What Is Happening? - HVAC - Contractor Talk

What Is Happening?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #1

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 10

What Is Happening?

It has been well below freezing here the last few days. last night stanfing by my return i could here the blower fan struggling to start so i switched from auto to fan on and it started blowing heat. It did well. This morning i noticed that the air coming up from my vents was less than warm. I put the stat on auto and the vents felt warm again but the fan was not pushing very fast. I put it on fan on and then the fan picked up speed again but it does not feel very warm.
Any wisdom?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Trade: hvac and refrigeration
Rewards Points: 25

Re: What Is Happening?

most indoor fans are multi speed , sounds like your low speed windings are going out, or bearings and when you switch stat to fan on the medium or hi speed windings are able to compensate for bad bearings. of course it could be something else but sounds like this.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Dr Heat

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 306

sounds like its time to call the repair man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
The Flooring Guy

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Heat View Post
sounds like its time to call the repair man
Can you just imagine that bill, especially if your in the snow storm hit areas? Makes you wish you were into HVAC and working 24 hours.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,516

We don't increase the rates just because it's real hot or cold. But, this is a good time of the year to be in hvac
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #6

Trade: a/c heating and refrigeration do electrical small
Rewards Points: 10

Hi Im not exactly sure what kind of system you have but usually a heat cool system combination uses a higher fan speed to move cool air.When you set fan to on ,thats high speed fan and wikll not cycle or shut off in that selection.Usin high speed in heating mode will be running to much air and cool the heat down as its being deliveredto your home.With everything in auto the air doesnt move as fast because hot air or heat is easier to move than cold.hot air is lighter.If its noisy when your changing from auto to on could be bad news,the blower motor might be ready to go out.Its possible to have something else but unlikely!you need service call to give you a definite qualified answer.

Advertisement