Up Selling - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Up Selling

Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Trade: HVAC Service Manager
Rewards Points: 10

Up Selling

Hi I'm new to the site and would like some help. I'm a Serv Manager in a small 3-4 man shop. My problem - upselling. With the down turn in the economy, I'm finding it hard to upsell while on routine PM calls. Wondering what -if any- other service companies offer to thier customers -we've offer programmable t'stats "On sale" during our spring PM's - with the big home stores selling them - we've not had alot of success. Anyone ever offer things like air fresheners for ducts ?? any other suggestions ? Untill the economy picks up - I don't see us selling a lot of new units - plus we have a reputation with our customers NOT to sell them something they don't need !

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Re: Up Selling

How about flushing out the water heater and/ or changing the anode rods?

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,214

You might want to have your techs try to up sell heating concerns. Ya, I know, your doing spring A/C PM's. But few are too concerned right now because its not hot out. And the memory of this winter is still fresh in their minds.

Humidifiers will still be a possible sell to those that had dry skin, scratchy throats this past winter. And those that say they will wait till fall, leave themselves open for you in the fall to get that up sell.

Better air filters, sell them 4" media air filters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #4

Trade: Hvac Professional

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #5

Trade: Ventilation Cleaning and IAQ

Have you looked into some of the less expensive products that you can sell?
I've had pretty good luck with the General G-99 air filter gauge kit. It's a little device that tells a customer when it's time to change their air filter. You can get them for $16 on Amazon and only takes a few min to install. People really like saving money and I try to offer products and services that will save them money in the long run. One of my goals is that my products and services pay for themselves
Old 04-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Trade: HVAC, Refrigeration, & Restaurant Equipment

Try getting the techs to always offer a programable tstat when there is a merc bulb still being used. Selling points: more accurate temp, programmable for energy saving, many now tell when to change filters, large back lit display easy to read for old eyes, and you can have them imprinted with your company name. just to mention a few.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: student again
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asomerstrip View Post
Hi I'm new to the site and would like some help. I'm a Serv Manager in a small 3-4 man shop. My problem - upselling. With the down turn in the economy, I'm finding it hard to upsell while on routine PM calls. Wondering what -if any- other service companies offer to thier customers -we've offer programmable t'stats "On sale" during our spring PM's - with the big home stores selling them - we've not had alot of success. Anyone ever offer things like air fresheners for ducts ?? any other suggestions ? Untill the economy picks up - I don't see us selling a lot of new units - plus we have a reputation with our customers NOT to sell them something they don't need !

Thanks!
Have techs bring an album with pictures of dirty coil. What they look like new, what they look like after one year. What the washing fluid looks like as it cleans dirty coil. Filters are required and they do work, but coils still get dirty.

Sell annual clean up package. Indoor and outdoor coils. Blower fan and maybe complementary filter change with clean up?

Thermostats are easy to install and anyone can do it in five minutes. Coil cleaning is much more difficult. Users are even less inclined to DIY it or not bother with especially if its a RTU or in crawl space and is pain to work with.

Advertisement

Last edited by Electric_Light; 05-02-2011 at 10:48 PM.