Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Underground Gas Lines. What am I looking at?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Ernie in Dawson 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of doing some excavation in my own yard for once and ran across this segment of underground gas line running off the metered side. There is the large cap, a Tee that runs to the house itself, and then a line that's capped. The capped line runs up toward my future shop and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a bit of gas for some heat or maybe a small forge at some point. Is either the large cap or the segment that comes up from the Tee a valve?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm in the process of doing some excavation in my own yard for once and ran across this segment of underground gas line running off the metered side. There is the large cap, a Tee that runs to the house itself, and then a line that's capped. The capped line runs up toward my future shop and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a bit of gas for some heat or maybe a small forge at some point. Is either the large cap or the segment that comes up from the Tee a valve?
I am assuming you are saying downstream of the meter? It does look like a cap. But it is quite unusual to have a tee to tap off of, underground.

#4 · (Edited)
Are you in the South West USA? many times the L.P. tank were buried to allow for a higher fill % and safety reasons.

Alternate II, old grill or fireplace connection...

After the Minneapolis Boom Boom, why even take a chance?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.