Zone Valves And Transformers - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Zone Valves And Transformers

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Zone Valves And Transformers

I know that the Taco company wants a seperate 40va transformer for each three zone valves. But... is there any fundamental reason why you couldn't put 5 or 6 zone valves on one 75va transformer, rather than two 40's? Everything about me wants to say that it will be just fine, but I just want to make sure I'm okay using one big one, rather than two small one's. Don't want to overlook something. Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Re: Zone Valves And Transformers

If I needed to know the answer to this question, you're the one I would have asked.

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
If I needed to know the answer to this question, you're the one I would have asked.
I'm just puzzled why a manufacturer who has their act so together, such as Taco does, would insist on a seperate 40va transformer for each 3 zone valves? Makes me wonder if there's something peculiar about zone valves, or if they're just trying to make it simple for installers to grasp, snice 40va is the typical truck-stock HVAC transformer. Electrically, it is fine to use one big one instead of two small ones. Whether a zone valve itself will care or not, I do not know, but I'm not too up on what's going on inside of zone valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I agree with you MD,
We get 15 VAV boxes on one transformer all the time when it comes to low voltage, as long as youttransformer has the KV needed for the total load, and each valve gets its needed 40a juice, it will not trip in my opinion.
The problem would be the warranty if do not install per manufacturer recommendations. But if it were forr my own home, I wouldn't hesitate.