Wine Cellars - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Wine Cellars

Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Wine Cellars

i am new and certain that this has been covered. But if we may review please. Split system chiller- in Connecticut- hate to put the condensor outside, cold starts kill em even with the heater, hate to put it inside the attic but with ducting to the condensor and the condensor outlet ducted to the outside it may work ? for a long time even. Cellarmate or breezaire ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,331

Re: Wine Cellars

Hey Jay, glad to see you made it to the site. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Professional Remodeler
Rewards Points: 10

Hello from NJ. I learned the hard way. I used a Breezaire split system in a wine cellar we abuilt a year ago. Last year it worked ok, I think winter was a little milder but this year when it got down to 20 degrees or less, the unit would not work well. Breezaire was less than helpful and said install a crankcase heater like it was common knowledge. Nothing in their install specs or lit. refered to this. A heater from Grainger was installed it was marginally better. Hindsite, I would install the cond. unit in the basement, up on blocks, let it blow a little warm air around and that would be that. Again, don't depend on Breezaire, good equipt., crappy cust. serv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

I agree with the basement condenser install, we do it that way all the time. They really don't throw that much heat out. As for ducting condenser air, that will open up a whole can of worms that you don't want to play with. As for a crankcase heater, every compressor should have one with the exception of a domestic refrigerator.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
NICKTECH

Rewards Points: 250

a crankcase heater is just to keep the refrigerant from migrating to the oil on the of cycle. it sounds like the problem is low ambient temps are dropping the liquid saturated temp/pressure to low for the metering device to properly throttle refrig thru. this is common is these applications where there is a low abient situation. a remedy is to either heat up the area with some simple resistive heater or even 100w lights, but this consumes alot of power and require temp control wiring. the proper remedy for this is to install a reverse acting head pressure control that controls the condensor fan motor. the switch is n/o and closes when the head pressure rises high enough to allow the system to work right.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTech View Post
a crankcase heater is just to keep the refrigerant from migrating to the oil on the of cycle. it sounds like the problem is low ambient temps are dropping the liquid saturated temp/pressure to low for the metering device to properly throttle refrig thru. this is common is these applications where there is a low abient situation. a remedy is to either heat up the area with some simple resistive heater or even 100w lights, but this consumes alot of power and require temp control wiring. the proper remedy for this is to install a reverse acting head pressure control that controls the condensor fan motor. the switch is n/o and closes when the head pressure rises high enough to allow the system to work right.

So in plain english what your trying to say is install a fan cycling control.
If your lost baffle them with bull****.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
NICKTECH

Rewards Points: 250

bingo!!

Advertisement