Wage Poll - Pressure Washing - Contractor Talk

Wage Poll

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Trade: Pressure Washing/Window Washing
Rewards Points: 2

Wage Poll

Hello. My husband and I are in our fourth year as business owners. We do graveyard pressure washing for commercial customers. We use a trailer-mounted 8gpm 3200psi setup with surface cleaners.

We have been having difficulty getting applicants and I am questioning if our compensation is comparable to other companies.

If you employ others for pressure washing, would you mind sharing with me what you offer on hiring, and what state you are in?

We are south of Seattle, and we advertise that we are willing to train, and only require physical ability, valid drivers license, clean driving record, ability to maneuver a trailer, and comply with a drug-free policy.

We hire at $14 with early raise to be determined once aptitude has been assessed.

I have felt that this is a decent rate for a no-experience labor position.

Are we not paying enough to ask people to sweat a little and be drug free?

I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 589

Re: Wage Poll

Hi Amber! It sounds like I'm in your neighborhood and I frequently need to employ labor positions. In my experience, the requirements of a clean driving record and that your candidates be drug free (if you include MJ) is going to significantly limit your labor pool. If you only have graveyard shifts, you will also exclude a lot of people. My guess is that your pay is too low - I pay my laborers $15/hour for day shift - and that it might be worth raising the starting pay without any mention of a future raise. I don't give my guys raises unless they are really contributing to the bottom line, not just good at what they do! Best of luck!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Re: Wage Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberB View Post
Are we not paying enough to ask people to sweat a little and be drug free?
Never! Drugs cost money!

We all paid for the Bureau of Labor Statistics booklets on wages for all parts of the US.

It's online or you can get a paper copy. And they are glad to answer their phone for questions 'cause these number crunchers get lonely and wonder if anyone ever reads their reports.

Last edited by GettingBy; 03-27-2015 at 11:13 AM.