Pressure Washing. - Pressure Washing - Contractor Talk

Pressure Washing.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Trade: Pressure washing
Rewards Points: 10

Pressure Washing.

Trying to start up a pressure washing business. I have a question do I go with a hot water unit or cold water? And additional info from people in the biz would be awesome. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

Re: Pressure Washing.

Tepid

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex
Tepid
Sorry little slow here what does that mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Tepid = luke warm.

Heheh, search the power washing section for "hot or cold". Where it says 'Search this forum", type "hot or cold". I think you will see hot is good to have if you plan on cleaning up grease, gum, etc..

Might also want to do a search on gallons per minute (gpm).

Not to mention run off and any precautions you need to know about in order to be in compliance with any laws concerning run off, debri, etc..

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to boman47k For This Useful Post:
TheKidd (04-06-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
Trying to start up a pressure washing business. I have a question do I go with a hot water unit or cold water? And additional info from people in the biz would be awesome. Thanks.
Do you have a budget?
What do you want to wash today?
What do you want to wash next week?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash

Do you have a budget?
What do you want to wash today?
What do you want to wash next week?
I have a budget around 8k. I would like to start with residential and then add commercial. I'm looking at a northstar rig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Chris

Your in florida, the pressure washing capital of the USA. You should be able to find used equipment so easily. 4 GPM is not going to cut it for commercial. You need to go to 8 and not even mess around with 4 if you want to do commercial. Cleaning concrete takes a lot of flow, and cleaning buildings with high volume low pressure is definitely the way to go. I would guess that you could easily find a used set up on craigslist, papers, or local pressure washing equipment supply house. I would start at your local pressure washing supply houses. And, I would lease a trailer for the first year. Not to trash your idea but that Northstar equipment is not the highest of quality. It may have a Honda motor, cat pump/general pump, but the rest of the parts are usually sub-par for using 5+ hours a day. Some good brands to look out for used would be: Landa, Hydrotek, Hotsy, Pressure-pros, MTM to name a few (in no particular order). If you are serious about commercial, you will need hot water for concrete cleaning. I do not use hot water on any buildings (some people do), but concrete cleans so much easier with hot water.

It would be well worth it to lease the first year so you can actually get your fet wet. And, you do not have to worry about broken down equipment. Once you know what business you are getting you will then know what equipment you need. No need in buying a $10,000 set up if you might decide you want to specialize in roof cleaning (big business in FL).

Good Luck
TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Chris

Quote:
I have a budget around 8k. I would like to start with residential and then add commercial. I'm looking at a northstar rig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page
What area in FL are you in? I will look at craigslist for you and point out some potentials.

I watch craigslist in 300 mile radius for deals. Guys buy a $10,000 pressure washing rig on credit cards, then realize that there is more to running a business than having nice equipment and either have to downgrade equipment or sell out and go back to their previous job.

By August to September you can buy 6 month old equipment for at the least, half off
MALCO.New.York (04-23-2012), TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #9

Quote:

What area in FL are you in? I will look at craigslist for you and point out some potentials.

I watch craigslist in 300 mile radius for deals. Guys buy a $10,000 pressure washing rig on credit cards, then realize that there is more to running a business than having nice equipment and either have to downgrade equipment or sell out and go back to their previous job.

By August to September you can buy 6 month old equipment for at the least, half off
Tampa bay area. Really that is awesome! Thank you so much for the help.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Chris

Quote:
I have a budget around 8k.
And the best advise I can give you... Take half of the money that you thought you should spend on a machine and put it towards advertising.
scraigc (12-09-2012), TheKidd (04-16-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:

And the best advise I can give you... Take half of the money that you thought you should spend on a machine and put it towards advertising.
Thank you. For your help I'm just trying to learn everything I can before I start investing. And I have the money set aside so I don't have to do any kind of loan because I believe if the business starts in debt it will end it debt.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12

Trade: Power washing

What experience do you have in this line of work? If none where are you getting your information on how to do this kind of work. Their is a lot more to it then you may think. If you have only a 10k budget then you are a little short. You will also need insurance because if you damage a house the owner will kill you if you can't pay.

Start with used good equipment. You can set up a rig for cheaper if you are smart about it. Won't be as pretty but will work.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: FLOORING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 3,514

Well six months later where are you and what happened?
If your still in Tampa , try Ameritech on Nebraska avenue, talk to Scott .
I bought an 18 hoarse Honda/cat about 15 years ago used for 1k , still works, I don't use it that often though.
I believe there are trucks that would blow over your startup system in the commercial world and the market is saturated in your area, if you need beer money it could work though!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: concrete restoration and pressure washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
Your in florida, the pressure washing capital of the USA. You should be able to find used equipment so easily. 4 GPM is not going to cut it for commercial. You need to go to 8 and not even mess around with 4 if you want to do commercial. Cleaning concrete takes a lot of flow, and cleaning buildings with high volume low pressure is definitely the way to go. I would guess that you could easily find a used set up on craigslist, papers, or local pressure washing equipment supply house. I would start at your local pressure washing supply houses. And, I would lease a trailer for the first year. Not to trash your idea but that Northstar equipment is not the highest of quality. It may have a Honda motor, cat pump/general pump, but the rest of the parts are usually sub-par for using 5+ hours a day. Some good brands to look out for used would be: Landa, Hydrotek, Hotsy, Pressure-pros, MTM to name a few (in no particular order). If you are serious about commercial, you will need hot water for concrete cleaning. I do not use hot water on any buildings (some people do), but concrete cleans so much easier with hot water.

It would be well worth it to lease the first year so you can actually get your fet wet. And, you do not have to worry about broken down equipment. Once you know what business you are getting you will then know what equipment you need. No need in buying a $10,000 set up if you might decide you want to specialize in roof cleaning (big business in FL).

Good Luck
Great advice, spot on!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
New Guy

hey craig, nice to see a familiar face here

Advertisement

Pressure Washing Baton Rouge