Any ROADWORK Guys/gals Around? - Excavation & Site Work - Contractor Talk

Any ROADWORK Guys/gals Around?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Trade: Site Work, Concrete, and Masonry
Rewards Points: 25

Any ROADWORK Guys/gals Around?

Looking to shoot the breeze about MPT and if/how you typically include that in your bids. (Maintenance and Protection of Traffic).

I'm in NY and there's obviously different standards in different parts of the US but would be interested to hear your strategies on working that into your bid(s).

I typically divide the project into stages before my takeoff and complete my takeoff according to those stages. Then after doing my takeoff, figure out productivity and how long each work item is going to take within each stage so I have an idea of the duration of each stage in the project.

After listing the durations of each stage I compare with the MPT requirements of the job (if any), including how many lane closures (if full or partial), how many flagmen are required, if VMS boards are needed, and how much advanced signage is required.

Sometimes I can get away with one flagman but at other times I need 2 or 3 (picture a large intersection; need men on radios to slow or stop traffic at each approach).

I figure basically a laborer's rate for each flagman, generic costs for signage, and the montly fee to rent a VMS. Of course there are drums, cones, and other signage to be moved too.

When all is said and done, the cost of MPT can get so expensive you start wondering how competitive you can be. It should be fairly constant across the board, no?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

Re: Any ROADWORK Guys/gals Around?

Guess this isn't the most exciting of topics that could be discussed here...

Was something that came up recently here on a local road job; one of the last I bid I came in at about $1.8m and my MPT costs were up well over $100K ... around 10% of my actual costs... Didn't win the job; placed 2nd and the low bidder was just over $100K under me... most of our other costs are relatively similar...

Man if there are any secrets to lowering MPT costs on a job I'm all ears.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Most of the guys on this site do not do heavy highway work where you need jersey barriers, traffic detour signs and line painting for lane changing, so that is why you haven't gotten a response.

We have done some road crossing work for utilities and I hire out a flag crew. They charge $25 per man/hr and that includes the signs and cones. It isn't even worth putting your own men on it for that and these guys are certified.

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

The company that I work for will try for a road closure whenever possible to save on labor costs.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Thanks guys...point taken - I (and most guys around here) are putting laborers out there on the flags, moving drums, cones, signage, etc....and we're at just under $600/man day per laborer... whew seems crazy.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500

I used to work for a paving company as an assistant superintendent/estimator. We just subbed all of that stuff out to another company. There is a thick set of ODOT plans and specs on how to set up MOT (Maintenance of Traffic as it's called here). The MOT is a job within itself, along with all of the signage and striping which was also subbed out.

Advertisement