Testing/training Programs In House. - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Testing/training Programs In House.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Testing/training Programs In House.

I want to setup some type of written test for my guys. Anybody know of some setup that's already made? I don't have a "sky's the limit budget" but if there is already a standardized way to teach ladder / wiring diagrams, how to use a multi meter program, I am open.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,874

Re: Testing/training Programs In House.

A friend who is an HVAC Contractor has made up his own test from everyday occurrences. I believe Trane has helped him also. He holds monthly meetings with his guys who are interested in becoming pro HVAC Techs.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC
Rewards Points: 500

I know the book “Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning” has chapter review tests in it.
A lot of guys may think it’s outdated, but “Doolins’” still has lots of pertinent info on reading wiring diagrams and schematics that you could probably use to make up your own tests.
I just got a flyer from RSES offering the SAM on CD for $15.00 to members. That’s unheard of. I think I paid like $100.00 for the CD about 8-years ago.
You could likely use the SAM CD to make up your own tests as well or possibly even display it on a big screen TV in the shop for review.
Heck, for $15.00 you could probably buy all the guys their own SAM CD to study at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuMass For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (10-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Pro

Personally, I absorb information through reading better than listening. Obviously we gain the most by physically doing the work. But there are sometimes in which book smarts is necessary also.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC

I was just pawing through the bookshelf and found my old RSES/NATE reference manual from 1999. They have review questions at the end of each chapter, so if you happen to have any NATE propaganda kicking around, that might be another source of inspiration.

Also, for heating systems, check out section 16 [Technical Information] toward the back of the FW Webb catalog.
They have some decent troubleshooting info, wiring diagrams, flow charts, etc.
I see that it’s available online now.

Here is the link to it:
http://issuu.com/fwwebb/docs/2008htg...f0&layout=grey

Last edited by DuMass; 10-19-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: student again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Personally, I absorb information through reading better than listening. Obviously we gain the most by physically doing the work. But there are sometimes in which book smarts is necessary also.
I've known adults that do not know how to read tables and flow charts. I don't expect these people to be able to make good diagnostics.

If you tell me "we replaced the gas valve and the IFC" just because it wasn't responding to call for heat, I'm going to be . If you don't have the theoretical knowledge, you'll be missing out. You maybe skipping where you shouldn't, or you are going through each little stupid process.

I don't even do anything remotely related to HVAC, but I've never really had difficulty fixing furnaces.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: HVAC Service Technician --RSES CM-- NATE Certifie
Rewards Points: 150

There are some interactive questions at http://www.hvac-pro.org/Practice.htm
that you may find useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to MechAcc For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-25-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 1,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMass View Post
I was just pawing through the bookshelf and found my old RSES/NATE reference manual from 1999. They have review questions at the end of each chapter, so if you happen to have any NATE propaganda kicking around, that might be another source of inspiration.

Also, for heating systems, check out section 16 [Technical Information] toward the back of the FW Webb catalog.
They have some decent troubleshooting info, wiring diagrams, flow charts, etc.
I see that it’s available online now.

Here is the link to it:
http://issuu.com/fwwebb/docs/2008htg...f0&layout=grey

Because of the way NATE reviews question are asked/worded. A lot of good techs can give the wrong answers to those questions. And be over looked because of the wording.

I'm a bit of a gadget guy. But, I like simple test questions.

Question:

You turn on a gas furnace, during its pre-ignition/pre-purge cycle. You have your multimeter connected across the pressure switch. You see that you lost 24 volts. this a sign that:

A. The ignition board is bad.
B. The switch is bad.
C. The inducer is bad.
D. The switch is working correctly.
E. None of the above.

Question:

Your on an A/C no cooling call. You have your gauges connected and start the system. Both the indoor blower and outdoor fan are running in proper direction and speed. Your head pressure goes to 500 PSIG, and your vapor pressure goes to 115 PSIG. This is a sign that.

A. The compressor is bad.
B. The metering device is clogged.
C. Someone has over charged the system.
D. The condenser coil is dirty
E. None of the above.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Lighting automation
Rewards Points: 25

I've always been interested (puzzled) by ladder diagrams, so I searched and found this (first) link. It starts at the very basic, then keeps on going.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_6/1.html
Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Pro

Mr. Light, how does your capabilities to fix furnaces have anything to do with the topic of training in hvac? The purpose of was to figure out how I can go about to get some aides which aren't too financially or time consuming.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: student again

It doesn't.. the main statement in that post was many of those already in "trade" do not know how to read diagrams, schematics or charts.

Some of older Fluke manuals had theory of operation, example usage and such. Newer ones are much tame and have much less actual use. You should figure out the existing knowledge of your students/techs. If they need to be taught from the scratch, get an electronics basic text book or a book that explains basic symbols, like capacitor, relay, switch, transformer etc so you are not spending time explaining what they are.

Take a picture of an actual control system, like inside, then superimpose schematic in paint if you're dealing with visual learners. Start poking at the picture with a multimeter and explain what you're looking for and why.
The Following User Says Thank You to Electric_Light For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (11-26-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #12

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 33

As previous stated ,Trane and Carrier have training seminars and materials for teaching basic electrical theory. I would first give out a math test to see how much they remember from their H.S.days. If they have a hard time with the math they will not understand anything else.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitter View Post
As previous stated ,Trane and Carrier have training seminars and materials for teaching basic electrical theory. I would first give out a math test to see how much they remember from their H.S.days. If they have a hard time with the math they will not understand anything else.
I use to be able to do a lot of math in my head. not as good as I use to be. So I carry a calculator with me. Knowing how to do the math, and when to do it, is very important.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #14

Trade: hvac
Rewards Points: 33

Same here, I would always have a pocket calculator and a card with formulars for reference. Knowing where to look up the info was easier than trying to remember everything.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Regarding post#8- I don't know about the nate training material per sea , but the test itself definitely needs to be rewritten. Shot the Nate boss a scathing email following my test. In all my years of test taking, union, college, etc, never have I taken a more poorly written/worded test. Rex had some bozo minion followup and offer the opportunity to join in on the exam committee in the Midwest on my nickel. Not. Can't fix the problem with the same logic that created it.

Carrier offers all kinds of basic skills materials at reasonable rates, I'm sure other mfg.'s do the same.

Might be better/easier to find a guy with basic skills from the start, someone that's shown initiative and a gpa? Then build on that.

No skills= driver, shop guy. I see guys at the parts counters without EPA
cards, how are they deemed employable. Following behind them is good for business but reflects poorly on the industry.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: HVAC Service Technician --RSES CM-- NATE Certifie
Rewards Points: 150

Don't know if the following link, I loaded it at another talk site, will work but I had a copy of Trane's Residential Gas Furnace Operations that had been copied so many times that it was almost unreadable. Took the time retype and paint brush edited the drawings. Goes over the sequence of operation of standing pilot, mercury flame sensing, Honeywell Intermittent Pilot, White Rodgers hot surface ignition systems. No integrated furnace control in this book. Download the following Residential Gas Furnace Operations
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
Pro

Mech. With all the good stuff you post. You should be on something like an educational committee of some place. LOL

Nice document.

Advertisement