)
Do you have some of them?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Do you have some of them?
My buddy does. Now we don't stop and look in the field anymore (where it's easy). There's a bit of dispute with the farmer, on who's land he has the easement to get to his own land. Drive across only.

I dated a girl who was an archaeologist and had a piece of a wine jug (Greek or Roman, I forget) with a cupid. She had it legally. That was a cool little piece.

Back in the 80's, Philly was excavating a street near Olde City, maybe for a water main or something. Somebody had set aside two dirt-caked pewter pieces, a wine cup and a glass-bottom mug, with a heavy piece of glass on the bottom. It was evening, nobody was around, and they were just sitting there next to the sidewalk, so I figured they set them aside for someone like me.

Last edited by MarkJames; 08-06-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
John the Builder

Quote:
Something I found interesting...and telling...

Watched a video the other night about the Neanderthals....

When one of the first skeletons was found of a Neander, it showed what appeared to be a walking specimen, all bent over.

That is where all the depictions in all the books and movies throughout modern times came from...that they were a hunched over and clumsy beasts.

Just fairly recently, they have examined those same bones with modern scientific technology and found....the skeleton found had severe arthritis. Hence, the shape of the skeleton and what we have always believed they looked like.
I'm fairly sure I watched that same one.

Not as bad as the farce known as "Piltdown Man".
Robie (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Pro

Eventually, they will course-correct the thinking on discoveries and interpret them more correctly. It takes time.

Btw, did you catch the stories about the dinosaur footprints in Western Australia that are right out in the open on the beaches? That is damned cool.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...ern-wa/8391098
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Robie (08-06-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
John the Builder

Quote:
My buddy does. Now we don't stop and look in the field anymore (where it's easy). There's a bit of dispute with the farmer, on who's land he has the easement to get to his own land. Drive across only.

I dated a girl who was an archaeologist and had a piece of a wine jug (Greek or Roman, I forget) with a cupid. She had it legally. That was a cool little piece.

Back in the 80's, Philly was excavating a street near Olde City, maybe for a water main or something. Somebody had set aside two dirt-caked pewter pieces, a wine cup and a glass-bottom mug, with a heavy piece of glass on the bottom. It was evening, nobody was around, and they were just sitting there next to the sidewalk, so I figured they set them aside for someone like me.
That would be cool. Human stuff I mean.

I've never found a danged thing here in Michigan.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
There are a bunch of mollusk fossils around the Dallas area. You just go down to one of the streams after a big rain and pick them up.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
That would be cool. Human stuff I mean.

I've never found a danged thing here in Michigan.
Old houses used to have their own dump - it was right out back.

Old clay pipes had the stem broken off periodically as they clogged - eventually the pipe was thrown out when the stem was short. They last forever in the ground, as do clay marbles, sharpening stones, glass shards and pottery pieces.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
John the Builder

We have a town here named Petoskey. It is famous for Petoskey Stones. Usually get tumble polished, or shaped then tumbled.
Attached Images

hdavis (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Old houses used to have their own dump - it was right out back.

Old clay pipes had the stem broken off periodically as they clogged - eventually the pipe was thrown out when the stem was short. They last forever in the ground, as do clay marbles, sharpening stones, glass shards and pottery pieces.
We had one in our back yard too! Used all the while I grew up in that place. Also, sewer flowed into it. Not a good place to go picking.

I expect by now the current owners have a proper septic field and could find some goodies. But Michigan isn't an "old" state like the colonies - so we probably had cast-iron pipe stems. LOL

Recently though, they have been turning up some pre-revolutionary war artifacts at Fort Michilmiliac - where the upper & lower peninsulas meet.

Advertisement

hdavis (08-06-2017)