Pressure Washing. - Pressure Washing - Contractor Talk

Pressure Washing.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Registered User
 
TheKidd's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure washing
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Pressure Washing.


Trying to start up a pressure washing business. I have a question do I go with a hot water unit or cold water? And additional info from people in the biz would be awesome. Thanks.
TheKidd is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Future Post Deleter...
 
rex's Avatar
 
Trade: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,895
Rewards Points: 1,092

Re: Pressure Washing.


Tepid

Advertisement

rex is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Registered User
 
TheKidd's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure washing
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
Tepid
Sorry little slow here what does that mean?
TheKidd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Pro
 
boman47k's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 4,165
Rewards Points: 2,006

Re: Pressure Washing.


Tepid = luke warm.


Heheh, search the power washing section for "hot or cold". Where it says 'Search this forum", type "hot or cold". I think you will see hot is good to have if you plan on cleaning up grease, gum, etc..

Might also want to do a search on gallons per minute (gpm).

Not to mention run off and any precautions you need to know about in order to be in compliance with any laws concerning run off, debri, etc..

Good luck.
boman47k is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
TheKidd (04-06-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 260
Rewards Points: 192

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
Trying to start up a pressure washing business. I have a question do I go with a hot water unit or cold water? And additional info from people in the biz would be awesome. Thanks.
Do you have a budget?
What do you want to wash today?
What do you want to wash next week?
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing
PowerWash is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered User
 
TheKidd's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure washing
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash

Do you have a budget?
What do you want to wash today?
What do you want to wash next week?
I have a budget around 8k. I would like to start with residential and then add commercial. I'm looking at a northstar rig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page
TheKidd is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 260
Rewards Points: 192

Re: Pressure Washing.


Your in florida, the pressure washing capital of the USA. You should be able to find used equipment so easily. 4 GPM is not going to cut it for commercial. You need to go to 8 and not even mess around with 4 if you want to do commercial. Cleaning concrete takes a lot of flow, and cleaning buildings with high volume low pressure is definitely the way to go. I would guess that you could easily find a used set up on craigslist, papers, or local pressure washing equipment supply house. I would start at your local pressure washing supply houses. And, I would lease a trailer for the first year. Not to trash your idea but that Northstar equipment is not the highest of quality. It may have a Honda motor, cat pump/general pump, but the rest of the parts are usually sub-par for using 5+ hours a day. Some good brands to look out for used would be: Landa, Hydrotek, Hotsy, Pressure-pros, MTM to name a few (in no particular order). If you are serious about commercial, you will need hot water for concrete cleaning. I do not use hot water on any buildings (some people do), but concrete cleans so much easier with hot water.

It would be well worth it to lease the first year so you can actually get your fet wet. And, you do not have to worry about broken down equipment. Once you know what business you are getting you will then know what equipment you need. No need in buying a $10,000 set up if you might decide you want to specialize in roof cleaning (big business in FL).

Good Luck
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing
PowerWash is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PowerWash For This Useful Post:
TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 260
Rewards Points: 192

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
I have a budget around 8k. I would like to start with residential and then add commercial. I'm looking at a northstar rig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page
What area in FL are you in? I will look at craigslist for you and point out some potentials.

I watch craigslist in 300 mile radius for deals. Guys buy a $10,000 pressure washing rig on credit cards, then realize that there is more to running a business than having nice equipment and either have to downgrade equipment or sell out and go back to their previous job.

By August to September you can buy 6 month old equipment for at the least, half off
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing
PowerWash is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PowerWash For This Useful Post:
MALCO.New.York (04-23-2012), TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
Registered User
 
TheKidd's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure washing
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash

What area in FL are you in? I will look at craigslist for you and point out some potentials.

I watch craigslist in 300 mile radius for deals. Guys buy a $10,000 pressure washing rig on credit cards, then realize that there is more to running a business than having nice equipment and either have to downgrade equipment or sell out and go back to their previous job.

By August to September you can buy 6 month old equipment for at the least, half off
Tampa bay area. Really that is awesome! Thank you so much for the help.
TheKidd is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Chris
 
PowerWash's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 260
Rewards Points: 192

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
I have a budget around 8k.
And the best advise I can give you... Take half of the money that you thought you should spend on a machine and put it towards advertising.
__________________
Pressure Washing Charleston SC - Pressure Washing Summerville SC Pressure Washing: Charleston, Summerville, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Daniel Island, SC - Pressure Washing
PowerWash is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PowerWash For This Useful Post:
scraigc (12-09-2012), TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Registered User
 
TheKidd's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure washing
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash

And the best advise I can give you... Take half of the money that you thought you should spend on a machine and put it towards advertising.
Thank you. For your help I'm just trying to learn everything I can before I start investing. And I have the money set aside so I don't have to do any kind of loan because I believe if the business starts in debt it will end it debt.
TheKidd is offline  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Registered User
 
smith_r_d's Avatar
 
Trade: Power washing
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


What experience do you have in this line of work? If none where are you getting your information on how to do this kind of work. Their is a lot more to it then you may think. If you have only a 10k budget then you are a little short. You will also need insurance because if you damage a house the owner will kill you if you can't pay.

Start with used good equipment. You can set up a rig for cheaper if you are smart about it. Won't be as pretty but will work.
smith_r_d is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Pro
 
MIKE ANTONETTI's Avatar
 
Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CITRUS COUNTY
Posts: 1,751
Rewards Points: 3,514

Re: Pressure Washing.


Well six months later where are you and what happened?
If your still in Tampa , try Ameritech on Nebraska avenue, talk to Scott .
I bought an 18 hoarse Honda/cat about 15 years ago used for 1k , still works, I don't use it that often though.
I believe there are trucks that would blow over your startup system in the commercial world and the market is saturated in your area, if you need beer money it could work though!
MIKE ANTONETTI is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
New Guy
 
Craig Harrison's Avatar
 
Trade: concrete restoration and pressure washing
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
Your in florida, the pressure washing capital of the USA. You should be able to find used equipment so easily. 4 GPM is not going to cut it for commercial. You need to go to 8 and not even mess around with 4 if you want to do commercial. Cleaning concrete takes a lot of flow, and cleaning buildings with high volume low pressure is definitely the way to go. I would guess that you could easily find a used set up on craigslist, papers, or local pressure washing equipment supply house. I would start at your local pressure washing supply houses. And, I would lease a trailer for the first year. Not to trash your idea but that Northstar equipment is not the highest of quality. It may have a Honda motor, cat pump/general pump, but the rest of the parts are usually sub-par for using 5+ hours a day. Some good brands to look out for used would be: Landa, Hydrotek, Hotsy, Pressure-pros, MTM to name a few (in no particular order). If you are serious about commercial, you will need hot water for concrete cleaning. I do not use hot water on any buildings (some people do), but concrete cleans so much easier with hot water.

It would be well worth it to lease the first year so you can actually get your fet wet. And, you do not have to worry about broken down equipment. Once you know what business you are getting you will then know what equipment you need. No need in buying a $10,000 set up if you might decide you want to specialize in roof cleaning (big business in FL).

Good Luck
Great advice, spot on!
Craig Harrison is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
New Guy
 
Jeremy P's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Pressure Washing.


hey craig, nice to see a familiar face here

Advertisement

__________________
Tiger Pressure Wash
Baton Rouge, LA
(225) 284-4527
Pressure Washing Baton Rouge
Jeremy P is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contract for pressure washing knothead Pressure Washing 13 08-25-2013 06:37 PM
Window Cleaning as an Add-on when Pressure Washing extraclean Pressure Washing 3 03-09-2012 09:28 AM
SW Florida Pressure Washing Chuck Bergman Charlotte and Sarasota County-Roof Cleaning 5282jt Pressure Washing 0 05-05-2011 08:35 AM
How to Safely Pressure Wash Your Home. PressureWashE Pressure Washing 1 07-02-2010 05:50 AM
Pressure Washing in Indianapolis Indiana EPPSLLC Pressure Washing 16 12-03-2009 08:29 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?