Looking For Advice On Roof Cleaning - Products & Procedures - Pressure Washing - Contractor Talk

Looking For Advice On Roof Cleaning - Products & Procedures

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Trade: roofing siding facia soffit
Rewards Points: 10

Looking For Advice On Roof Cleaning - Products & Procedures

I'm wanting to get started in the roof cleaning business this spring here in NW Ohio. I.m a small time roofing contractor doing 15-20 roofs a year. I try to do things right by using synthetic felt, hand nailing everything and not having any blow-offs, with the exception of one that I did 6 years ago due to air nailing (lost 4 shingles from nailing too high on the last row under cap). It sounds like I'm bragging, I know, but what I'm getting at is I want to use the best products and the best procedure so that I don't have to make excuses, keep changing products, avoid lawsuits over damage ect. I have never advertised, getting all of my work from word of mouth, which I know I'm going to have to do if I'm ever going to get bigger. What I'm asking for is advice from someone who does this type of work in the northern areas that is satisfied with the way they are doing it and so are their customers. I've been looking for a while, some using sodium hydroxide, bleach, ect., some using low pressure, some letting the rain rinse it. I want to be able to say that I'm using something approved by the shingle manufacturer, something that won't damage their shingles, landscape ect. What I need, at this point, is someone who does this type of work to provide me with advice on the type of chemicals and equipment necessary to perform this type of work. What i am not looking for at this point is someone trying to sell me something, i am only looking for clear guidance on this issue.

Thank you in advance.

Tim

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Looking For Advice On Roof Cleaning - Products & Procedures

Ask over hear http://www.cleaningtalk.com/f23/

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
The Roof Cleaners LLC

Trade: Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing

I clean asphalt shingle roofs in PA, DE and MD. I use the only chemicals approved by the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association and the roofs look perfect when I am done.

You can check out my roof cleaning web site. Click on my link in my signature to see my site. (Sorry, I cant make it an active link because I don't have enough post count here) Look at the before and after pictures. They are all performed without any pressure and the results are instantaneous.

There is an association you can join that teaches non pressure roof cleaning. It is the American Roof Cleaners Association. Search A-R-C-A on Google and you will find the link. I can't even post a non active link for you. Sorry! Spend a bunch of time on that site reading and asking questions and you WILL know enough to go out and start cleaning roofs.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

Trade: Fence

American deck products makes a product called ADP-Roof Wash. I personaly have never used it but I have used there other products and they seem to work great maybe give them a call or look them up. americandeckproducts.com
Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
The Roof Cleaners LLC

Trade: Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing

ADP Roof Wash is a sodium percarbonate based cleaner. Those cleaners don't work very well and they require the use of pressure to completely clean the roof. Pressure is a no no on asphalt shingles. Check out The Roof Cleaning Institute of America. That is another roof cleaning instructional forum that can help you with the proper ways to clean a roof.

Brian