Simple Diagnosis Help On Older Williams Upright Wall Furnace - Gas, Automatic Pilot - HVAC - Contractor Talk

Simple Diagnosis Help On Older Williams Upright Wall Furnace - Gas, Automatic Pilot

Old 02-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Simple Diagnosis Help On Older Williams Upright Wall Furnace - Gas, Automatic Pilot

Trying to save replacing the a furnace in one of our rentals. It's internal components seem to be in good shape & should function for several more years if I can get it to fire again. I have some experience with these, but would LOVE your input. Thanks in advance!!!

Here's my diagnosis thus far:

-Disabled thermostat to remove from picture. Connected directly @ furnace connection to bypass potential faulty wire,etc.
-Power to furnace good. Brand new 20amp line.
-Gas flow to furnace is good.
-Furnace powers on and attempts to light pilot light
Sounds like spark is working, but unable to visually verify this. Clicking sound definitely apparent.
-Removed valve/burner unit. Cleaned thoroughly with air gun & 120grit sand paper to remove residue from spark tip.
-Internal electrical wiring all appears to be sound. Checked connections at terminals. Traced wired. All appears normal.

So the story at this point is the furnace tries to start up and light the pilot light. There does not appear to be any gas getting from the inlet, thru the furnace control valve, and to the pilot light. No smell of gas. The furnace sits, times out after trying to spark, and then shuts down till I reset it.

I imagine it's the furnace gas valve. I've also had it suggested that it's the thermocouple, but wouldn't that just prevent me from lighting up the furnace since the pilot wasn't burning?

Any help would be huge! Thank you!!

Last edited by eModPro; 02-11-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add photos

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: HVAC Service Technician --RSES CM-- NATE Certifie
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Simple Diagnosis Help On Older Williams Upright Wall Furnace - Gas, Automatic Pilot

Model # ?

White Rodgers mercury flame sensor system? Electronic ignition system? Make? Might be helpful.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #3

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Simple Diagnosis Help On Older Williams Upright Wall Furnace - Gas, Automatic Pilot

Furnace: Williams 455Fie 55k btu Spark electrode tes
Valve: Honeywell vr8204m 1190 24v 60hz p321766

I don't have anything else with me at the moment, but I can take down any other numbers that may be helpful.

Thanks

Tags
furnace , gas , light , pilot , williams