Thermostats W/ 'smart' Technology - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Thermostats W/ 'smart' Technology

Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,220

Thermostats W/ 'smart' Technology

I'm curious about the smart technology some thermostats have which can turn on the system to allow it to reach the set temp by the programmed time. So, if at 4:00 it should be 72 degrees, it may turn on at 3:35.

I'm advising on a gymasium w/ two split system units-loose building w/ 35' tall gable ceiling. On particularly cold days the system could be turned on Saturday at 6pm and still not reach 65 degrees by 9am Sunday (normal setback is 55).

question: how effective are the 'smart' thermostat's at doing their job of getting the temp to where it should be at the designated time? Do any of them have an externally mounted temp probe (would seem smarter with this)? finally, HOW does this feature work especially with large temperature flucuations brought about by global warming

The Honeywell t-stat calls there feature "Smart Response Technology"

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Thermostats W/ 'smart' Technology

Some of the thermostats have a learning mode, where they can learn how a system operates and how long it will take to achieve a certain temperature.

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,188

First. if the building doesn't recover by Sunday morning when you set the stat up Saturday night.
Then a set back thermostat isn't what you want or need.
A new heating system, or an improved building envelope is what you need.

If the building is that bad at extreme cold temps. It will only let teh building drop to setback temp for a short period of time before ti goes into recovery. Which means it may run the system all night any way.

They work by monitoring how long they had to run to maintain the setback temp.

If it had to run X minutes to maintain temp, then it will have to run X minutes times 1.018 to increase temp 1F. And new run time X times 1.017 to increase the second degree. And it calculates that how every many degrees it has to increase temp(slightly over simplified, but a good enough explanation).

Does this building have a fresh air intake. If son, it should not be opened during recovery time.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
genecarp (01-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Contractor

I think the entire gymnasium structure is a fresh air intake...but not one designed into the HVAC initial installation.

Beenthere, based on your description, is it 'smart' enough to learn if the time does not reach the set temperature based on the built in table, does it increase the multiplier to increase the turn on time?

thanks for the insite.

system size: all the hot air is at the top of the room (all supplies are on the ceiling). I was on a lift once in that room and the floor area was 65 and 30' in the air it was real hot. not sure a ceiling fan would widthstand the abuse of a kickball, any other ideas for getting hot air down?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,188

They have an installer setting for more aggressive recovery if you find its not reaching temp in time.

Switch to a different register. One that throws the air straight down. And use a continuous fan setting during occupied times.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-18-2010)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Contractor

thanks for the register tip-I didn't think of that.

Advertisement